Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3305 3306 [3307] 3308 3309 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106620 times)

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49590 on: February 18, 2017, 10:39:00 am »

An armadillo boar got spooked close to my stockade entrance and rolled up into a ball. It's now been rolled up for years while merchant caravans rumble over it. I have dogs leashed at the entrance to keep animals from wandering into the cage trap installation that is reserved for invaders. I assume it's their line of sight keeping the armadillo shut up tight. Last year an armadillo sow wandered close to the entrance and she too rolled up into a ball. She just gave birth to a pup so in years to come I'll probably have hundreds of armadillo balls in front of my gate.
This made my weekend.

Anything outside your gates will be tripping balls.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49591 on: February 18, 2017, 03:38:22 pm »

So I've gone to all the effort of building a giant tower shell just to recast my fortress from obsidian and it turns out that it seems that when I dig through it, the floor/stairs/ramp left behind is the layer material of that tile, not obsidian--is there any way around this or am I doomed to having fucking disgusting sand floors in the grand entrance to my fort?

Of course, I could construct obsidian block in their place, but then I couldn't engrave it.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49592 on: February 18, 2017, 03:46:08 pm »

I'll never understand why we can't engrave constructed walls

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49593 on: February 18, 2017, 07:35:12 pm »

I always imagine they're made of lose stones or bricks that might crack if engraving is attempted. It'd still be nice if they could be painted or decorated in other ways.

Maybe you should be able to build walls with engraved slabs, giving the same effect.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49594 on: February 18, 2017, 08:38:13 pm »

@MehMuffin: You can cave-in obsidian floors on top of the soil/dacite/etc. floor.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49595 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:36 am »

I always imagine they're made of lose stones or bricks that might crack if engraving is attempted. It'd still be nice if they could be painted or decorated in other ways.

Maybe you should be able to build walls with engraved slabs, giving the same effect.

I kinda felt like you should be able to add engraving to constructed walls. Requiring more materials to do so. Your idea of a slab would work with balancing it. If the process is more complex with artificial walls, it would encourage use of natural walls while allowing you to engrave constructed walls if need be.

Also, one of my Uristnauts injured her arm on the stratosphere. She got a bruise from hitting the sky.
She also had the same arm get smashed to bits on the way down.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49596 on: February 19, 2017, 01:24:56 am »

I'm trying to get magma minecart delivery to work. Wish me luck.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49597 on: February 19, 2017, 04:03:03 am »

Had a Roc fly by, it came in like it was going to attack, flew to the other side of the map, and leave. Guess it was on it's way to attack some other settlement. I was looking forward to it too, had a whole line of cage traps waiting for it, it was going to be tied to my militia commander... Ohwell.

Bummer.  It's always nice to have hundreds of roc meat roasts, roc eye roasts, roc spleen roasts, roc kidney roasts, roc brain roasts etc., as well as enough roc soap to build a tower out of soap and a roc skull totem, roc bone bolts, etc. etc. 

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #49598 on: February 19, 2017, 09:26:09 am »

The goblin crossbowman bites the recruit in the thumb, right hand, but the attack is deflected by the recruit's +steel right gauntlet+!
The goblin crossbowman latches on firmly!
The goblin crossbowman shakes the recruit around by the thumb, right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The thumb, right hand is ripped away and remains in The goblin crossbowman's grip!

I call shenanigans.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49599 on: February 19, 2017, 10:01:01 am »

Had a Roc fly by, it came in like it was going to attack, flew to the other side of the map, and leave. Guess it was on it's way to attack some other settlement. I was looking forward to it too, had a whole line of cage traps waiting for it, it was going to be tied to my militia commander... Ohwell.

Bummer.  It's always nice to have hundreds of roc meat roasts, roc eye roasts, roc spleen roasts, roc kidney roasts, roc brain roasts etc., as well as enough roc soap to build a tower out of soap and a roc skull totem, roc bone bolts, etc. etc.

Ha, all you need for that is a drive to breed stronger and fatter dogs. You'll get SO much fat, meat, skulls, and bones.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49600 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:29 pm »

Helllllllllo Tometower! Are. You. Ready. To. RUMMMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLE?

In the red corner, we have Spus Okomegngun, everyone's favorite fire breathing skunk, reigning champion of the caverns for over 2 years!
And in the brown corner, newcomer Gith Xubkibmothi! This winged mud ball thinks his webs will give him the edge over the champ, is he right folks? Let's find out!

DING!
The two charge straight at each, no pussyfooting here folks! Right down to the smackdown. Spus' famous flames have claimed lives with ease in the past, but whats this? Gith is still going! He's webbing that skunk with all his might! Keeping him pinned and raining blows from all sides, Spus just can't break out quick enough! GASP! A counterattack! Gith is down ladies and gents! Spus remains undefeated lord of the caverns!

OOC: Damn. I was hoping to finally be rid of that damned skunk.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Blazinganvil1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49601 on: February 19, 2017, 10:38:39 pm »

Son of a ___!!! Looked away for like 10 seconds, and the Capt. of the Guard (deliberately chosen because she is the WEAKEST dwarf in the entire fort!) has beaten my legendary stoneworker to death. Not cool.
A blood-soaked figure rose from the ashes…
And His name was Armok.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49602 on: February 20, 2017, 05:47:35 am »

Having survived a year long zombie siege, a failed mood and a couple of moody minotaurs debating whether or not to trash my fortress (they haven't yet), the ultimate test is about to begin.

"The enemy have come and are laying siege to the fortress"

Hmm. Curious message. Not goblins. I guess the humans are pissed off for some rea...Oh! Dwarves...

A bunch of golden haired, beardless dwarves.

This can only end badly.

-- And they're lead by that same living axedwarf who was hanging out with the zombies all last year. How curious.

--edit. And they're gone. Hello goodbye siege. Too bad, was looking forward to that fight...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:05:13 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49603 on: February 20, 2017, 08:37:48 am »

The goblin crossbowman bites the recruit in the thumb, right hand, but the attack is deflected by the recruit's +steel right gauntlet+!
The goblin crossbowman latches on firmly!
The goblin crossbowman shakes the recruit around by the thumb, right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The thumb, right hand is ripped away and remains in The goblin crossbowman's grip!

I call shenanigans.
This shenanigan is the basis for several Kisat Dur moves in adventure mode, though usually one would target something more important than a thumb :P

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49604 on: February 20, 2017, 12:59:05 pm »

I'm sorta excited for a roc or dragon to fly by my fort, cause we're in an evil biome with unconscious-ifying rain, and my combat log is constantly full of dozens of ravens or falcon men or whatever flying creatures plummeting to the ground as they fall unconscious mid-flight.

@MehMuffin: You can cave-in obsidian floors on top of the soil/dacite/etc. floor.

Would I need to do this individually for each layers floors or would caving in a full layer of walls give that layers and all ones cast atop it obsidian floors after dug out?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:07:12 pm by MehMuffin »
Pages: 1 ... 3305 3306 [3307] 3308 3309 ... 3842