Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829814 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5505 on: February 26, 2016, 10:44:38 pm »

Traveling through Beacon Hill legit would take like 20 minutes at least. There are more baddies per square inch there than any other place I've been. After a while it just becomes tedious, sorta like Just Cause or Far Cry, one of those, with the constantly respawning guys at checkpoints.

I mean, I'd be down but only if survival really pans out which it doesn't sound like it will, at least to the degree I desire. I can get into a long-play of a game where just getting somewhere is a night's gameplay. But not if the things that are supposed to make it memorable are just as flimsy as the normal mode balance.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Robots, Cages and Islands
« Reply #5506 on: February 27, 2016, 01:44:19 am »

Survival Mode is PERFECT except for save points (what is this, 1995??) disabling fast travel, and disabling enemies on your compass.  Like, with all the quests that take you halfway across the commonwealth, why in god's name would they make you walk the whole way?
The latter two of those sound awesome!
Is this coming out around the same time as the DLC, or what? I wasn't paying attention until this post.
I hate fast travel so very much, but I get too impatient to not use it when it's available. >.>
Why do you hate it? It's a feasible not-bullshit way to get around Bethesda's classic fuckhueg map.
I personally hate it because it's indicative of a larger problem, i.e. Bethesda can't design a world particularly well. It's a crutch to help you get around an impossibly huge world that has been structured in such a way that you need to fast travel from anywhere to anywhere because you cannot reasonably put in a point-to-point fast travel system.

A well designed world (with far better fast travel), for example the Witcher 3 is constructed in such a way that most quests are located a reasonable walking distance from fast travel points with the player having a method of getting to faraway places quickly by alternate means (i.e. horse) and the world is structured to accommodate that.

I also hate Bethesda's fast travel because it breaks my immersion and becomes a "get out of jail free" card and it often means I only ever see neat things out in the wild a few times and I miss a lot of the details and world-building that went into the game. In fact it often feels like the game was constructed with tons of neat little points of interest and fun locations that were never meant to be seen as most of the time I just fast travel from point to point and miss all the things in between.

However, disabling the fast travel system without providing a point-to-point fast travel and a method for players to get around faster (a motorcycle or a speedy power armor thing) will only result in frustration because like I said, Bethesda's world design is kinda shit and built with "anywhere to anyplace" fast travel in mind.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:22:47 am by Krevsin »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: February 27, 2016, 04:17:03 am »

So after taking a closer look at the recent patches notes, I saw that Bethesda claimed to have fixed Preston's Radiant quest spam.  Hoping to finally be able to put the massive backlog of quests he had already buried me under to rest, I fired up F4 and proceeded to knock them out.  So, of course, the instant I turn in the first quest he hit me with another, I turn in the next, and get hit with another, then another, and another.  Great job, 'thesda, really feeling the effort you put into fixing that issue.  On the other hand I did actually enjoy messing around with some of the more interesting mods I've been downloading, so not a total loss.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: February 27, 2016, 12:48:36 pm »

So after taking a closer look at the recent patches notes, I saw that Bethesda claimed to have fixed Preston's Radiant quest spam.  Hoping to finally be able to put the massive backlog of quests he had already buried me under to rest, I fired up F4 and proceeded to knock them out.  So, of course, the instant I turn in the first quest he hit me with another, I turn in the next, and get hit with another, then another, and another.  Great job, 'thesda, really feeling the effort you put into fixing that issue.  On the other hand I did actually enjoy messing around with some of the more interesting mods I've been downloading, so not a total loss.
Unless you mean the beta patch, I don't think it has been actually released yet.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: February 27, 2016, 01:59:28 pm »

That is very strange, I just went and looked at the official changelist (for 1.3 and beta 1.4) and now I can't find any mention of the supposed fix at all, maybe I misread something, there are like five mentions of adjustments to Preston and minuteman quests.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: February 29, 2016, 06:00:10 pm »

A patch hit today. I'm going to take a guess that it was the one in beta.

What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: February 29, 2016, 06:37:02 pm »

Those patch notes remind me....

People are always saying your heavily defended settlements never get attacked.

Well, game proved that wrong last night.

I've been fortifying Sanctuary Hills since the start of the game, more than 120 hours. It's got only 2 open entrances to the actual town, all guarded by 4+ HMG turrets. Snipers patrolling the walls. Snipers looking down from my Ten Penny Tower. Its Defense Score is something like 150.

So I get a notice that Sanctuary Hills is now being attacked and I think "Oh, sweet. Finally get to put these defenses to use." The only other attack at that settlement occurred like 60 hours ago when I had just the walls built. So I was pretty excited.

