Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3502 3503 [3504] 3505 3506 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119600 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52545 on: July 13, 2018, 09:55:44 pm »

A first today. I almost always reject entertainer's offers to join the fort since they're fairly worthless. After rejecting another applicant, I noticed they had the blinking blue !, indicating some emotional stress. Thought maybe there was some monster was running around that freaked them out, but no - turns out they were "dismayed". I guess they didn't take the rejection well.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52546 on: July 13, 2018, 11:07:11 pm »

My 44.12 world is 300 years old, and according to Legends, my chosen civ has 5,851 Dwarves.  There are two other civs with 6.5k and 2.1k members.  Despite that, my hard coded migrant waves brought a total of 11 Dwarves, and during Summer of the second year, I received the message 'your Fortress attracted no migrants this season' ???  I checked the map, and my home civ should be able to reach me.  Not easily mind you, but there is definitely a pathway across the world.  Kinda nice not worrying about sieges or mandates for a while, but I'm eventually going to need more warm bodies if I hope to get anything accomplished here.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52547 on: July 14, 2018, 05:01:02 am »

I'm on 44.10 but this sounds exactly like my fort, over 6k dwarves in a healthy looking civ of 250 years, took the liason 4 years to find me, but now they came the second time in a row, the occassional migrant makes it through as well. Keep waiting, the message appearantly isn't final. I blamed the human-goblin war that's right next door.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52548 on: July 14, 2018, 11:41:48 am »

I'm on 44.10 but this sounds exactly like my fort, over 6k dwarves in a healthy looking civ of 250 years, took the liason 4 years to find me, but now they came the second time in a row, the occassional migrant makes it through as well. Keep waiting, the message appearantly isn't final. I blamed the human-goblin war that's right next door.
Fascinating.  Perhaps world events affect travel a lot more now.  I did just get a new baby, so if worse comes to worse, I'll have a generational Fort.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52549 on: July 14, 2018, 01:31:17 pm »

My 44.10 fortress upgraded to 44.12, in the midst of a tantrum spiral that started in the old version (but at least isn't spamming job cancellations due to everyone being horrified by everything), was attacked by a fire breathing, shelled, flying hill titan. 

My struggling militia led a brave attack on it, since the last thing I wanted was a fire-breather making it into my base.  I'd like to say they injured it, but they only fractured the shell a few times and caused some minor damage, really.  Mostly it just managed to cook itself to death by setting fire to the trees it was flying through, and died right in front of the trade depot where a human caravan is still sitting around like nothing happened. 

The hill titan mame alinoatera nitheíle died in year 253 (cause: heat).

Most of the map is on fire, the dwarves are all losing their minds, and I'm trying to deal with getting anything done now that every 2 seconds there's a collapse warning from a burning tree above ground, but at least the fortress is saved until they all kill each other.  Oddly there's almost no FPS hit from everything above ground being on fire and collapsing, but the collapse warnings are making it just as bad. 

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52550 on: July 14, 2018, 03:07:23 pm »

Oddly there's almost no FPS hit from everything above ground being on fire and collapsing, but the collapse warnings are making it just as bad.

You can edit the announcements file in the init folder to prevent pausing and centering the camera on a collapse. Just find this [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R] and make it look like this [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]  Remember that collapsing trees can punch a hole in your roof if you've dug out the space below them and if you turn off the announcement you might not realize it until it causes a problem.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52551 on: July 14, 2018, 04:31:35 pm »

Oddly there's almost no FPS hit from everything above ground being on fire and collapsing, but the collapse warnings are making it just as bad.

You can edit the announcements file in the init folder to prevent pausing and centering the camera on a collapse. Just find this [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R] and make it look like this [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]  Remember that collapsing trees can punch a hole in your roof if you've dug out the space below them and if you turn off the announcement you might not realize it until it causes a problem.

Thanks!

I knew there had to be something. I'll remember that if I need it, rain started up and the rest of the fires burned themselves out after a little while.  I was fairly careful to avoid roof areas with trees growing on top since I embarked in a half-forest / half-mountain biome.  Most of the collapses were happening far away from any construction.  Oddly I had a different fortress with the warnings turned on where something kept poking holes in the roof of a tunneled soil area that was hit during exploratory mining but nothing ever popped up and there were no cave-in effects (dust, etc).  Nothing attacking seemed to want to path to it, either, even though it should have been climbable and was a direct path into the base. 

