Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]  (Read 18326 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:58 am »

"So quick to offense, Abdul. I was only implying that perhaps some towers may not be interested in such a course of action. I think that this compromise is fine and good. Shall we add our donation status to our vote for issue number three? I am quite ready to move to voting unless someone else has anything to add.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 08:36:52 pm »

There is a measure of murmuring amongst the various Towers.  After some discussion one of them stands.

TOWER:  "The plan has merit, and a number of Towers are willing to consider sub-loaning Ragona money on these terms, but we are unwilling to pledge without a show of belief in your words.  If you can gather pledges of a thousand denarii, the rest of us shall be willing to pledge as we see fit."

SENEX:  "Very well, I shall include a fourth motion: If you believe that both aqueduct and loan should be carried out, and you are willing to pledge money towards this goal, you may vote for that motion."

An aide moves up to the Senex Princeps. He listens for a moment, then stands up and strikes the floor again, twice this time.

SENEX: "All that had to be said has been said. The sun is past its midpoint. The voting begins now."

Young boys rush into the chamber, bringing quills and wax tablets for all Towers present.

The Afternoon Phase has begun.  You may vote Aye/Nay on all four motions - motions 2 and 3 are mutually exclusive.  To vote Aye on motion 4, you must pledge denarii from your treasury.  Non-votes count as Abstaining.  You have approximately 12-24 hours to vote.

The motions are as follows:

1. That the Centuria will enact temporary conscription of unemployed men between 18-36 without families, for service in the Centuria for one year.  Conscription will remain active for 6 months.

2. That the city shall build an aqueduct from Lavia's Hills to the Cupola District.

3. That the city will extend a loan of 6000 denarii (in ducats) to the Ningard Emperor for a duration of 6 months, at a rate of 12% per year interest.

4. That the city shall pass both motions 2 and 3, relying upon pledges from the Towers to fulfil the terms of the loan.  A Tower voting Aye on this motion must pledge denarii to assist.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:23 pm »

Aye, aye, abstain, and aye. I will pledge 200 denarii to this endeavor.

Edit: Fixed voting in case 4 fails.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:26:42 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 09:17:21 pm »

Aye, aye, nay, and aye. I will also pledge 200 denarii to motion four.

((I think 2 and 3 are still mutually exclusive, so he knows which will pass if 4 fails. Also, ignore this if I'm not supposed to be in the game yet.))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 10:24:40 pm »

Fixed.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 12:53:53 am »

Yes, Yes, No, Yes. Pledge 200 Denarii.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 03:58:01 am »

Tower Elbegast looks up from a slim volume on strategy and places his votes.

Aye
Aye
Nay
Nay

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 09:46:02 am »

Avery places his vote "Yes for conscription, yes for the aqueduct, and we pledge 400 Denarii"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 02:20:04 pm »

Aye, Aye, NAY, Abstain

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 07:51:43 pm »

The voting ends.  All Towers return their tablets to the boys, who present them to the Senex.

Results of Voting

Motion 1: 45 Aye

Motion 2: 45 Aye

Motion 3: 31 Nay, 14 Abstain

Motion 4: 34 Aye, 5 Nay, 6 Abstain  [1000d]

The Senex stands.

SENEX:  "The votes have been counted.  It is the will of this Council that we implement the conscription law and construct the proposed aqueduct, whilst offering the Ningard Emperor a loan based on pledges collected from those Towers friendly to the design.  The issues of the day have been resolved, and I therefore call this meeting to an end."

The Senex strikes his staff once, and the Towers disperse.

In addition to the money contributed by the other Towers, Houses Goldbloom, Alhazred and Richards are owed 224d by the state, and House Windborn is owed 448d, to be repaid in six months' time - in early October.

It is now the Night Phase.  You may now send your Actions to the GM via PM.  Once received they will be processed, actions resolved, pre-day messages sent and the new Day will begin.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 10:15:12 pm »

Late Martius, 263R

Once again the Council have gathered in the spacious Hall of the Towers. The Senex Princeps, Chief of the Centuria, The Highest Judge and Master of the Coin are all here, along with 41 Towers.  The Senex Princeps begins to speak once everyone is seated on the low stone benches, which form a wide circle around the center of the hall.  The Senex and the three other Crowns, as they are called together, are seated at the northern side.

SENEX:  "Councilmembers, welcome. Before we begin, the Master of Coin would like to say a few words."

The Master stands.

MASTER:  "Thank you, Senex.  I would like to extend my gratitude to the Patriots of Ragona, who graciously donated funds to cover one quarter of the cost of the aqueduct project.  These noble Towers are an example of the true national spirit of Ragona."

The Master sits.

SENEX:  "Thank you.  Today we have to discuss and decide on two topics. First of all: The neighbouring city-state of Lorenze has requested our military aid against their neighbour, the city-state of Irlax.  Irlax has recently invaded Lorenze on the pretext of a political divorce, but seems to be primarily interested in territorial gains.  We are not political allies of Lorenze or Irlax, although we have had cordial relations with both in the past.  They are requesting the aid of 6 maniples of men."

[In this case, for the strength and equipment of the men in question, a maniple is equal to a Unit.]

The Master stands, as does the Chief of the Centuria.

MASTER:  "I cannot recommend more strongly against intervention in this war.  The requested amount of troops would consist of three quarters of the legion-"

CHIEF:  "Three fifths, thanks to the conscription law, and we need less of a garrison on hand now that the plebs are more secure about the new aqueduct."

MASTER:  "Nevertheless, the fact remains that both Lorenze and Irlax are our trading partners.  Assisting Lorenze will anger Irlax, and whilst refusal may annoy Lorenze, we have no alliance with them and are under no obligation to assist.  Furthermore, the contribution of six maniples would at best enable us to push back the Irlaxi, but hardly secure a definite victory.  We would be potentially stuck in a stalemate for months, ruining our trade.  The best solution is simply to stay out."

