Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24653 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:40:39 pm »

You were born the sixthborn child, your father a rich and influential baron of a minor house, your mother a member of an ancient and proud house that has long been waning in strength. Your five elder siblings have each been greatly successful in building the strength and reputation of your family. Your eldest sibling Varill has already proven himself a capable administrator and worthy successor to his fathers holdings, being diligent and fair-minded. Your sister Helia is a noted thinker and philospher, in her prime and married to an equally brilliant engineer and architect. Faria secured a marriage alliance with a formerly rival family, with skilled diplomacy singlehandedly ending the feud and forging a strong friendship between Houses. Bast was knighted several years ago, and is quickly proving himself to be one of the more skilled commanders of the realm. Sellick finally, is a skilled politician by any reckoning, securing himself his own fiefdom through careful manoeuvring, and recently having been named as one of the king's own advisers. 

That leaves you, twenty years old, and the truth is that you've never measured up to the accomplishments of your elder siblings. You have little hope of inheritance, and your parents have had little luck in finding you a good match. Your fate is worse than mere mediocrity however, as you've become quite the public embarrassment, and your father has come to resent you as a drain on the family's reputation and resources.

As such, after negotiations with the crown he's seen fit to "Reward" you with a position in service to the crown. You're to be named governor of a particularly desolate stretch of the borderlands, with the dubious responsibility of administering over a land torn by war, poverty and disease, which is truthfully mostly wilderness and land that the crown rules only in name. If that wasn't bad enough, this particular stretch of the borderlands has a reputation for being a haven for fugitives hoping to start a new life or avoid the law,and with many nobles more or less unofficially banishing undesirable subjects to the settlements there. If you're being honest, you suppose you're more or less being unofficially banished too. 

What is your name and gender?

Exactly what sort of embarrassment are you? (Determines starting stats and reputation, also gives you a single companion relevant to that backstory.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What is the name of the territory you are being appointed to govern?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:22:18 pm by Mlamlah »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A management suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:43:58 pm »

Kirai Tirla

Female.

-Occultist: You've been delving into forbidden texts in search of forgotten magic, in search of power many would call evil. When you started the pursuit the affair struck you as mysterious and alluring, but you made little progress. You're a dabbler in the black arts to be sure, but shedding your own blood to break wineglasses and kill flowers strikes you as the opposite of ultimate power. Worse, your pursuits were made public knowledge.

Tolvit.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »

Lorence Tomalie

Male.

Hunter.

Duelist. Fighting is just too much fun and the blood we sweat feels to good. I just wish it wasn't looked down on for maiming the kid who accepted my challenge. Pfft, Bast was right I should have only dueled him instead of these porcelain doll boys.

We shall have to work hard to claim independance of this new borderland.

Territory: Dhum-Blud.

A land home to many ruins of ancient civilazations long destroyed or forgotten. Many of the still standing ruins are being used by bandits and others to hide when the rain comes. If a civilazation once stood here then perhaps we can make it rise again in our own image..first we'll need some troops though.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:15:55 pm by 3man75 »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:31:45 pm »

Lorence Tomalie

Male.

Hunter.

Duelist. Fighting is just too much fun and the blood we sweat feels to good. I just wish it wasn't looked down on for maiming the kid who accepted my challenge. Pfft, Bast was right I should have only dueled him instead of these porcelain doll boys.

A land home to many ruins of ancient civilazations long destroyed or forgotten. Many of the still standing ruins are being used by bandits and others to hide when the rain comes. If a civilazation once stood here then perhaps we can make it rise again in our own image..first we'll need some troops though.
+1 if we change the name to something like: Adeeb Wasirri

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:13:30 pm »

Lorence Tomalie

Male.

Hunter.

1+

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:15:55 pm »

I don't mind the name change.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 03:00:40 pm »

Lorence Tomalie

Male.

Hunter.

1+
+ the 1

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 07:28:33 pm »

Lorence Tomalie

Male.

Hunter.

1+
+ the 1
+1

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 08:17:47 pm »

PTW

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:44:29 pm »

Governor Adeeb Wasirri
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You are Adeeb Wasirri. When you were young you developed a fascination with tales of swashbucklers and duelists, and as you grew older you took to attempting to act out and live the fantasies of your childhood. Your parents were willing to indulge you in your fascinations by hiring you tutors in the gentlemanly arts, and as such you have developed a minimum competence in riding, and courtly manners, though in truth swordsmanship is the only thing you took to with true glee. The minutia of military logistics and the hard training of a knight held little appeal to you, despite attempts by your relatives to foster an interest in such practical matters.