I fast travel to town and step out from under the awning where the fast travel point is. Instantly I hear close gun fire and, I shit you not, turn to watch a bullet contrail pass literally by my face. And so I think "Great, they're inside the walls." Not the first time I've seen that happen. So I pull out my Flare Gun and fire a round off into the sky and draw another weapon and prepare to defend.

And then I hear Preston go "What are you doing?"

I'm a little confused, because it's pretty obvious I'm trying to save Preston's worthless hide along with all the other NPCs. I hear more gunfire, my HMG turret on the roof of a house chattering away, right where the last attack came in. So I ignore Preston and head up there.

As soon as I make the roof, the turret stops firing. I use VATS to search for another target....but see none available. That's unusual, I think, on several levels. I go down to the ground and begin searching for bodies. And I search for a while. Eventually I find one, ONE, synth corpse and a couple orphaned laser pistols.

Now, I had faffed around for about 3 minutes after getting notified the Settlement was under attack so I could finish the quest I was on. And I did fast travel halfway across the map. But in all other Settlement Defenses, I've never showed up in the middle of a fight or right at the end, regardless of how long I took to get there.

Part of me wanted to be mad. I wanted to see all my turrets open up and my NPC settlers shooting and fighting to defend their home! But then it kinda hit me. I built this ridiculously over-fortified settlement so I wouldn't *have* to fight to defend it myself, and by god, it seems to work. It's probably just a spawning/programming error, but it still struck me as funny from the NPCs perspective: Here comes the General, sprinting into town, sweat pouring down his face, shouting "TO ARMS, TO ARMS" and firing his flare gun to call in more support.....and he's like half a day late to the party.

Meanwhile, about 7 Minutemen also show up moments after the Synth died to the HMG and say, ironically "Did we miss all the fun?" Yes, yes you did. And where the fuck where you guys at the Slog when I had to fight off 10+ Gunners with nothing but some not-equipped Ghoul Settlers?

I'm really looking forward to Settlement Attack mods. Right now they seem completely arbitrary. Nordhagen Beach with 3 people living there gets attacked by 4 Raiders. Ok, that seems legit. But then Finch Farm with 3 people living there gets attacked by 10+ Raiders. Covenant with 14 people living there gets attacked by 5 raiders, while Sanctuary Hills, the most defended and populated settlement, gets attacked by what appears to be 4 Synths. Abernathy Farm with 3 people living there gets attacked by 10 Super Mutants. Starlight Drive-In with 1 guy living there (and a provisioner at that) gets 10+ Super Mutants.  It's like it's completely random what the game throws at Settlements or which ones it chooses to attack. When the attacking forces actually make sense for what they're attacking, and you get time to prepare for really big assaults, that shit is going to be great. (And probably meltdown weaker PCs.) Right now it seems like I'm either fighting too many guys at an undeveloped settlement where I'm being shot from all directions, or fighting no guys at a well-defended or grossly overdeveloped settlement.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:48:16 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: February 29, 2016, 07:17:04 pm »

Speaking of settlements, what determines, if anything at all, when new settler arrive (and where)? I have some settlements that keep getting more people, while others are perpetually stuck at 2.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: February 29, 2016, 07:30:02 pm »

I dunno. I've only put up activated beacons at two settlements, and it took both of them hours and hours to actually increase in population. I assume you have to have more resources than you're using. Otherwise it's probably just random.

Additionally, there's bugs. I opened my map the other night and saw Sanctuary Hills had 31! settlers, up from 17. I fast travel there, open the workshop menu and it's back to 17. *shrug*

Unrelated, I really enjoyed....

Spoiler: Vault-Tech Salesmen (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:36:29 pm by nenjin »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: February 29, 2016, 07:35:15 pm »

Spoiler: His purpose (click to show/hide)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: February 29, 2016, 07:36:25 pm »

Well, the new patch screwed something up for me. Assets were missing (mostly walls) from my save, so I decided to start a new game... and crash. So I disabled all mods, still crash. Checking integrity, but still.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: February 29, 2016, 07:37:48 pm »

Spoiler: His purpose (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, the new patch screwed something up for me. Assets were missing (mostly walls) from my save, so I decided to start a new game... and crash. So I disabled all mods, still crash. Checking integrity, but still.

Welp. Good thing I won't be playing FO4 til this weekend.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: March 01, 2016, 12:45:29 am »

Your mods are probably version dependent. Disabling mods in a Bethesda game? You're just asking for ctd's.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: March 01, 2016, 05:28:56 am »

Your mods are probably version dependent. Disabling mods in a Bethesda game? You're just asking for ctd's.
Disabling mods and trying to load, yeah that's asking for ctds. I was trying to start a new game, though.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: March 01, 2016, 06:08:42 am »

It just works.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 462