Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151037 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2015, 03:21:01 pm »

I think they added two dinos in the last 12 days or so. I also have to agree that the game is a blast and does not feel lacking in content.

Buy I think people here are down laying the optimization issues. It isn't just a matter of 20 fps. The game takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes to even load up. The fact is that it is simply frustrating to play right now and it is even more frustrating because you really want to play it!

I've experienced that, too. I unfortunately don't think that's liable to change much. It's loading up a huge amount of content, and it takes 3-4 minutes to load even on my solid-state HD. Now, keep in mind that the entire world is seamless, and that this is a place where up to 70 people can be in the same map without being forced to compete for resources. Also, no loading time in between areas, including underground/underwater. If I had to choose between a long initial long time and any load time between zones, I do personally prefer the initial load.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2015, 03:24:14 pm »

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2015, 05:52:12 pm »

I think they added two dinos in the last 12 days or so. I also have to agree that the game is a blast and does not feel lacking in content.

Buy I think people here are down laying the optimization issues. It isn't just a matter of 20 fps. The game takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes to even load up. The fact is that it is simply frustrating to play right now and it is even more frustrating because you really want to play it!

I've experienced that, too. I unfortunately don't think that's liable to change much. It's loading up a huge amount of content, and it takes 3-4 minutes to load even on my solid-state HD. Now, keep in mind that the entire world is seamless, and that this is a place where up to 70 people can be in the same map without being forced to compete for resources. Also, no loading time in between areas, including underground/underwater. If I had to choose between a long initial long time and any load time between zones, I do personally prefer the initial load.

I have to agree.
My system is getting long in the tooth so I have to play on lower settings and it takes a good 10 minutes to load up the server, but once I finally make it to "The Island" it runs fairly well and you never see another loading screen.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:51 pm »

Just updated my Nvidia driver, suddenly performance has evened out almost completely (still the occasional lag spike)  Turning down the post-processing helped too.  Shadows may just the most stupidly lag inducing crap ever.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2015, 06:10:34 am »

I dearly wish I could play this on the official servers but sadly due to my Australian location combined with the crappy ISPs they have here the lag would probably be unplayable.

I think I'll still download it to play a single player game though. Any game that lets you punch dinosaurs is definitely going to earn a place on my system.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2015, 09:46:38 am »

Fuck it, I'm jumping on the hype train. How is it play in single player and in multi, can I just type to communicate because I really don't want to talk to people over the internet?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2015, 09:58:45 am »

I dearly wish I could play this on the official servers but sadly due to my Australian location combined with the crappy ISPs they have here the lag would probably be unplayable.

I think I'll still download it to play a single player game though. Any game that lets you punch dinosaurs is definitely going to earn a place on my system.
Not sure how bad your ISPs are but lag from Texas to euro servers is actually remarkably playable. Single player is fun too.

Fuck it, I'm jumping on the hype train. How is it play in single player and in multi, can I just type to communicate because I really don't want to talk to people over the internet?
Typing works but global and tribe are only channels and people will talk to you locally on voice.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2015, 10:03:37 am »

I really do not like voice chat because I play video games to not deal with people. I also cannot physically do voice chat because I don't have the equipment for it and for some godforsaken reason, the the sound input and output in the front side of the computer is not working and I can't be arsed to fix it.

Oh well, I'll just mime to people then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2015, 10:05:38 am »

I don't like voice comms just because I hate the way most people sound on them and I'd rather just act like I have no mic.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2015, 02:27:24 pm »

Even solo its pretty great. Progress is slow but I have a turtle and he makes hunting easier. Got a stockpile of meat to rot and make more narcotics. I just wish I can get him to stop when I knock the dinos out.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2015, 02:46:46 pm »

You do not know fear until you have one spear, a grass hut with no bed, and a Velociraptor coming through the walls.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2015, 03:01:56 pm »

Ok, picked this up. May not get to play today, but I should have time tomorrow night.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2015, 03:55:04 pm »

So hey guys, I do have a dedicated 24/7 server for my old Archeage guild. I don't have a problem letting anyone on, if you're interested. Easygoing people, server started last night. Anyone interested, or does bay12 already have a server?

Ruskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2015, 04:52:51 pm »

So hey guys, I do have a dedicated 24/7 server for my old Archeage guild. I don't have a problem letting anyone on, if you're interested. Easygoing people, server started last night. Anyone interested, or does bay12 already have a server?

A few of us are playing on OfficialServer364

Got a pretty nice pad set up

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »

A few of us are playing on OfficialServer364

Got a pretty nice pad set up

Sounds cool. Just PM me if anyone wants to play on mine.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47