Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37

Author Topic: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1  (Read 28655 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary Fleet: Mission selection and strategizing (9/?? players)
« Reply #255 on: June 12, 2015, 06:33:39 am »

I dislike matter of honor. Mostly because my ship is intended for long distance stand-off's, and planetary invasion is about as opposite to that as you can get. In addition, Not That Dumb doesn't carry my favor either due to allegiance reasons, but neither does the Terran side of the mission.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 12, 2015, 10:41:39 am »

Very few missions will have a "zero relationship change".

One way or another, you're going to make enemies if you are going to want to bring in money to expand.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 12, 2015, 11:05:05 am »

I dislike matter of honor. Mostly because my ship is intended for long distance stand-off's, and planetary invasion is about as opposite to that as you can get. In addition, Not That Dumb doesn't carry my favor either due to allegiance reasons, but neither does the Terran side of the mission.
So be long-range support. Come in as reinforcements once space is captured. The Kai and I can handle the ground.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 12, 2015, 11:53:18 am »

Send in the Vanguard under active EW at Waller accel so it looks like a Waller pretending to be a Battleship, with the rest of the fleet circling in Alpha. Corvettes for a missile screen.

Cross the twelve minute limit at a path to where you come near to extreme missile range for planetary bombardment but still can hyper out if they send too much heat. As soon as the defending force has built up the velocity to be forced to pursue, the Vanguard changes heading and increases accel to force enemy ships to either alter course or be forced to accept the Vanguard keeping them at extended missile range and not getting any closer with the ships that can catch it. At this point, Corvettes can drop fighters, hyper out and microjump to the other side of the planet.

On the side with the Vanguard, the Wolfpack jumps in and opens up at max-fire in tandem with the Vanguard at anything zippy enough or suicidal enough to enter energy range, then slaps down the heavier ships. As soon as they've hit a certain point of damage dealt, a Fighter does a microjump across the hyper zone, and the rest of the fleet hypers in on the other side of the planet to demand surrender.

Hypothetically. You guys will have a while to plan your tactics. :D

Alternately, swap the Wolfpack and the Vanguard roles. Might be bad for a force designed to defeat a few Medium ships to suddenly meet an angry, EW-loaded battlecruiser flinging out 40 missiles a minute at anything unlucky enough to be in its missile basket.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:57:12 am by Ross Vernal »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 12, 2015, 11:58:48 am »

On a side note, are missiles instant hit or are you going to bother missile tracking and all that.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 12, 2015, 12:14:02 pm »

I am going to track and roll for missiles, yeah.

To be clear, missiles have an accel rate an order of magnitude or two above Interceptor.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:17:12 pm by Ross Vernal »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 12, 2015, 12:16:42 pm »

On sidenote, are we gonna have an IC and/or bother with doin' stuff in character before the first mission, or only once it starts?

And what about the Hyper Limit, for microjumps? Although I do like that plan, not least because it means the Vanguard is living up to it's name.

Other things: I find it funny that at the current highest tech levels, it's actually more space/cost efficient to have Medium or Base Size Sidewalls. Higher than that, and you're going up 10% for a 1/11 or 1/12 increase. As well, I'm curious, Ross; did you give the Exemplary Standard free EW since I had it before the Rebalance, or what? Is that why my countermissile/sidewall ratings are better than I'd originally calculated them to be?

Also, Kevak, Cheesecake, High Tyrel, what're your Captain bonuses?

Will you be doing the same for Gunships, Ross? Since they fire a Lightspeed weapon at distances up to and above one Light Minute(it can correct mid-shot, or is supposed to be able to, with the secondary lenses, if we want to have those be a thing, or maybe you just can't see the shot since, ya know, it's not a giant gravitic thing, and they can track you in 'real-time')
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2015, 12:25:44 pm »

You guys can call that one. Even if you want a new thread.

