Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37

Author Topic: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1  (Read 28588 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

On a large scale, that's basically how the Kai were before the Castes were Purged.

Presumably they were purged because Rebellion.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

Reading the history in the OP, it looks like the purging was a long, historical process, rather than a (historically) sudden, brief event as the response to a rebellion might be. The Body Kai were purged after the first great Kai war, and after that, various alliances happened, and eventually the Kai homeworld and War Kai were destroyed. That left the Tech Kai as the dominant Kai. It was a more evolutionary thing, where the less aggressive, more contemplative - and by extension, better able to interact with other races as equals - Kai grew in strength while the more aggressive ones burned themselves out on constant war.

To much aggression will cause a system to collapse.
(Oddly enough, too little aggression will do the same).

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I asked him about it in a PM while we were doing the lore. It was long and drawn out, but that's because basically a whole third of the Kai rebelled. And then somewhere close to half. And all Kai are incredibly aggressive. :P It's just a matter of how they aggress. Only once their sun blew up was diplomacy even really considered, as far as I was told. I might have misinterpreted, but that's basically how the Kai work. If you read the You Are A Kai Queen threads 1 and 2, you'll see what I mean.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

Mkay. I'm just going by what I have available here, so my knowledge of backstory is limited. Having a genetically aggressive species is interesting anyway - keeps everyone on their toes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ross describes them as wasps.

Appearance and to an extent behavior wise, I think it's fairly accurate. They have Queens, and 'Hives', and Drones and Warriors and special relationship with flowers and all that...

But I view them as locusts. They breed in huge clutches, they (used to) devour or destroy everything not Us or Them, referring to Kai or the Flowers, they spread and devastate really damn fast...

So combine the assholeness of wasps with the ever-hungeringness of locusts, and then make them a psychic hive mind with a tech caste, an evolution caste, and a punt-the-tanks caste, and you get the Kai.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's basically it.

The War Kai are big, aggressive, tough, and hungry, if not outright cannibals. While they are not dumb, they are basically interested in "Kill everything not 100% us, eat everything, and remake the Galaxy in our image."  The concept of "peace" and "surrender" simply do not exist for the War Kai.  Almost pure brute force - War Kai would absolutely spam reinforced missile bombardments with adapted Kai and Flowers and perform suicide drops. 

The Body Kai were the real horrors, though. They were the "evolution" Caste. Comparisons to Nazi medical science would make the Nazis look kind, gentle, and reasonable. BodyKai were  the really big slavers, and were especially fond of unleashing plagues and making Kai form versions of the other species. The War Kai did not like them because of the blasphemy of imitating lesser species, but did not go after the Body Kai because of the threats of Flowers that could (and did) infest the Kai and basically  utterly eliminate the War Kai through the sterilization of the Flowers.

Also, it's not that they cannot adapt well. It's more that there is a secret group headed  by the True Queen that possesses the ability to do so, and mostly dictates how adaption goes. Lesser Kai can certainly adapt and play within their limits with a large amount of relative freedom, but it's more like being given enough rope to hang yourself. The Queen is too tricky to leave herself exposed to the same thing that she pulled.

(Also, the quiet implications are that the True Queen possesses a very large gene library, and is taking the time to slowly and selectively breed and experiment.)

I can say that yes, you can ask to keep some, and the Queen would consider allowing you to retain certain parts and hand over a reasonable shipment of Royal Jelly and a few trusted Minders to be sure you're not trying to pull off a coup and are sincerely working for the species. Trying to just plain keep it  will definitely make some enemies among the Kai, and the Queen can certainly say "The Merops were deliberately creating Slave Kai to help them in thir plans  for galactic domination and these rebels stole it instead of destroying it! Here's all of the data we have, we're paying for leads, and they are wanted dead for a giant reward."

Not everyone will accept the argument, but she will certainly paint a giant target on you and spend considerable effort on hitting you first.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

I know I said I'd update but I kinda want to sleep for a week. I'm frigging exhausted.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, when you wake up, don't forget the pitchers. :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Alexandrite, tanzanite, and amethyst in 14k white gold.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow.

Also you look a bit like my choir teacher. I'm not sure how to feel about that. '>.>
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

Congratulations!

Wow.

Also you look a bit like my choir teacher. I'm not sure how to feel about that. '>.>
Mercenary Fleet: The Musical.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure I'm not your choir teacher unless I sleepwalk. :D

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bump!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bump!

I approve of this bump! Would seem a shame if this died off considering all the work put into it :)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

Bump!

I approve of this bump! Would seem a shame if this died off considering all the work put into it :)
+1
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37