Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921226 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5715 on: September 07, 2018, 07:33:41 pm »

Poisons were explicitly evil in 1st ed, and most classes were basically banned from use.  Probably to balance the fact that all poison back then was "save or die".
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: September 08, 2018, 10:29:42 am »

Hmm... So, talking grapplers luchadores, what do you prefer? A winged tiefling who can (slowly) lift people up for the ultimate slam and potentially grab the barbed skin feat for constant, guaranteed damage...

Or the bugbear brawler with ludicrous lift/drag weight capacity, higher strength and a 10' grappling range to stealthily piledrive enemies via sneaky+surprise attack?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: September 08, 2018, 10:39:20 am »

Hmm... So, talking grapplers luchadores, what do you prefer? A winged tiefling who can (slowly) lift people up for the ultimate slam and potentially grab the barbed skin feat for constant, guaranteed damage...

Or the bugbear brawler with ludicrous lift/drag weight capacity, higher strength and a 10' grappling range to stealthily piledrive enemies via sneaky+surprise attack?

Fluff rouge sneak attack as a surprise german suplex
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: September 08, 2018, 12:16:41 pm »

Okay, so apparently the bugbear's long reach thing specifically only applies to when making a melee attack while using the attack action on your turn... Meaning that attacks of opportunity and various defensive abilities tied to weapon reach don't get to use the extra 5'.

While "melee attack using attack action" does still include things like grappling attempts, depending on how the time restriction gets interpreted the grapple will be cancelled immediately upon losing the extra reach either at the end of your turn, or instantly after making the attack.

So, yeah, that changes things up a fair bit. Looks like goliaths get to keep the heavyweight title spot, but there's still the potential for a tiefling to accomplish a few things under the right circumstances. The build/strength disparity is quite noticeable, though, especially when dealing with flight...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: September 08, 2018, 12:32:17 pm »

There is a variant tiefling with +1 Str instead of +1 Int. Zariel Tieflings from page 23 of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes are +2 Cha/+1 Str and get different spells from normal tieflings.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: September 08, 2018, 12:52:35 pm »

There is a variant tiefling with +1 Str instead of +1 Int. Zariel Tieflings from page 23 of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes are +2 Cha/+1 Str and get different spells from normal tieflings.
I thought variant tieflings could only get the Feral attribute replacement, which is +2 Dex +1 Int? I mean, that's still generally better for someone who gets stuck in a lot, but it's no Str increase.

Still though, Feral + Wings still seems like the best pick for a non-caster tiefling grapplers, as far as overall utility is concerned... Considering Zariel's spells are kinda lackluster if you're planning on doubling down on grappling, since the smites require a weapon.

Even so, +1 strength doesn't quite match +2 strength and racial powerful build. They're definitely fighting in different weight classes, but tieflings can potentially get access to Barbed Hide if you're dipping into UA. Also leveraging the +2 Cha towards a spellcasting grappler if that's more your style.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: September 08, 2018, 01:07:52 pm »

Mordenkainen's added more tiefling subraces, one for each arch devil that isn't Asmodeus. They give a different +1 stat and have different racial spells. In theory you can still give them wings because they still have spells to trade away.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: September 08, 2018, 01:34:21 pm »

Is Asmodeus the "default" I guess?  Or do his devils avoid anything so unseemly?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: September 08, 2018, 01:54:29 pm »

5e uses Forgotten Realms as the default setting in some ways, and 5e FR Asmodeus used a big ritual to make all tieflings retroactively 'his' which is why they all look so similar. Mordenkainen's treats Asmodean tieflings as the PHB ones while all the other devils get their own ones.

Demon Lords haven't got any yet and neither do the Yugoloths.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: September 08, 2018, 02:10:24 pm »

I hate that.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: September 08, 2018, 07:03:52 pm »

Look, the DnD world does not have Tinder or Craig's List Personals ok?

How do you expect a randy demon lord, in his unholy, enormous visage-- to successfully hook up with human or elven women?  It sure as shit isnt a video dating service. :P

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: September 08, 2018, 07:17:25 pm »

Eh, 5e also moved away from tieflings and aasimar being descended biologically from trysts with fiends and celestials to a more dark ancestral pact/divine chosen one type of deal anyway. Tieflings are more likely to be the children of cultists than of actual outsiders and aasimar are just chosen babies invested with god powers and an angelic guide to be their Jiminy Cricket.

I preferred the outsider banging myself, felt more mythical to me.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: September 08, 2018, 07:23:15 pm »

How do you expect a randy demon lord, in his unholy, enormous visage-- to successfully hook up with human or elven women?  It sure as shit isnt a video dating service. :P

The solution is, as always, Sending.

Extremely *hawt* lord looking for casual encounter. Come to Desolation's Parallax at mid-winter when the third moon is gibbous to see my enormous castle.

There, a 25 word sending that's sure to get the attention of all the ladies. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: September 08, 2018, 07:28:42 pm »

The solution is, as always, Sending.

Extremely *hawt* lord looking for casual encounter. Come to Desolation's Parallax at mid-winter when the third moon is gibbous to see my enormous castle.

There, a 25 word sending that's sure to get the attention of all the ladies.

In other news-- the futures market for short copper wires has exploded, and migraine pills tailored for demon lords are the new alchemical wonder of the century, as hundreds of thousands of women are allowed to immediately respond to the mass-sendings sent by desperate demonic singles, and the materials required for the mass sending cause market failures across multiple planes of existence. :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: September 08, 2018, 07:34:18 pm »

So the temporary end of the A Side campaign concluded with us accidentally/intentionally (depending on party member) flooding the ancestral home of the dwarfs by Shattering an already damaged tunnel underneath a river, because we were merking the dragon we talked our way out of fighting months ago IRL. And got a bunch of young paladins killed in the process. I may have considered PvPing the perpetrator of this wholly unnecessary outcome in what was about to be a great triumph.

So that's it for A Side for now. B Side, which is supposed to be the loose cannon campaign, continues from its oneshot roots in two weeks...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 623