Anyway,

The last events were immediately followed by a tantruming dwarf being cursed to become a were-lizard for knocking over a temple statue, and another goblin siege:  The 13 trolls and 9 beak dogs arrived at the gates first, and were slaughtered in record time by the tiny number of remaining militia members.  The 43 goblins remaining took one look at the bloody mess covering the scorched and smoldering landscape in front of the gates and ran for the hills.

Militia Commander, who has a fun inventory and is an impressive troll killer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Marksdwarf:

A farmer by trade who was drafted for the last siege: 

A professional fish cleaner wrestled one of the trolls to death, apparently having decided not to pick up a weapon:

Another draftee gets his first taste of troll blood:

The remaining troll is now in a cage trap, waiting to be given something fun to do. 

No sooner do the sane dwarf crew remaining rush out to rebuild the two front doors that were torn apart by trolls and clean up the gigantic mess of gore and troll armor that will block them from closing, a new threat arrives: 

The Bronze Colossus Redari Irecisaro Vicíthène has come!  A gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem.

Buon giorno, Redari.  Che cazzo fai?  Non preoccuparti del sangue...

Sigh... I should have known joining a civilization called The Sacks of Clenching would be a bad career move. 

Well, if I can get the non-tantruming dwarves left over to wall up the front gates while a ballista is built, and the human trade caravan waiting for a depot that no longer exists holds him off for a bit...  that or do some creative tunneling towards the brook to the south.  Most of the militia are wounded and recovering and the farmer hauling the hand has recently thrown a tantrum so things aren't looking so great in that regard... and the commander and his favored silver scimitar may do so great against bronze.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:37:23 pm by DwarfToys »

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52552 on: July 14, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »

Well that was somewhat anticlimactic.  Hauling didn't happen anywhere near in time, and the swarm of puppies would have stood in the way anyway, but this happened:

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52553 on: July 14, 2018, 06:35:17 pm »

Early on in my fort, we had a human request residency for soldering. She was a swordswomen, which matched the militia commander's skillset so it was accepted. It was a quiet fort for the most part, until it wasn't of course. An ettin attacked. The militia of two was fully decked in iron and had a good time to harness their skills so I wasn't too cornered. The ettin however punched the poor swordswomen right in the nose, destroying it and inflicting a decent amount of force damage. I thought her (literal) nerves would be shot, but surprisingly she made a full recovery (minus one nose).

Once I learned I'd need an occupied site to become a barony, I sent the pair out to fully seize one of the goblin pit tributaries. The goblins didn't put up a fight, and the defacto former leader of the pits was beheaded by my militia commander. The swordswomen become the administrator of the site after a polite discussion with a local rival. Not sure if the rival was the militia commander, or the now headless goblin.

I hope the pits are a decent reward for her service. Even if it's just a hole with some goblins and trolls. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52554 on: July 15, 2018, 03:40:03 am »

A forgotten beast just killed 42 of my dwarves and ended my mountain peak nano fort.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52555 on: July 15, 2018, 01:00:49 pm »

These announcements came in the same frame, and the visitors arrived one by one from the same spot, like a migrant wave. I wonder what these guys are looking for.

Edit: Information about the location of some artifact which is not in my fortress. Good, I wouldn't want to deal with a squad like that at this point.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:03:26 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52556 on: July 15, 2018, 02:36:41 pm »

Mark their weapons for dumping then send them on their way.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52557 on: July 16, 2018, 02:02:52 am »

My plans to set up a new military squad keep being interrupted by said novice military members being drafted as cannon fodder for the sieges :(

Also, I'm probably about to have a tantrum spiral from all the dwarves picking clothing off rotting human and goblin corpses.

(Note: If one of your dwarves is really acting up, assign him to his own squad and send him off to demand surrender from some hellhole you pillaged or razed before.)
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52558 on: July 16, 2018, 02:59:00 am »

My plans to set up a new military squad keep being interrupted by said novice military members being drafted as cannon fodder for the sieges :(

Also, I'm probably about to have a tantrum spiral from all the dwarves picking clothing off rotting human and goblin corpses.

(Note: If one of your dwarves is really acting up, assign him to his own squad and send him off to demand surrender from some hellhole you pillaged or razed before.)

I did that with my dwarf bitten by a were-lizard.  He was immediately captured by the 10-strong goblin pit and seemingly hasn't made them know why they fear the night yet. 

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52559 on: July 16, 2018, 05:08:09 pm »

It is malachite of the fort's first year.
My dwarves are pretty much all at least proficient in fighting, and my general is a grand master axe dwarf.
I have had eight successful demands of tribute, and I have one nearby place I have pre-pillaged for conquest, just need a hauler to do so.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:13:55 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 3502 3503 [3504] 3505 3506 ... 3842