Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37

Author Topic: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1  (Read 28611 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

I am translating "Marines" as "Not only do you have more, but the extra ones are better. So if you normally have 1000 Marines and have a bonus to that, you now have 1200 Marines, 200 of which are Elite."

Captain bonus doesn't always apply, but it usually does. I will specifically say if and when it doesn't. For example, the Wing Captain / CAG bonus overrides any Captain bonus.

But basically, Captain bonus is the way you run your ship/fleet and what perfomance is improved from the baseline as a result. Sometimes, you have a great Engineering crew and you're confident that they can handle the ship at higher accel. Other times, you have experience with stellar combat and tweak your weapon loadout or upgrade your targeting computers. Maybe you're a Smuggler and know how to play games with EW. Maybe you have a background in DCC and can repair ships faster, or you're an Industrialist who can build more efficiently. So on, so forth. It's a way to make your ship unique. Let me know what you want to add and it'll be put in atop previous stats.

It's possible, although not very probable, that you can send in the combat marines. They're not subtle. Tech marines can enjoy some leave and bring some equipment, and if you choose to define some of your elite marines as spies or intelligence, then they will have a better chance of success at giving you all some good information. (I will specifically note this and the amount, however; until that time, they're generic Elite Troops.)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

As a general rule, a good marine core for a civ would have one in ten as engineers (mechanical and electronic maintenance, combat, good for hacking also, specific loadout varies), one in ten as combat medics (p obvious), one in ten as heavy ordinance (demolitions/missiles/morters/high explosives, varied loadout), one in ten as scout/long range support (snipers, scouts, infiltrators, it varies. Most scouts would have vehicle operations training.), and one in ten as assaults (breaching tools, close up weapons, directed high explosives such as blast tape, riot control equipment, and so on varied loadout)

The rest would have generic soldier loadout.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Question, is fuel and ammuntion taken care of under the maintenance cost, or do we have to pay for that?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

It's included, yes. Your industrial ship and the labs on the Carrier can really cut down on maintenance by constantly building missiles and being religious about using the molylab, although there are limits to it such as "you really can't do much maintenance with an active or standby drive."

Of course, your main source of fuel is the most abundant element, and it's pretty typical to top off whenever you are at or near zero velocity and an appropriate base.  There's also a smaller tank included for reaction thrust, which typically includes enough for about a minute at 150g. (which you probably don't want to do for too long, since the big compensator needs active drive to work at peak efficiency.)

In theory, you can harvest it from sidereal space if you get going fast enough and spend a while moving ballistic, but if you are at that point of desperation you are probably very badly screwed anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

As a general rule, a good marine core for a civ would have one in ten as engineers (mechanical and electronic maintenance, combat, good for hacking also, specific loadout varies), one in ten as combat medics (p obvious), one in ten as heavy ordinance (demolitions/missiles/morters/high explosives, varied loadout), one in ten as scout/long range support (snipers, scouts, infiltrators, it varies. Most scouts would have vehicle operations training.), and one in ten as assaults (breaching tools, close up weapons, directed high explosives such as blast tape, riot control equipment, and so on varied loadout)

The rest would have generic soldier loadout.

Sounds good to me, although I'm gonna mix it with this:

..."Marines" represents "Fully armed and equipped combat trained Marines with exactly enough naval training to be useful", not the total amount of Marines onboard. The rest are busy maintaining the Marines in equipment and training, damage control, firefighting, enviro techs, weapon techs, security, medtechs, police, etc. (They can be used as invasion force, but it's generally considered smarter to let the people with mobile artillery and heavy weapons in their battlesuits who know how to use them do that as opposed to people with small arms and hardsuits who can prize-crew the vessel later.)

Basically, there's 4 support for every 1 primary combatant, and there's plenty of redundancy and multiple shifts. Maintaining battle suits is not easy and most Marines assigned to a ship have specific and clear naval roles. They can certainly be sent over to prize-crew a ship, so you can still retain combat marines after a capture.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Four? I thought it was three. Meh. Is prize-crew similar to skeleton crew, by the way?

I'm gonna be detailing the Standard's organization for it's Marines, at some point, I think. Also, if both me and the good Captain Romans is playing(cannot remember name at the moment sorry) are on the ground, will our bonuses stack?

Additionally, when we do the Matter of Honor mission, can we/I get a map of the ground battlefield, or should we stick to generalized stuff? I wanna make a battle plan and everything. :P Probably gonna be based on Coalition tactics of course.

Spoiler: If You Care (click to show/hide)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Might have been 3. I'm planning out the trip. :p

I consider a skeleton crew to be bare minimum to operate. Prize crew can actually fight like a regular ship and has redundant shifts, etc.

Yes, they stack.

Generalized for convenience.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:48:26 pm by Ross Vernal »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of which, have fun on your trip, Ross. Hope everything goes well!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Planning is such a pain in the ass, I swear. Some people don't like eggs, same don't like hot dogs, some don't do fish, others skip oatmeal. Half of us drink beer and half do not; half of us like tequila and some of us can't touch it, etc etc. Plus I'm covering pretty much the entire bill.

*sighs * I  love my friends and all but fuck damn are they trying to make it hard.

At least the ring is gorgeous.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least the ring is gorgeous.

Good luck and congrats ;)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Just for fun, Admiral's ships (which includes a Fast Courier so there's actually a relevant contribution aside from being a mediator)

oh man fuck tables I'm just gonna use paint

Spoiler: Admiral's Ships (click to show/hide)

With everyone's EW on, it would take one hell of a ship (or a very unlucky one) to even *find* the fleet if they were looking, much less figure out where exactly they are enough to possibly shoot them. By the point the enemies get even close enough to possibly begin doing so, the entire group could shuttle back to their ships, hyper out, and fly to BF Nowhere Location #2.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EW from multiple sources stacks?

That seems...uhh...welll...let's just say Rift Bomberspam got a shitton more dangerous.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

It can, assuming that the group in question wants to do so and has put forth effort. In this case, mutual self interest is a great motivator, and it's implied that a few of you have done this before.

I can't help but make grabby hands at the idea of a 3D simulator for all of this despite lacking the talent, motivation, or financial situation needed to make this a thing.

oh btw

Formal Vote
Takeover: 44.4% in favor, 19.3% opposed, 36.3% undecided
Honor: 41.6% in favor, 8.7% opposed, 49.7% undecided
Mining: 20.3% in favor, 19.4% opposed, 60.3% undecided/abstaining
Station: 10.5% for League, 89.5% undecided
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:29:34 pm by Ross Vernal »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile

I put my vote in for the Station. I'll post in the IC fleet later, though.

Hey Kevak, wanna make our captains twin-queens or something? Or queen and queen flower?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Twins would be interesting. Probably a potentially unique occurrence due to how Kai fertility works.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37