Adjust heading to the minimum distance to limit with the aid of reaction thrust, increase accel with the drive, and rev up hyper. As soon as it crosses a few ls past the safe limit, jump.

I just put in the correct base values (why wouldn't bigger ships also have tougher D to supplement the hotter O?), added the bonus of your origin's defensive components instead of the base, and did the captain bonus on top of all of that. EW is not actually included in anybody's defensive score, I don't think. And you took it out ? I thought it was there! xD I did tell you I'd hand out more money for getting the other ships finalized and for trying to get a map, so I am willing to look past it.

Energy, I am prooobably going to just roll for hit, and then apply the damage after the appropriate amount of rounds if it does hit.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2015, 12:31:33 pm »

I kinda like having all ships have equivalent base values. Bigger ships can get better because of being able to fit more, but small ships can twist and turn, present their wedge more easily and the like. I dunno. Maybe. Big ships get more effective quickly, but small ships are more cost-efficient most of the time. So I suppose it balances out in any case. As for hyper, that makes sense,  yeah.

Also, cool. I was mostly asking about the delay in damage, yeah.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

Very few missions will have a "zero relationship change".

One way or another, you're going to make enemies if you are going to want to bring in money to expand.
Yeah, I know, but there's missions that just feel like they'd give larger overall bad reputation amongst Glactic Civilization as a whole. Being on the aggressor side of a conflict and spying, for instance, whereas being security for a Galactic multiCiv Sporting Event, or fighting pirates. would be more likely to boost General Rep. and doing mining scutwork would likely do nothing or our rep, even with our employers, who would see us as a "necessary evil" more than as a valuable and professional Corporate Resource.

Also, I am having a really hard time remembering who belongs to which faction, and the chart you gave, which is great, identifies the factions by the least descriptive part of the title. Ross, you've done a lot of good work on this game, but there's just so much going on, I get lost a lot.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:35:32 pm by Ozarck »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 12, 2015, 12:43:49 pm »

So be long-range support. Come in as reinforcements once space is captured. The Kai and I can handle the ground.
I'm not entirely certain about using Kai as ground troops. We're here to restore order, not enact a massacre.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 12, 2015, 12:45:32 pm »

I will relaunch with a clean slate this week, then. Declare this OOC, consolidate, and then IC with specifically revelvant stuff.

Yeah... I totally get that point. Lots of numbers, not very good format. Would it help if I were to convert spreadsheet to Microsoft Spreadsheet or PDF document, and provide the link?

Land the Terran parts of the Marines. Leave the Kai Marines in ready orbit in case they are needed, but have them as the strategic reserve.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2015, 12:57:26 pm »

no, converting the sheets is not necessary. I just pulled all the spreadsheet images out of the thread and put them in a folder.

All of the fleet carries marines. if necessary, any of them can be landed. I'd save that for after we have a formal surrender, if the space battle goes our way. But if no surrender, we might need to remain in orbit for a bit anyway, depending on the size of their ground forces. I guess a quick drop on the capital would be advisable, though they are sure to have anti-air defenses to prevent just that.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 12, 2015, 01:01:10 pm »

So long as the Queens keep their Drones under control, we should be fine, but yes, they should probably be kept in reserve for the moment...I'll probably be leading the ground assault personally. Would my Marines bonus extend to other marines under my command once we're groundside, Ross? Basically, does it reflect superior tactics and leadership skills, or family history and bonded knight-marines, or some combination of the two?

And are we going with the Takeover->Mining->Honor or Honor->Takeover->Mining? Which one is more time-sensitive, Ross? We could actually probably use the Fighters as quick response Marine-Drops, as well. Can ships exchange supplies/marines in space, Ross?

Also, Ozarck, that's part of the reason for the way planetary assaults work: We promise not to bomb the shit out of everything they have, they promise not to slaughter all our people before they hit the ground.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 12, 2015, 01:03:06 pm »

If it does become a siege,  how does standard ship weaponry serve as orbit to surface bombardment?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37