Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830035 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5625 on: March 18, 2016, 10:11:53 am »

yes
Black lives matter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: March 18, 2016, 10:23:06 am »

Psh... what do you think this is? Wasteland?

For those who don't know... in Wasteland 2 they actually had started to turn the post-apoc around, have forms of government, established currency, industrial farming, Government funded police and military, research and development, factories...

And by all means the world of Wasteland is even MORE dangerous then Fallouts by leagues.

Then again... Wasteland 2s setting kind of kicks Fallout 3, NV, and 4's ass... BADLY!!! like... REALLY bad.
But all of those things you mention have been in at least fallout NV.
Both Caesar's legion and particularly the NCR are forms of government.
NCR and Caesar's legion both have their own established currencies.
You can find sharecropper farms by New Vegas.
NCR military is pretty much definition of a government-run military, up to including Military Police.
Research station is held at the Archimedes station.
While factories aren't present in the Mojave for the NCR's equipment, that's fair enough, since they ship in troops and supplies from elsewhere that isn't a warzone.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:02 am »

The NCR are a horde or invading body. Of course they have a "government run military" because they ARE a government run military, they are their military (I really wish I knew what this term was again...). Yet they have no police force because there is no separation of military and paramilitary units... and the closest we see are not government run but volunteer.

As well while they both have currency, they don't have established exchange rates associated with them.

They are kind of unsupported play money in all seriousness. Likely a way to delegate rations but their value is by all means open to interpretation. Which is why even within the NCR they often use the bottlecap system.

It is sort of a difference in scale.

---

However I will gamble that Sharecropper farms wasn't built by the NCR and isn't what provides food for the entire New Vegas.

---

Though everything else I just go through and go "Yeah but the scale is different" which is kind of the thing. Heck there was a research station in Fallout 3

But... they are always rag tag fruitless operations that don't go anywhere... usually ones they didn't build themselves but were patched together using lost-tech.

Mind you... I am totally moving Goalposts if this was a debate.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:52:30 am by Neonivek »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: March 18, 2016, 10:54:56 am »

As well while they both have currency, they don't have established exchange rates associated with them.
Caps and dollars or caps and denarii have clear exchange rates, but they don't have dollars to denarii because, quite possibly, the NCR and Legion are at war? A little? Why would you need to exchange your enemy's currency for your own?
Black lives matter.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: March 18, 2016, 11:21:13 am »

Have you played through Fallout 2 Neon? They clearly talk about how the NCR has trade routes across much of the wasteland, as well as an established government separate from their military. They have a currency with clear exchange rates in NV and different denominations. A currency that actually makes sense unlike bottlecaps. It's hinted that they have at least some light manufacturing in both games, as they produce much of their weapons and ammo, and of course their uniforms. The Mojave is at the very edge of their Republic, and even there they've managed to build outposts across much of the desert. I don't think the hoover dam base is representative of a society that hasn't got its shit together in some way, and back in California they're not limited to military bases but also have full cities supported by large-scale agriculture, and I remember reading somewhere, possibly in the Fallout Bible (which is considered canon AFAIK) About how the NCR has massive Brahmin herds that they range across the wastes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: March 18, 2016, 11:26:40 am »

Have you played through Fallout 2 Neon?

Hey hey hey! I am excluding the good ones.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: March 18, 2016, 11:37:37 am »

Have you played through Fallout 2 Neon?

Hey hey hey! I am excluding the good ones.

Well then you[re deliberately excluding a lot of the lore about the NCR in order to make a flawed argument. Even if 1 and 2 are better at worldbuilding, you still gotta consider the world they built :P

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: March 18, 2016, 12:01:58 pm »

The NCR are a horde or invading body. Of course they have a "government run military" because they ARE a government run military, they are their military (I really wish I knew what this term was again...). Yet they have no police force because there is no separation of military and paramilitary units... and the closest we see are not government run but volunteer.

They are kind of unsupported play money in all seriousness. Likely a way to delegate rations but their value is by all means open to interpretation. Which is why even within the NCR they often use the bottlecap system.

It is sort of a difference in scale.
In Fallout 2 you can clearly see that the NCR has an established civilian police force and civilian government, with the military being kept entirely separate.

The NCR dollar is also the strongest currency in the region (gold-backed, given how it's literally golden coins) and is the game's default currency.