Instead of seeking a respected profession you delved into duelling culture and everything that entailed. Over the course of your attempts to establish yourself as a respected duellist you both attended the schools of respected martial artists and brushed shoulders with the seedy underworld of professional fighters and mercenaries. The former you found boring, and the respectable masters who managed such classes and took apprentices in sword-work were more interested in gaining the patronage of a noble family than in entertaining your lust for adventure. The latter however, gave you all kinds of opportunities for adventure and offered danger and excitement. You gained experience dealing with smugglers and gladiators, and occasionally got yourself involved in troublesome dealings merely for the thrill. Eventually though the skulduggery grew boring and needlessly serious, so you abandoned it in search of the spotlight.

You took to challenging fellow members of the nobilty to duels with live steel, whether fellow duellist or not. Most rejected your challenge, but eventually after a day of needling and insulting you managed to get the young nephew of a count to accept your challenge. He was four years your junior, and far from a warrior, totally unprepared for a challenging opponent, and quite by accident you lopped off his limb at the forearm, leaving him crippled. The scandal left a stain on your family's still short legacy, and while your father managed to protect you from formal charges it would have looked badly for him to keep you around. All of your old companions and tutors abandoned you for fear of being associated with you, and the betrayal of those you had regarded as friends leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Only Vest has stuck by your side, a lowborn duelist and former smuggler who is as much banished as you are at this point, and who has offered to join with you.

So he's sent you to Dhum-Blud, a festering wound of a borderland province, to govern it in the name of the crown. In large part the province is only crown land in name, with only a few tiny Velgarian settlements and almost no maintained infrastructure. What isn't overgrown wilderness is controlled by bandits, or by the warrior-chieftans who legally don't live there. The claim that the land is part of Velgar is as dubious as the suggestion that you are being "rewarded" in being named it's Governor. Your father hasn't left you completely high and dry however, nor cut off ties completely. He's given you the services of twenty of your family's household gaurdsmen, as well as a bag of gold and a well-bred riding horse, and assured you that if you ever find yourself in a totally dire position he would be willing to give you help, dissapointing as he would find it that you cannot stand on your own two feet.

After a long ride, you, your guardsmen and your only remaining friend make it to your new castle, Bonewatch, though you muse that it being yours you could name it something different. Actually, now that you're looking upon the thing, the name of "castle" to begin with is far too generous a term. It's little more than a tiny stone keep on a hill, a bailey really, with a rickety wall  surrounding it and a handful of other buildings. The garrison is skeletal in size, judging from the completely unmanned watchtowers on the periphery. It takes well over five minutes to coax the lazy guards to open the gate, which you truthfully could have had your men break down faster. Once you're within the rickety walls and the guards know who you are, you are met by a trio of men claiming to be the last governor's advisor's.  The first is an impossibly old seeming man named Aldagor, apparently a Barister, dressed in plain grey robes but covered in so much tacky gold jewellery that you muse it's a wonder he can stand up. The second is named Balpher, the garrison commander at Bonewatch, he's dressed in a rather impractical studded leather jerkin and is truthfully much too unfit looking to have much credibility as a military commander of any sort. The third is Desan, a steward, and you would find it hard to believe he's any older than are, maybe even younger.

So far it's hard to fight down the lump of despair building up in your throat, but you suppose these are your councillors now, and this is the first impression they will have of you.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:14:07 pm »

"Gentleman, we have alot of work ahead of us. I have big plans for this borderland territory and I hope you are all ready for the hardships of creating a land with more..oppertunity here.

What, I dare ask, can we do about this Castle's repairs and expansion?"

Details on the men we have, sources of income, groups of bandits/tribes/settlements we should know about, and how can we recruit more men.

We need to gather up men to start laying down the law I imagine. Then we can extract taxes turn this Castle into a Fortress..Eventually.

Also I think a name change from "Bonewatch" to "Castellum". Castellum being cooler sounding and is Latin for Fortress.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:16:41 pm »

Use what training we have in courtly manners to introduce ourselves, then ask some pointed questions about why the watchtowers are unmanned in a province ravaged by bandits and barbarian warriors. Don't go so far as to accuse anyone of incompetence (yet) but make it clear this situation is both dangerous and intolerable.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 09:28:19 pm »

Greet them properly, and inquire as to why the watchtowers were unmanned.
After introductions are done proceed to the keep, and ask for them to give us a run down of the region's current situation, and our available resources.
Keep the 'castle' name as Bonewatch.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 09:32:12 pm »

Use what training we have in courtly manners to introduce ourselves, then ask some pointed questions about why the watchtowers are unmanned in a province ravaged by bandits and barbarian warriors. Don't go so far as to accuse anyone of incompetence (yet) but make it clear this situation is both dangerous and intolerable.
1+ then request reports on the state of this region.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:00:04 pm »

Greet them properly, and inquire as to why the watchtowers were unmanned.
After introductions are done proceed to the keep, and ask for them to give us a run down of the region's current situation, and our available resources.
Keep the 'castle' name as Bonewatch.

+1
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22