Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829812 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Robots, Cages and Islands
« Reply #5475 on: February 24, 2016, 07:16:23 pm »

Survival Mode is PERFECT except for save points (what is this, 1995??) disabling fast travel, and disabling enemies on your compass.  Like, with all the quests that take you halfway across the commonwealth, why in god's name would they make you walk the whole way?

It's an experiment funded by Vault Tec to see how long it takes for the average person to stare at a computer screen before they gouge out their eyeballs in frustration.

On a serious note, I was wondering when they'd add that in. I only ever played Hardcore in NV (started up, saw the option, shit a brick, and never turned back) and was disappointed when it wasn't an option for FO4.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: February 24, 2016, 08:34:11 pm »

I'll probably mod the compass, saving and fast travel back in, but try my best to not use either in an exploitative way. Honest.
Just had my first run in with a hostile subway protectron, .8 seconds seriously? They die easily enough though.
F4 is soo much easier since I got out my 360 controller, though I probably need a bit more framerate.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: February 24, 2016, 09:48:35 pm »

Saving is kinda mandatory in Bethesda games. Even after so many years you can still encounter some pretty annoying bugs in Skyrim.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: February 24, 2016, 09:57:19 pm »

If you don't turn the autosave frequency up (like me) and end up accidentally dying relatively often (also like me), quicksaving before every combat is crucial. I don't get a lot of bugs in F4, though.
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: February 24, 2016, 10:59:45 pm »

I don't trust Bethesda quicksaves after the last time they fucked me. I maintain a rotation of five savefiles for my currently-active character; the oldest is the one I loaded into at the start of the session, and it doesn't get overwritten until I need to save for the first time in the next session. Another is for major progress points (quest completion &c.), and the last three are a regular rotation for things like entering/exiting interiors, starting/finishing fights, &c. Quicksave is for every time I kill a couple dudes.

Rarely actually need 'em, but I've been screwed by bugs and such too many times.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: February 24, 2016, 11:34:40 pm »

FO4 definitely has a scratch damage mechanic of some kind, but I think the cap is much higher than in previous games.  Maybe a minimum of 1 damage from an attack or something.  I know that standing around in power armor and eating pipe gun bullets still hurts me, despite the fact that my DT is many times that of the gun's damage, but it's insignificant damage.

That was in NV as well, I believe, though it applied more to enemies than to you. You'd still deal some damage if their DT exceeded your weapon's DAM, but it would be pretty paltry.

Well, I just tested it (using cheats, of course). Added the mod to a MIRV fatman, and a full set of leather w/metal helmet. I fired at the air, and I didn't even lose a single hitpoint while standing still. I fired again, this time moving as the bombs fell, and died instantly.

Doesn't seem like it's very easy to get a legit legendary helmet tho.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: February 24, 2016, 11:37:34 pm »

Doesn't seem like it's very easy to get a legit legendary helmet tho.
I've only ever seen the one. That stupid looking one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: February 25, 2016, 12:07:26 am »

I always thought I wanted Beth to make a real stab at Survival gameplay. But after my last tour of Skyrim....I dunno if they really are committed to it to the degree it warrants. I know the idea is that Beth would set the standard for survival mode and everyone's mods play off it but....if vanilla gameplay is any indication modders will just redo all their work anyways. If whatever nutrition system Beth comes up with is still based on poorly balanced food items, lack of weight values for shit that matters, and if all the game elements that support survival are still focused on providing a gamey experience", I don't see their version of survival really being superior to one built from the ground up by modders.

Cause right now I have over 300 Stimpacks. And 100+ Radaway. And 100+ of every drug pretty much. 50+ of pretty much every food item in game. That's with only really using shit as a I need it. If I'm sustaining those kinds of numbers in Survival mode....it's not really survival in my book. Then again it's always been the problem that too much shit in FO and ES games is just lying around and it's too hard to remove it from the entire world so supplies actually feel scarce.

It's an experiment funded by Vault Tec to see how long it takes for the average person to stare at a computer screen before they gouge out their eyeballs in frustration.

Considering how settlement attacks work, yeah, I can see that being royally fucking frustrating. Strolling along the Glowing Sea when "Starlight Drive-in is being attacked!" Welp, so much for having a prayer of participating in that fight.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:11:06 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: February 25, 2016, 09:35:54 am »

While I despise the fast travel system in place for Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4, I'd at least expect they'd fill in the void by giving you the ability to fast travel between your settlements or certain points on the map for a cost.

Yaknow, like the carriages in Skyrim.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: February 25, 2016, 10:35:14 am »

While I despise the fast travel system in place for Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4, I'd at least expect they'd fill in the void by giving you the ability to fast travel between your settlements or certain points on the map for a cost.

Yaknow, like the carriages in Skyrim. silt striders

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: February 25, 2016, 10:39:41 am »

Yaknow, like the carriages in Skyrim.

Or by using the settlement trade routes you set up between the two, which could give you a sort of travel system.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: February 25, 2016, 01:44:50 pm »

I don't trust Bethesda quicksaves after the last time they fucked me. I maintain a rotation of five savefiles for my currently-active character; the oldest is the one I loaded into at the start of the session, and it doesn't get overwritten until I need to save for the first time in the next session. Another is for major progress points (quest completion &c.), and the last three are a regular rotation for things like entering/exiting interiors, starting/finishing fights, &c. Quicksave is for every time I kill a couple dudes.

Rarely actually need 'em, but I've been screwed by bugs and such too many times.
Due to playing NV heavily modded, I used quicksave literally everytime I left a cell.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: February 25, 2016, 04:21:11 pm »

Due to playing NV heavily modded, I used quicksave literally everytime I left a cell.

You would of crashed far, far less by using normal saves less frequently.

Quicksaves are broken as shit in NV and oblivion and tend to corrupt in very minor ways you wont notice right away.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: February 25, 2016, 07:01:36 pm »

Yeah, both of those games have mods to autosave without quicksaving for you as well (Streamline and CASM, respectively), and there is no reason not to use them.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: February 25, 2016, 08:42:48 pm »

You would of crashed far, far less by using normal saves less frequently.

Quicksaves are broken as shit in NV and oblivion and tend to corrupt in very minor ways you wont notice right away.
but
but it worked more :v
It was mostly just when the game wouldn't load up a cell. So I saved before I left, usually.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 462