Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921279 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5700 on: September 07, 2018, 09:05:44 am »

Heh, Rage Mage is one of my fav prestige classes simply for its name alone.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: September 07, 2018, 09:16:32 am »

Back in 4th ed our group had a sorcerer that keyed his spells off of strength.

We called him the "flex mage", whose somatic components were just him striking poses and flexing his muscles really hard.

Like someone does this and a lighting bolt shoots out of his hand
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm really upset that picture wasn't a gif of that guy from full metal alchemist
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: September 07, 2018, 09:33:53 am »

So... Bugbear, Primeval Guardian 3 / Mystic (any flavor) X. Use a reach weapon, take the Giant Growth psionic discipline. While focused and using the Guardian Soul ability, you'll have a melee reach of 25'. You can activate the first branch of the discipline for 2 PP to get another 5' on top of that, for 30' total in limited bursts.

If you decide to build more mystic levels, 9th level will let you use the second branch of the discipline and get a bigger boost of 10', in case you wanted to pick someone's nose from 35' away.

Heh, I remember Alienist was incredibly broken in Incursion... In multiple ways. Depending on version/the game's whimsy, attempting to level as an Alienist would either crash the game or just softlock you. If you were on a version where they worked, you'd be able to spew out the ludicrously overpowered pseudonatural summons because the feat wasn't properly draining persistent mana, so it would all regen.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: September 07, 2018, 01:25:36 pm »

Haven't heard of the cancer mage before now (then again I am the guy that didn't know that healing spells could harm the un-dead). what book is it from?
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: September 07, 2018, 02:20:27 pm »

Book of Vile Darkness. Which also has the most pointless alternate human ever.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: September 07, 2018, 02:25:47 pm »

thank you.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: September 07, 2018, 02:28:15 pm »

Can't be worse than Book of Exalted Deed's "Poisons but totally not really poisons"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: September 07, 2018, 02:55:37 pm »

I would say they are worse than the not-poison poisons.

The Vashar as I think they were called are fluffed as originating from the first version of humanity made by the gods. The first man was a psychopath and tried to kill the gods, who then tried to destroy him but he was saved by a demon lord and sired children with a succubus giving rise to the Vashar. All Vashar are EVIIIIL and they are all born from rape, because apparently sociopaths never have consensual sex. They murder, steal and enslave constantly and basically impusively do evil stuff without much cause 24/7. Their main goal as a society is to kill the gods.

Mechanically they're identical to normal 3.5 humans, except instead of a bonus feat that can be taken from any feat in the game they meet the prerequisites for, Vashar can only take a bonus Vile Feat they meet the prerequisites for. They get the same exact thing normal humans do, but worse since normal humans can also take Vile Feats with their racial feat.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: September 07, 2018, 04:27:42 pm »

I would say they are worse than the not-poison poisons.

The Vashar as I think they were called are fluffed as originating from the first version of humanity made by the gods. The first man was a psychopath and tried to kill the gods, who then tried to destroy him but he was saved by a demon lord and sired children with a succubus giving rise to the Vashar. All Vashar are EVIIIIL and they are all born from rape, because apparently sociopaths never have consensual sex. They murder, steal and enslave constantly and basically impusively do evil stuff without much cause 24/7. Their main goal as a society is to kill the gods.

Mechanically they're identical to normal 3.5 humans, except instead of a bonus feat that can be taken from any feat in the game they meet the prerequisites for, Vashar can only take a bonus Vile Feat they meet the prerequisites for. They get the same exact thing normal humans do, but worse since normal humans can also take Vile Feats with their racial feat.
Ah yes, for when you want to have Chaotic Stupid as not only an alignment, but as a race as well!

I'm looking at aging halfling barbarians now, if for no other reason than to charge madly into battle and, when inevitably killed, utter: "Old hobbits die hard"

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: September 07, 2018, 04:31:28 pm »

So... Bugbear, Primeval Guardian 3 / Mystic (any flavor) X. Use a reach weapon, take the Giant Growth psionic discipline. While focused and using the Guardian Soul ability, you'll have a melee reach of 25'. You can activate the first branch of the discipline for 2 PP to get another 5' on top of that, for 30' total in limited bursts.

If you decide to build more mystic levels, 9th level will let you use the second branch of the discipline and get a bigger boost of 10', in case you wanted to pick someone's nose from 35' away.
At mystic level 11 you can use Ogre Form and Giant Form at the same time, for 40 reach.
Though you can't pick their nose like that, since you included a reach weapon, unless your nose-picking is done through a halberd.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: September 07, 2018, 06:04:09 pm »

Can't be worse than Book of Exalted Deed's "Poisons but totally not really poisons"
In our very first campaign, where almost every enemy (and most NPCs) were undead due to lich apocalypse, they were extremely handy. Since undead are usually immune, they're basically the intended target.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: September 07, 2018, 06:24:34 pm »

Of course the dumbest thing about Ravages (the not-poisons) is that the BoEDs says poison use is evil because it causes uneccessary suffering and is therefore an act of cruelty that goes beyond reasonable measures, then goes on to say ravages are perfectly fine because they only work on evil people even though they are otherwise identical to poison.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: September 07, 2018, 06:43:08 pm »

While we're comparing BoED/BoVD shenanigans, don't forget that VD contains a spell that's basically a year-long Mind Rape. ED contains a spell that's basically a year-long Mind Rape as well, but it's explicitly a Good spell to cast.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:45:43 pm by Mephisto »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: September 07, 2018, 07:16:56 pm »

Yeah, it's okay because it's forcing the person to be good, see?  Totally different.
Speaking of autonomy, the Vow of Chastity benefits end if the character has sex.  If the sex was involuntary, they can be forgiven with Atonement.  The BoVD doesn't have a monopoly on "what is happening in their campaigns"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: September 07, 2018, 07:29:54 pm »

I can kinda see the evil spells that does the same as the good spell but one is evil and one is good making sense in a universe of arbitrary but real good and evil, where evil exists as an ends to itself in the form of demons, evil gods, sometimes negative energy, etc. I can totally see certain spells being arbitrarily evil, even though they do what some non evil spells do (and same for spells being arbitrarily good) if the have an evil source of power or cause arbitrary evil to now exists (such as making undead or summoning demons.) and that seems to be the basic assumption that D&D spells are mostly (although I think maybe not always) built upon, and if you're playing a setting where that's not the case or certain arbitrary evil things don't count as arbitrarily evil (like undead) you need to change the spells to not be evil/good.

That said  poison use being evil according to the ravages is super dumb, afaik the section on ravages is the only, or at least a very rare instance of, poison being called evil in D&D. Certainly it's not considered evil in the core books, it's evil adjacent kinda, since evil characters are often able to use it better, and paladins can't use it, but evil characters doing something that paladins won't doesn't make that thing itself evil. It's weird too, because ravages totally fit a useful niche in supernatural poisons that effect (evil) creatures that are normally immune to poisons. They'd be perfectly fine being just that, but for some reason the book had to had them stand in opposition to something that exists and make the other thing evil, because it's the BoED right?
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 623