Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Kerbal Colonization Program  (Read 6691 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Colonization Program
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2015, 03:31:42 am »

These aliens should already be in space, judging by their infrastructure and how many cities they have. That they aren't is worrisome.
this suggests that there is a good probability that it is not gas lighting. It's a possibility, but I wouldn't discount other options just yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2015, 03:38:42 am »

I don't see how they should be in space. They have no apparent electricity, and aren't even present on their entire world.

Maybe we should like for signs of unity and technological progress. Mines, roads, dams and the like. We can also guestimate their population by estimating the amount of farmland they have.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2015, 05:10:30 am »

A few things:

1. lack of widespread artificial lighting, implying that they are still not used to production round the clock, and this implies the lack of  exploitative capitalism.
2. Without the social structures, unless they are innately capable, they are not into space for at least another earth-century-equivalent.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2015, 06:36:13 am »

I don't see how they should be in space. They have no apparent electricity, and aren't even present on their entire world.

Maybe we should like for signs of unity and technological progress. Mines, roads, dams and the like. We can also guestimate their population by estimating the amount of farmland they have.
it's not like kerbalkind built any of those, afaik.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2015, 09:25:00 am »

We run on internal combustion. Your mitochondria are oxidizing hydrocarbons to get hydrogen ions that flow through their molecular turbines and charge your ATP batteries RIGHT NOW. You even emit CO2 as a byproduct!

Aliens which lack differentiated tissues or an internal body cavity GO!
I meant on a macro scale. Just a single large engine in the center of their weird super organ.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2015, 12:01:45 pm »

We run on internal combustion. Your mitochondria are oxidizing hydrocarbons to get hydrogen ions that flow through their molecular turbines and charge your ATP batteries RIGHT NOW. You even emit CO2 as a byproduct!

Aliens which lack differentiated tissues or an internal body cavity GO!
I meant on a macro scale. Just a single large engine in the center of their weird super organ.
That's super inefficient. Transportation is a pretty high upkeep process. Not to mention the lack of redundancy means a small hiccup in energy provision will be much worse than a human-like physiology.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2015, 12:04:29 pm »

This is the kerbiverse. Since when did physics have to make sense? All of the celestial bodies are way too close together and small to function the way they do. Why not other weird logical inconsistencies?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2015, 08:21:30 pm »

The decision is nearly unanimous: The ship will crash-land on the uninhabited plateau. The engines make some final course corrections.

Before the vessel de-orbits, the kerbels make some final observations on the natives. Their settlements are indeed connected by roads. They also have railways connecting the major cities and towns. Their mining settlements clearly import their food. Rough estimates place their farmland at being able to keep half a billion kerbals - More than lived on all of Kerbin when the ship left - well-fed. There is much dissent on the idea of such a high population, and the majority of the lower ranking crew eventually agree that the planet's farmland must be poor.

The ship crash-lands near the middle of the plateau, as expected. {?} - Thanks to superior engineering and Timo's piloting skills, the ship remained largely intact. The surprised crew quickly takes stock of their supplies {?}, finding only light damage. Enough agricultural equipment is intact to fully stock two pods. This will be sufficient to keep all hands fully productive, but will not be enough to feed any new mouths. The spare parts brought to repair equipment damaged in the crash may be re-purposed for other uses. The local atmosphere is breathable.

The crew has a brief party to celebrate both setting foot on an alien world, and surviving the landing. The large telescope, which did not survive, is given a proper burial.

Spoiler: Current Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Kaptain (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Froggy Ninja (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: evilcherry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RulerOfNothing (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ozarck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Flazeo25 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shadestyle (click to show/hide)

The Kaptain may now issue a mandate.
PCs may now act independently.

Spoiler: On teams (click to show/hide)

Over one month, a single team may set-up a building and set-up equipment in it. Three PCs may band together to do the same. Harson Kerman may personally lead his engineer team to build three per month.

Suggested actions for PCs with nothing else to do: Survey the night sky with the telescopes, salvage the outpost ship, begin planning designs (provides a small bonus to the design roll), scout around, or prospect for fuel deposits.

For space technology, you have chemical rockets, theoretical ion rockets, radio comms, theoretical laser comms, telescopes, structural components, batteries, solar panels, space suits, and life support. Kerbals need very minimal life support and food if they're doing nothing. You also have propeller, jet, and ground-use combustion engines. Your researched weapons are limited to dumb rockets.

((There are probably errors. Let me know when you find them.))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2015, 08:45:50 pm »

"Kei, John! We must build The Lab! For Science!"

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 09:11:45 pm »

"I am in agreement with this course of action."
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2015, 09:16:27 pm »

Cog is obviously going to salvage the outpost ship.

recommend the Kaptain order one team to scout, and three teams to set up buildings - housing first, then supplies, then agricultural mechanical. she should also issue a mandate for the inflatable structures to be erected by any available workers - if those are different (i.e more short term) than the other structures.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2015, 09:19:13 pm »

Timo will stick with the Scouts.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2015, 09:26:26 pm »

Also are you telling us that none of the big telescope parts could be cannibalized?

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2015, 09:46:48 pm »

Also are you telling us that none of the big telescope parts could be cannibalized?

Have respect for the dead.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2015, 09:47:32 pm »

Have respect for the dead.
I do intend to salvage those after I salvage the ship.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6