Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]  (Read 18304 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]
« Reply #390 on: September 19, 2015, 06:18:12 am »

"As you can hear, my fellow Towers, the man is a direct culprit of guilt, as he is both the tool and the assassin. However, his contribution to investigation should allow for leniency in his case.

What it does allow us to see is the fact of murder organized by the tower Windborn. Poison followed tower Stonetree after he refused and it ended up killing him in the arrow, that in itself was already deadly. That is, who else would plot ot murder him and his staff if not the desperate and scared tower Windborn?

A question arises however - why choose such a blunt and risky way, with outright blame laid on him straight away? What thoughts crossed his mind to inspire him to commit this murder?

Your Honour, I would like to call on the defendant to answer some of my questions. I would like to also request a pardon for the servant for cooperation with Centuria."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2015, 06:21:32 pm »

"His testimony will be considered during sentencing, yes. Assuming you have no further questions, counsel may cross-examine your witness, and then you can call the defendant to the stand."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 21, 2015, 02:26:19 pm »

After the end of the Prosecution's argument, Tower Jayne spend a few minutes reviewing his notes and conferring with a couple other Towers before standing up.

"Noble Crowns, Esteemed Towers, Your Honor,

When I took up this case, I expected I would have to defend a guilty man. Tower Windborn was the prime suspect, said the Centuria, and I had no reason to doubt them. Still, when no one else volunteered,I offered to serve as the defense's counsel. Defending the guilty might be less politically appealing than trying to secure a popular conviction, but it is something that must be done if our republicans ideals are to be preserved.

However, the more I dug into the case, the more I interrogated witnesses and the more I reviewed what little evidence the prosecution would let me have access to, the less convinced I was of Tower Windborn's guilt. I do not claim to know who caused the death of Harald Stonetree, but I think it is not Tower Windborn.

If the Judge permits, I would like to first discuss why the evidence presented by the prosecution does not establish Avery Windborn's guilt. I will then offer the reasons I think him innocent.

First I will deal with the matter of the documentary evidence offered by the prosecution. Leaving aside the fact that this evidence was produced by Jeremi Stonetree - hardly a neutral party - it establish very little indeed. Tower Riskov would have us belief that Tower Windborn wanted to murder Tower Goldbloom, an old friend of his. That Tower Windborn, contrary to all precautions, brought in a third party, whose contribution to the planned murder would have been minimal. That finally, that third party having refused to participate in the assassination, Avery Windborn forgot entirely about his target, and went on a murder spree in Tower Stonetree's household. Finally, that Tower Stonetree, knowing that Tower Windborn had planned an assassination during the concert, still decided to attend.

I do not think I need to point the many failings of that line of though. Still you may ask, what of the letters? What of the meeting?

Well, the letter is genuine enough, and the meeting did take place as described in the Stonetree diary. There is however a perfectly innocent reason for them: Tower Windborn had learned that some enmity existed between his friend Goldbloom and Tower Stonetree. To make sure that Stonetree was not planning some dirty trick, he posed as a would-be assassins, trying to get into Stonetree's confidence.

The witness is a sham. Accused of murder, and with cooperation his only hope to save his neck a man would say anything that might get him out alive. Anyone can see this man learned that speech by heart, and he couldn't even learn it well.

Tower Riskov claims this man is a servant of the Windborns, but neither I nor any other Tower I talked to remember ever seeing him on the Windborn estate. If you bring Avery Windborn from his cell, he would swear in front of the gods that this man is no member of this household.

Now, here is why I do not think Tower Windborn was behind the Stonetree assassination. First of all, those of you that were in the amphitheater on that fateful day will remember that Tower Windborn was standing close enough to Tower Stonetree as to be splattered by his blood. For those that weren't , I have here the clothes worn by Windborn on that day.

What assassin would stand less than a yard from his target, knowing an arrow would come this way any moment? But for a gust of wind, we could be holding the trial of the murderer of Avery Windborn on this day!!

The second reason I do not believe in Avery Windborn's guilt is the untimely demise of our Judge. I think that the death of two of our Tower at a short interval is best explained by a single killer. Avery Windborn however was taken into custody by the Centuria almost immediately after the death of Harald Stonetree. Unless you believe the Centuria let him mastermind the murder of the judge from behind his cell's walls, I have to conclude that Tower Windborn was not involved.

