Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830078 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5610 on: March 17, 2016, 12:26:02 pm »

Though it is possible to kill both Kimball and Caesar, even in the same game.  I think there's even a bonus perk (or just achievement) for killing all the VIPs.

I really can't see Lanius leading the Legion effectively, even if he is surprisingly well-spoken considering his backstory.  The NCR...  Has problems too.  Losing this bloody, expensive war and then losing their president would probably be pretty destabilizing.  Corporations like the water merchants, Crimson Caravan, and Van Graffs might take over entirely instead of being content with bribery.
You need to kill and eat them.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: March 17, 2016, 12:56:58 pm »

Meat of Champions, I believe.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: March 17, 2016, 08:32:25 pm »

Well what do you expect? The really COOL way endings are handled in Disgaea or Elder Scrolls?

Disgaea: The bad ending is USUALLY canon
Elder Scrolls: All the endings are canon
Yes, because who does not love needlessly complicated plotlines? What a great and totally not asinine narrative choice! Why have a definitive, reasonable conclusion when all of them can be true!

As for the bad endings being canon, I kind of like how Fallout does endings usually. The sequels just seem to be set in a further location. This is a good thing. (Except for FO1 and 2 in some ways. And NV. Ughghghh brain hurty.)
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: March 17, 2016, 09:00:41 pm »

I'd rather Fallout not dive into metaphysics (or time travel) to pull off the Elder Scrolls thing :P
I would *love* if the bad endings were canon, though.  Would be a perfect explanation for the wastes remaining wastelandy.  I still think NV was a bit too civilized for my taste (though I ended up loving it anyway, it just wasn't what I expected from Fallout).  The NCR and Legion both collapsing would be cool for a post-post apocalypse setting...

Well if bad endings were canon then I guess the Master won, the whole southwest got conquered by the creatures of the apocalyptic future and yes, everyone's super mutants now ;)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: March 17, 2016, 09:17:49 pm »

Though it is possible to kill both Kimball and Caesar, even in the same game.  I think there's even a bonus perk (or just achievement) for killing all the VIPs.

But in Fallout 4, you can't even kill caravan guards. Why did they think that was a good idea?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: March 17, 2016, 09:33:58 pm »

Well if bad endings were canon then I guess the Master won, the whole southwest got conquered by the creatures of the apocalyptic future and yes, everyone's super mutants now ;)
Yeah...  That does pretty explicitly happen in the bad endings, although there could be scattered survivors.
Eventually the Master would notice out the infertility problem though, which might change matters?
I liked the canon endings they picked for FO1 better I think.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: March 17, 2016, 11:25:12 pm »

that happened once and it involved a big stompy robot that is pretty consistent about breaking everything whenever it shows up

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: March 17, 2016, 11:28:36 pm »

the second time it's so adamant about breaking everything that it breaks itself so squishy humans won't get broken and they can break more things in honor of the stompy robot
Black lives matter.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: March 17, 2016, 11:58:42 pm »

That only ever happened with Daggerfall, and it was because Bethesda is bad at writing their own lore.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: March 18, 2016, 12:09:28 am »

Well, it was more because they sorta had an upheaval in between, Kurt Kuhlmann and Michael Kirkbride came up with all this weird shit and Todd Howard was just like "great, why don't you put it in Tamriel", so then Redguard happened and basically a bunch of stuff changed with that (most everything described in this book that came with Redguard was introduced with the book)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: March 18, 2016, 03:34:57 am »

That only ever happened with Daggerfall, and it was because Bethesda is bad at writing their own lore.

Morrowind also...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: March 18, 2016, 03:35:45 am »

No, not at all.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: March 18, 2016, 05:34:06 am »

Well what do you expect? The really COOL way endings are handled in Disgaea or Elder Scrolls?

Disgaea: The bad ending is USUALLY canon
I was saying that your statement that the events of NV concern entirely the happenings of a single town are incorrect and pointing out that the game does in fact have far reaching consequences for the overall fluff.  :P

Personally, I'm quite fine with the neutral ending.

However, and this veers slightly into pet peeve territory, I absolutely abhor post-apocalyptic stasis, where everything is perpetually stuck at the "eating eachother's faces" stage. It's boring and nothing ever happens apart from "people's faces get eaten and/or shot up".
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:36:22 am by Krevsin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: March 18, 2016, 06:34:08 am »

Psh... what do you think this is? Wasteland?

For those who don't know... in Wasteland 2 they actually had started to turn the post-apoc around, have forms of government, established currency, industrial farming, Government funded police and military, research and development, factories...

And by all means the world of Wasteland is even MORE dangerous then Fallouts by leagues.

Then again... Wasteland 2s setting kind of kicks Fallout 3, NV, and 4's ass... BADLY!!! like... REALLY bad.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:44:54 am by Neonivek »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: March 18, 2016, 10:11:31 am »

the ncr doesnt count as "forms of government"?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 462