CHIEF:  "You are right that we have no alliance with Lorenze - we have no alliances at all!  We have played the game of neutrality for so long that nobody is our friend.  By taking their side in this war we can forge an alliance with them, and then they will have our backs in future conflicts.  Right now, all it would take is a single strong opponent to give us trouble - and Irlax is one such opponent.  With the Irlaxi at our frontier, how could we be sure that they would not do the same to us?  I must recommend we join this war against Irlax."

They sit, and the Senex continues.

SENEX:  "Second, the Cult of the Black Sun has requested permission to build a temple within the city walls.  To date there have only been a handful of private shrines, all outside the walls.  Just five years ago, even these were not known.  The Council must consider whether we wish to allow such a cult to spread into our city, and so quickly.

The Highest Judge stands.

JUDGE:  "I say without reservation that this motion must be rejected.  Their worship stands against the traditions of Ragona's ancestral faiths, and yet they demand to have a temple within the walls as if they were one of them?  Pfah!  To permit such a building would be to give their corrupt cult legitimacy, and that cannot be allowed.  Why, they even have their own bands of thugs and ruffians in the streets beyond the walls, lording it over the residents in spite of the law!  Such men should be rounded up and hanged!"

One of the Towers raises a hand, and with a nod from the Senex he stands.

TOWER:  "I must counsel against the honoured Crown in this matter.  The Cult has not demanded, but requested permission to build their house of worship.  Nor are there bands of ruffians in the streets flouting the law - there is no law!  The Centuria do not patrol the districts of the poor and needy, preferring to protect the houses of the wealthy where they can be assured of fat capons and fatter tips!  The cult has attracted volunteers, stolid men, who help protect the poor and vulnerable in the outer city from the rogues and brigands that have always operated there.  Such men should be honoured, not hanged.  The cult is popular with the plebs, and they tend to the poor and needy and protect them as well.  Why should they not have a temple, as other gods do?"

Both men sit, and the Senex continues.

SENEX:  "If any Towers wish to speak on these proposals, you may begin."

The Senex lifts the iron staff that is his symbol of office and strikes the marble floor thrice - Clang, Clang, Clang! - The time of discussion is now.

Morning Phase has begun.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 10:32:46 pm »

On the issue of forging an ally in the midst of combat, I must graciously say I am against it. Our new men have just now entered training and are not ready for breaking up street fights, much less going to war. However, I do propose we make the best of this situation. If trade is what we want, then its trade we shall have. I suggest we sell the two cities Ragona brand weaponry and allow them to come to whatever violent conclusion that they must. In the end, we have made a grand profit and the victor shall have our swords to thank for it.

As for the encroaching religion, I am in favor of allowing the cult within these walls under a few premises. The first, is that they shall be taxed for such a privilege. These walls and the people within belong to the many gods of Ragona. Without their guidance, Ragona would not be the jewel she is today. Secondly, The cult must not be allowed to form political groups. The influence of the Dark Pope shan't be allowed within this court.  With these two premises in place, I would be very willing to allow them a temple within the city. As long as they know that we are bestowing them a privilege, not allowing them a right, then I have no qualms with the free practice of charitable and good deeds within these hallowed walls. 

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 10:44:06 pm »

"We should not go to war with the Irlaxi. Both Lorenze and Irlax are our trading partners, and if we got involved in the war, we would suffer greatly. We have no reason to believe that we would gain anything from this war except for an alliance, and the destruction of a potential enemy. However, we can know for sure that Ragona would lose many of its brave defenders, and much of its tax income. We should merely sit on the sidelines, and wait for this war to end. Intervening will cost us too much for too little."

"As for the Black Sun, we should not let this cult into our city so readily. They go against our religion that has lasted longer then any can remember, and letting them build a true temple inside of our city gates is too much. Their populist, plebeian point of view would be far too appealing for the lower classes, and I think it's best we keep the Black Sun out of our city until we can better integrate them with our own religion. They can still worship in their own homes, of course, but giving them a temple this quickly is a step too far."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 11:02:07 pm »

Tower Elbegast takes to the floor. "Law, both natural and codified, is the foundation upon which our noble city thrives. Irlax have shown by their invasion of Lorenze that they care not for natural law. If they are willing to abuse one neighbour for territory, how long shall it be before they turn their gaze upon us?

"Our course is simple: we do not follow Tower Goldbloom's ill-considered notion of arming a potential future foe. No, instead we should come to the aid of Lorenze. We would have no trading partner in them should they be ruined by war.

"For those worried about a protracted conflict or the strain to our forces, fear not. As a true patriot of Ragona I will lend my own strength to the campaign. I am sure I am not the only Tower who is so willing. Together with the Centuria we could easily muster double the required maniples and also thereby decrease the risk each of our good men would face."

"Regarding the Black Sun, I am eager to hear more arguments as to whether or not they should be allowed within our walls. What concerns me more is the implication my honoured Tower made that the Centuria do not patrol all districts evenly. The law should apply to every part of the city, should it not?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 03:29:50 pm »

Stonetree stands up after Elbegast is finished.

The Black Sun is a fanatic, theocratic bunch of criminals. That is esteemed Tower Elbegast why we should not let them in. I do not trust them one bit. TOday it is a temple, tomorrow a cathedral, then official representation. Then they suddenly want to be recognized as the official religion of Ragona and before you look they will burn us at the stakes for heretics while their Priests will take over government. To let the hawker get a foot in your door spells assured doom.

That aside...im curious How would the situation look if we would support Irlax instead of Lorenze...purely hypothetical i mean? What would we stand to gain in territory and would it be a shorter campaign?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27