Noble Crowns, Esteemed Towers, Your Honor, I do not know who murdered Harald Stonetree. I do not even know if Harald Stonetree was even the intended target of the murder. But I know we have no solid reasons to believe Tower Windborn had anything to do with it."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2015, 06:32:29 pm »

"Of course he will swear that he knows not the man, he wants to save his neck!"

Tower Riskov rose and smiled as he delivered his rebuttal.

"My dear Tower Jayne, I hope you trust in integrity of the Centuria, for they captured the shooter on the spot, with the bow in his hand so to speak. There is no doubt about his master either, as he is been confirmed as a man hired by Tower Windborn not too long ago, for this specific purpose. Of course household staff won't confirm him, but his connections are sure enough from my investigations."

He smirked and looked Jeyne in the eye.

"Not to mention, you have answered my 'why'. Tower Windborn, the ever ready friend, got the wind of disagreements between Goldblooms and Stonetrees, and decided to act with an offer. Perhaps he was not a friend of Stonetree, like he claims he was? I think its worthwile to consider the option, especially when the victim was asked to sit next to Goldbloom. Now, who can blame a man for attending the theatre? I was there myself when the event occurred. Was the arrow amiss, or intended for someone else? Maybe, maybe not, I shall not discuss that. But the shooter was confident that he hit his intended target and not only that, he confirmed all of the details from the journal. Tower Stonetree was the target, for one reason or another."

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:38:19 pm by Ardas »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 23, 2015, 05:02:25 am »

"Confirmed by whom? I do not doubt your integrity, but in matters as grave as these, I will need more than your word if you assert to have proof this man was hired by Tower Windborn."

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 23, 2015, 05:43:36 am »

"His payroll perhaps? Or the money he received so far, all with a receipt from Windborn chamberlain?"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:48 am »

"Were is that money? Where is this receipt, and how come it was not included in the evidence I could review?

If it does exist, and it is genuine, it might change my opinion. I am sure that Tower Windborn has a good explanation, and I call Tower Windborn to testify."

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 28, 2015, 08:46:17 am »

The master Windborn chamberlain enters, he is a short and stout man, dressed in simple robes, he carries a pile of papers and books, he seems very nervous, and when he speaks, it is in a low rumble "I am sorry to report that master Windborn is very busy filling out some adoption papers, however, I have in my hands the employment records of the last three months, and if you check in this, 5 fortnights ago he was hired as a Private investigator for a murder of one of master Windborn's childhood friends."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 29, 2015, 07:34:32 am »

"I believe the receipt is... here." Alexei smiled.

"Your Honour, fellow Towers, I have no further questions."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 29, 2015, 10:49:09 am »

Tower Jayne rises once more. His voice is calm, but his trembling lips betray the fury that rage in him.

"Your Honour, Noble Crowns, Esteemed Towers if I may I would like to make one last speech.

Everything I said here was the truth, or what I believed at the time to be the truth. I did not however have knowledge of the more recent evidence by Tower Riskov.

Faced with that evidence, I have to publicly change my mind. I now believe that Tower Windborn did indeed order the incident that killed Tower Stonetree, even if I am still not certain he was the intended target.

But in addition I have to make public the fact that from start to finish, Tower Windborn served me nothing but a tissue of lie. I believed him, thinking any sane man would be forthright with his counsel, and he used that trust to make me a fool.

Your Honour, Noble Crowns, Esteemed Towers, Tower Windborn is a confused fool. But he is a murderous one. Like a rabid dog, I now believe he must be put down for the good of the City. Your honour, I ask you to punish him with the utmost severity."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 06, 2015, 06:08:55 pm »

Judge Richards waves away the two Towers, before rising and walking to the center.

"No more comments. I have made my decision."

"Avery Windborn. You are a plague on this city. For reasons we may never, truly know, you chose to kill an upstanding member of the Tower Council. You lied, not just to your fellow Towers, but even your counsel, putting your own, misguided aims above the well-being of the people. This city has given you everything, and we will gladly take it away."

"As Highest Judge of Ragona, I sentence you to death by beheading. May the gods have mercy on your soul."
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 06, 2015, 09:43:12 pm »

The Senex gets the Judge's attention wordlessly, and when given permission to speak does so.

SENEX:  On behalf of the victim's family, I make a formal request that it is Jeremy Stonetree who swings the blade, as is the right of the injured party.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2015, 04:36:09 pm »

"Granted. Jeremy Stonetree shall be the executioner."
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 07, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »

A small grin etches itself into Jeremis face. Justice would be done. Windborn would fall...at his hand.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]