Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Kerbal Colonization Program  (Read 6690 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kerbal Colonization Program
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:04:05 pm »

In the year 366, it was decided that an expedition would be launched to another star system. Many kerbals signed up for the chance to join this long trip. With the focus of most of kerbalkind, the largest ship ever built was constructed.

It crashed, of course, but most of the crew and passengers survived.

The third try was with a more modular design, connected in orbit. It succeeded, and, after a few months of refueling and supply missions, finally left for a distant world. It would be dozens of years of deep hibernation in cramped quarters before they finally arrived.

This will be a hybrid sort of game. There are six players (Referred to as PCs), each playing a single kerbalnaut/engineer/scientist. There will also be a commander, ruled by standard suggestion game format by everyone who posts (Both PCs and .. I'll call the rest of you NPCs, I think). NPCs are assumed to be a random kerbal crewman, but don't get actions of their own, to save on my sanity. Feel free to RP.

Once every other turn, the commander may issue or extend a mandate. The mandate may be pretty much anything (Anyone available should get an iron mining operation started / Joe should go collect surface samples from the star), and will last for five turns. If failed, whoever I deem most responsible will be up for vote to be replaced by an NPC (I'll probably overlook discreet acts of sabotage, so long as collateral damage remains low and only negligible witnesses see it). The NPC will have fewer traits, and so will lower the expeditions overall effectiveness. The ex-NPC will take the ex-PC's remaining extra lives. Permanently killed PCs will NOT be up for replacement.

Mandates do have a positive side, from the PCs' point of view: they will receive a bonus to rolls while actively pursing the mandate. The bonus will be small, but will remain until the mandate is completed or expired.

PCs have three 'lives' at game start. That is, fate will conspire to keep you alive twice, unless you do something horribly wrong, like trying to fly into a star. Each 'death' will degrade traits.

PC sign-ups are first-come, first-served.
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)

Feel free to fill out a sheet for the commander whether or not you have your own character. The commander's class must be some variant of 'commander.' The commander will have leadership as a primary trait, and has a single selectable minor trait (which might also be leadership. The commander gets more initial manpower for leadership).

Finally, please vote on a vessel:
A) Colonization Freighter - This vessel is packed with supplies. By default, it has a few shuttles to ferry goods between orbit and a planetary surface.
B) Carrier - This vessel is designed around carrying, maintaining, and re-building small craft. This should allow it to quickly explore a system. By default, it carries the smallest colonization package, but may easily build more space-capable craft by slowly mining asteroids.
C) Task Force - This vessel is designed to split into a few ships on arrival, each capable of acting independently. By default, carries no shuttle-sized craft, but has a purpose-built colonization module.
D) Outpost Vessel [Hard mode] - The smallest of the options. This craft is designed to crash-land and immediately begin constructing a base. A space-program will need to be re-built before extra-planetary operations may begin.

Misc Info:

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:05:59 pm by Nirur Torir »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Colonization Program
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 04:06:26 pm »

I vote A), and PTW.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:22:07 pm »

Name:
Primary Class: Scientist
Courage: 3
Stupidity: 5
Traits: MBiochemistry mNuclear Theories.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:14:12 pm »

I vote D.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 08:24:42 pm »

Name: Timo Kerman
Primary Class: Kerbalnaut
Courage: 5
Stupidity: 4
Traits: M: Dogfighter; m: rocket-happy (better in using dumb rockets)

D, as Bay12 wants hard mode.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:19:13 pm »

B. Space.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 10:19:22 pm »

Name:Harson Kerman
Primary Class: Engineer
Courage: 2
Stupidity: 3
Traits: Minor leadership, minor ship systems (or life support if that is not specific enough), minor manufacturing

I vote A for our vessel.

Nunzillor

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 11:32:52 pm »

Voting D.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 12:19:46 am »

Vote A

Name: Cog
Class: Engineer
Courage: 5
Stupidity: 5
Traits: m: Scrap Scavenger, Bolt it Anywhere, Let's Add Another!!!

(A) find useful bits of junk more easily, B) careful design specifications? Blueprints? What? I'll just put this rocket up on the side. Just use more tubing! C) not enough thrust? add another rocket. it'll fit. Not enough space for crew? Add another capsule. Explosive bolts? Oooooh, add some more of those)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 12:01:02 pm »

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:07:12 pm »

Well since we're obviously going D I'm gonna try to pull off a Neoteric Gambit.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 02:27:08 pm »

Name: Rei Kerbin
Primary Class: Scientist
Courage: 3
Stupidity: 3
Traits: MGenetic Engineering  mNanites.

Vote D

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 02:57:15 pm »

Votes: 5D, 3A, 1B, 0C.

There's room for one more. If nobody votes on a commander, it'll be GM's pick.

Does your character share your forum name?

Genetic engineering and nanites are pretty advanced. They're acceptable, but don't expect to get to them for quite a while.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 05:15:37 pm »

I always forget that part. His name is Dave Davidson. His family line was temporarily expelled from kirbin society and as such a a banished name.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 05:31:30 pm »

I always forget that part. His name is Dave Davidson. His family line was temporarily expelled from kirbin society and as such a a banished name.
-1 to expelled from society and banished name.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6