By the time of New Vegas, the NCR has begun to stagnate and the value of the NCR dollar has dropped considerably and they've switched from golden dollars to paper dollars, the value of which is lesser because for one, it's paper rather than gold coins and for second, it is not gold-backed anymore. Thus in the Mojave, Bottlecaps are used as they are a more stable currency.

The Mojave is a frontier for the NCR and thus most of the local judicial system has been left to the Rangers rather than the NCR police. Think the Westward Expansion in the united states (an apt analogy given New Vegas' distinct western tinge to the established post apocalyptic formula).

So, in Fallout New Vegas you don't see NCR police (save for the Military variety) because you're out on the frontier and a frontline for a big war. It's a region the NCR is clearly interested in and has somewhat begun to integrate into its territory, but that has as of yet not been entirely integrated and is also the front line of a big war.

Given how the war scared off most potential (and some existing) settlers, the rest of NCR assets (land, infrastructure, settlements) are under military rule due to circumstances. There are also local settlements that bargained with the NCR for protection, which is, again due to the war (and partially the distance from NCR's core lands) handled by the military and/or rangers.

Thus, most of the NCR people that you see are military personnel and most of the NCR assets in the region are protected by their army. and given how the war scared off most potential settlers, the rest of NCR settlements would be under military rule due to circumstances. Or they are local settlements that bargained with the NCR for protection (which again due to the war is handled by the military).

However I will gamble that Sharecropper farms wasn't built by the NCR and isn't what provides food for the entire New Vegas.
It doesn't, its produce is used mostly to feed the NCR military (some of the surplus is given to NCR refugees and squatters in Freeside. There's a quest related to that with the Kings). Most of New Vegas' food comes from trade with local farms and settlements, notably Westside.

However, the Sharecropper farms were built and are operated by the NCR. They offered money and protection to farmers willing to move to the Mojave to work the farms.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:04:26 pm by Krevsin »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: March 18, 2016, 01:45:46 pm »

Have you played through Fallout 2 Neon? They clearly talk about how the NCR has trade routes across much of the wasteland, as well as an established government separate from their military. They have a currency with clear exchange rates in NV and different denominations. A currency that actually makes sense unlike bottlecaps. It's hinted that they have at least some light manufacturing in both games, as they produce much of their weapons and ammo, and of course their uniforms. The Mojave is at the very edge of their Republic, and even there they've managed to build outposts across much of the desert. I don't think the hoover dam base is representative of a society that hasn't got its shit together in some way, and back in California they're not limited to military bases but also have full cities supported by large-scale agriculture, and I remember reading somewhere, possibly in the Fallout Bible (which is considered canon AFAIK) About how the NCR has massive Brahmin herds that they range across the wastes.

In Fallout 2 there's actually a subplot about certain organised criminal elements trying to get leverage on some of the very influential Brahmin barons of the NCR. Or barring leverage, just getting rid of some pesky civilians with a lot of money and influence on the NCR. Actually, until New Vegas the NCR basically had no military presence at all, barring a handful of armed guards in (former) Shady Sands. The Mojave is very much the frontier and therefore pretty much a military occupation, which I guess is why the NCR comes off as militaristic.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: March 18, 2016, 02:16:35 pm »

The NCR in FNV also has that whole concrete manufacturing thing going on. They had to put it on hold for a while due to raiders and deathclaws, but they were actively making concrete to repair the dam and build things.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: March 18, 2016, 02:32:48 pm »

They also were building the railway in general.
Did they build the NCR correctional facility or just take it over? I don't remember.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: March 18, 2016, 02:45:26 pm »

They found a prison. Point is, NCR is not just some 'Invading force'. It's a rising nation that is (unfortunately.) a bit corrupted in the higher parts.
Oh, and they make their own armor.
Really dunno what you're on about, Neon.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: March 18, 2016, 03:20:01 pm »

I remember the reason the paper money thing didn't work out so well was because they got their backing gold reserves nuked or somesuch.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: March 18, 2016, 04:08:55 pm »

By the BoS, I believe, after they fucked over said BoS. NCR's kind of mean.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: March 18, 2016, 04:25:47 pm »

Salted radioactive gold is still good for currency, just get lead wallets. Sheesh.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 462