Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123093 times)

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #720 on: January 02, 2010, 11:42:08 pm »

Sounds good, just watch the pressure to prevent water related fun.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 03, 2010, 12:01:06 am »

Any tips though? I've never really used screw pumps before.  I have read up on perpetual motion though, I think it could keep the water moving through and back constantly.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 03, 2010, 07:05:10 am »

My fort was assaulted by admin snatchers. Admins have building destroyer 2, fire and super fire immune, dragon breat, all the [NO] tags, high damblock and speed, and trap avoid.

At first I thought it was just one, but it ended up being 3. One's trapped in my moat and the other 2 are destroying things. :O
One became enraged and DRAGONBREATH'd my champions and guard, who are either dead or on fire. They just destroyed the door to my fort. Someone... halp. :<

EDIT: Oh, wait, it's 3.

EDIT2: Oh, fuck. The snatchers came with an ambush. I'm fucking dead. Also, they're DRAGONBREATHING every several steps. D:

EDIT3: All of them are cornered inside my furniture stockpile. Recruited EVERYONE. One valiant dwarf is keeping on of the snatchers from destroying a mason's workshop my moody mason is working on. Dwarf in question is my first and only legendary stonecrafter! :D

EDIT4: It's over. Fort went from 63 to 19. A lot of them happen to be on fire...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:36:33 am by Jack_Bread »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 03, 2010, 09:39:08 am »

Remove [NOEMOTION]. It'll make them able to rage. And add [trANCES]. It'll make them more Fun.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 03, 2010, 09:59:02 am »

Only tips I can think of for pumps is to make sure the pump points the right way. The walkable tile is the input, the blocked tile is the output, pumps reset pressure levels to the level of the pump. (Even if the pressure on one side of the pump is massive the water after the pump won't go above the output end) pumping magma will pressurize magma to the pump output level, pumps desalinate water if pumped into a 100% constructed container, A line of pumps with one tile between them transport water from one end of the pump line to the other end nearly instantly, thanks to that if done correctly the water dosn't even need to be contained while being transported by the pump line.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 03, 2010, 01:43:43 pm »

The desert fort of Spicedune has been founded and the foundations have begun to be dug out. Since someone said in another thread that you should widen your main halls to reduce lag, so I'm trying to do some urban planning by making some space between the chamber (I just designated the food storage area, its still midspring) and the hallway. I always make my hallways at least 5 tiles wide, so I'm good for a while, but will be able to expand if I need to.

Anyways, I used Visual Fortress to help reveal the magma pool (by digging), which just happens to be two z-levels below the food/drink storage. The top open chamber is on z-level -3 while said food area is on z level -1. I'll have to figure out how to deal with the fire snakes as far as the food and booze goes, and building/digging around the pool (which is pretty big), but that will have to wait as I'm focusing on getting the basics set up.

In case anybody is wondering, I already dealt with the magma men and the fire men by tweaking the raws.

Oh yea, is it possible to extinct the fire snakes for a particular pipe/pool?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 03, 2010, 01:53:57 pm »

I don't think its possible to, I started my fort in a magma pool that was empty for whatever reason, 15 years in and I'm still dealing with fire snakes (3 cats).
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 03, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »

I swear I saw Martin say that Morul had managed to extinct the local fire snakes in that thread of his. Then again, that fort is pretty old. So maybe it is possible, but takes a long time, or maybe a team of dedicated trappers.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 03, 2010, 02:17:37 pm »

My new above ground tower fort is starting to take shape. It's taken me two years to dig tunnels to allow farming and I've finally walled off some tree areas for peaceful woodcutting. No military to speak of really, just two wrestlers. I'm hoping I can wall off the outside world and live a shut-in life in harmony for all time. Still haven't found the underground river either, though I'm told it's here somewhere... three wounded died of thirst so far.

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 03, 2010, 03:01:54 pm »

Once, I persistently attempted to get my dwarves to learn to smelt pitchblende. Oh the luls I would have had if they would learn to do that. There needs to be an experimentation mechanic in this game.
More of the metal ores need to be smeltable. I think I'll continue to mine it in case I feel like making a very fun (and Fun) mod. :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #730 on: January 03, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »

Unu Zutosplungo Spun Unbu, Ancient Vampire has been elected mayor.

I have no idea what's going on in this fortress anymore.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 03, 2010, 04:27:26 pm »

Unu Zutosplungo Spun Unbu, Ancient Vampire has been elected mayor.

I have no idea what's going on in this fortress anymore.

Maybe she really is seducing your dwarves and is going to take over your fort! Quick, send for a vampire hunter!

Seriously though, check out her entry in legends, theres got to be some sort of explaination for this.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 03, 2010, 05:37:29 pm »

I'm making a wall to complement my moat around the entire 6x6 embark. It is being made out of obsidian with glass fortifications.
Did I mention the moat is being filled with magma?

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #733 on: January 03, 2010, 06:06:18 pm »

"Oh great, a caravan from Mountainhome."
A vile force of Darkness has appeared.
D'oh!

A horde of goblins appear just behind the caravan, attacking two of the wagons, although the wagons were defended by stalwart dwarves.

Some good dwarves die, lots of goblins die, goblins run off, two wagons escape. Two dwarven merchants run south, then one is struck by melancholy along with his camel, the other goes berserk. Then the dwarven soldier comes and beat him off.

All in all, a disturbing, yet awesome moment.

So, all there was left was for me to collect all the loot that was left.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 03, 2010, 06:13:29 pm »

I swear I saw Martin say that Morul had managed to extinct the local fire snakes in that thread of his. Then again, that fort is pretty old. So maybe it is possible, but takes a long time, or maybe a team of dedicated trappers.

Didn't take that long. Legendary trapper managed to extinct fire snakes, maggots, and cave spiders (on a map where every. single. tile. around the chasm is covered in webs - thousands of them) and he had to move on to olms to finish it out.

Morul took out the fire snakes (he detests fire snakes, by the way) by using about 30 or so traps all crammed in up against the side of the magma pipe, about 3 z-levels down. (it was also close to the chasm, so I didn't need to restage things) He'd install them, shove some meat in there and repeat. No more than a season to wipe them out, but different maps have different numbers, so I might have had a smallish population. Took *years* to trade away all the liquid fire.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 3842