Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123214 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #705 on: January 02, 2010, 12:56:00 pm »

Currently attemping to build my first noble execution cellmagma retention chamber.

I caught a goblin snatcher in a conveniently located cage when he tried to abduct a child who was trying to remove a wall construction.

Finally, I'm trying to expand my fortress to some above-ground stuff, to make use of all that damn stone and because exploratory mining is rendering a good percent of the underground largely useless unless I want to construct down THERE instead.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 02, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »

The last of the original 7 died of old age today.

This fort has been going on too long.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »

The last of the original 7 died of old age today.

This fort has been going on too long.

I've never had anybody die of old age before I got too bored to continue.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 02, 2010, 06:01:00 pm »

This image alone should tell you enough about what's going on in..."Bodicebrush"?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 02, 2010, 06:14:32 pm »

So I'm constructing this large pyramid thing:

This is my first big project.  I've carved out around it down to the lowest Z-level.  It's built around a magma pipe.  That little entrance overhang has magma and water spigots.  There's HFS in the hill I'm going to crack into once the pyramid is complete.

Anyway, this is the first time I've played a game long enough for the elves to send a diplomat.  He's instantly all up in my grill about the number of trees I butcher (which doesn't make sense, since nearly all of my wood is imported).  On the way out, the elven diplomat is ambushed by goblins.  My intervention is not immediate.

So a few years later, the elves decide to invade.  What's odd here (this may be a bug) is that the map snapped over to the edge and the game paused, exactly as it would when a caravan arrives, but there is no accompanying message and no visible units there.  I'm guessing this is when the elves entered my map.  A few minutes later, a wandering pet exposes their ambush party waaaay up on my pyramid (it's built out of ramps, so people walk all over the surface as if it were flat).

I send in my battle-hardened champions, and this happens:

This isn't isolated..  I can go up and down the Z levels and just see a rain of elf limbs and bodies in mid-air all over the place.  It's so glorious...  I weep!
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 02, 2010, 06:24:17 pm »

Yea, the elves start their 'siege' in ambush mode, so what you had was normal..... coward elves, lol.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 02, 2010, 06:28:20 pm »

So I'm constructing this large pyramid thing:

How'd you make the colors so uniform? Btw ^EPIC.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 02, 2010, 06:35:33 pm »

How'd you make the colors so uniform? Btw ^EPIC.

I've been going back over the dug out ramps and constructing ramps over them with various stones..  I'm using the Mayday pack which apparently let you use more types of stone for construction.  The two sides of the pyramid facing the camera in that pic are done..  the other two....  not so much.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #713 on: January 02, 2010, 06:46:10 pm »

Wow...your soldiers must get a LOT of training time.

I just had a similar experience with my champion...he was running around mashing goblins when suddenly one of them started to fly away at a rapid speed.  I thought it was a glitch, until it landed:

He doesn't trust anyone nearly as far as he can throw them.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #714 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »

I just had a similar experience with my champion...he was running around mashing goblins when suddenly one of them started to fly away at a rapid speed.  I thought it was a glitch, until it landed:

I had a war dog intercept a goblin snatcher. Said dog tore his leg off and threw it up two flights of stairs to the outside.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #715 on: January 02, 2010, 07:31:28 pm »

Also, I just had an immigrant get possessed. He made a Saguaro scepter, banded with saguaro, spiked with, guess what?

It was topped with a lizard, and he named it after himself.  'Urist McCrapcarver has created Urist McCrapcarver, a Saguaro Scepter!'
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Zades

• Bay Watcher
  • Do flying babies do blunt or gore damage?
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:51 pm »

Trying to flood my dining room build a nice waterfall to be appreciated by all dwarves of varying status.

And creating a military that doesn't just wrestle.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:41 pm »

I prefer turning peasents into my military, but I really needed some soldiers after turning my only marksdwarves squad into my fort guard(the other squad was destroyed by beak dogs. :().

Also, my planter was imprisoned because I traded goblets to the merchants, then a few minutes later, my mayor banned the export of goblets. :\

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 02, 2010, 11:13:21 pm »

The first time that happened in one of my forts, I thought it was some kind of goblin superweapon.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 02, 2010, 11:25:27 pm »

I'm currently digging out a 5 wide tunnel around the level beneath my workshops (dining room) in order to create a sewer system I can use as an infinite underground water source, it'll be connected to the river in order to both flow into the lower levels and then use water wheels using the flow achieved through cork screws that bring water back up to the higher levels to power them, is this a good idea?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:27:44 pm by armadilloHD »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 3842