Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3304 3305 [3306] 3307 3308 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106724 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49575 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:10 am »

Alright, that's it... I've had enough of all these dwarves sitting around. Everyone who's useless is going to be put into a nice little room with masterwork engravery, and bronze spears, to... admire the traps.

You cooould do the exactly same, except with access to Hell added. More amusing, and you get to see if any dorfs are secretly badass.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hobosullivan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hobosullivan, Peasant, withdraws from society...
    • View Profile
    • Sublime Curiosity
« Reply #49576 on: February 16, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »

My current project is a long-term fortress in a 250-year-old world (I usually go with 5-year world-gen, out of impatience). I've got a salt flat with a brook running through it to the south, and a nice forest of fruit trees to the north. My goals are 1) Keep the fortress going for at least 10 years (for a change), and 2) Document every event that interests me in a separate text document, for no reason whatsoever. It's been surprisingly successful so far: lots of rock-salt constructions, and I've just mined down into a layer of obsidian two to four layers beneath the surface. I've been lucky so far: after half a year, the only major issues were a single attack by an ordinary great horned owl, and the fact that I overfilled my underground reservoir and caused a minor flood, before I got the floodgate shut.
Collect clay /R
Make clay crafts /R

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49577 on: February 16, 2017, 05:24:54 pm »

Preparing to construct a great library made of electrum with many floors, though I have yet to decide how many. Display cases in the scholars' dining room will house the works produced within the fort while their copies line the shelves. The remains of any mega or forgotten beasts that attack Lened Misstar will be displayed in the library's entry hall, safe within display cases.

But before I can resume production of electrum and the construction of the library, I need to figure out how to keep my food stockpile from overflowing. The 100 jet pots produced in the first 6 months of the fort only lasted two years, and hold not a single drop of booze. I have stopped growing plants in my farms, but because of my livestock eugenics program I cannot stop butchering. The fact that my pop cap is 40 and my dwarves won't reproduce doesn't help either.

Blazinganvil1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49578 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:55 pm »

So, today something happened that I've Never seen in 4 years of playing DF. My Militia Commander has just been elected Mayor, which is weird, because not only was he (and still is) on active/training duty (mayor or not, he's the dorf with highest teaching skill, and my most experienced Macelord-- he's not going anywhere!). Yes, he killed the minotaur, but that is nothing new, I've never had a soldier become mayor. Also, I have no idea what will happen if he's killed in battle (the goblins have started sieging en masse) while mayor. I've only ever lost mayors while already experiencing !!Catastrophic Events!!
A blood-soaked figure rose from the ashes…
And His name was Armok.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49579 on: February 16, 2017, 09:27:26 pm »

Well my dwarven migrant processor is working great! I just assign it to be the meeting area, while everyone who'd usually go there meets in the tavern. Every migrant wave just runs in and lines up for processing! So far 92 dwarves have had to be buried through the processing, my migrant waves are huge... And usually full of nothing but useless, weak, no-skilled dwarves. Not even a legendary cheese maker. All the coffins are lined up around the tavern. Don't think there's ever been a more inviting image to outsiders than almost a hundred coffins lined around everyone's favourite meeting area.

I was joking about them enjoying the traps, but they really all are feeling pleasure and fondness seeing my masterfully laid spear traps.

Well now, this is interesting... A wereskunk attacked, and killed all but one victim, who sadly happened to be my broker, who's a legendary engraver... Ohwell, he's been put in the processing room, along with the next migrant wave. Can't wait for the next full moon! The room's been walled off so nobody can escape.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:54:52 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49580 on: February 16, 2017, 10:47:45 pm »

Well, the tundra fort was fun, but everyone's dead... Apparently a miner took a nip as he went by, and decided to end combat there... Everyone was either infected or slain by the wereskunk, and the lever for my processing room was destroyed in the massacre... Abandoned the fort, now I'm going to embark on the other side of the world and hope these guys don't come for me. Twenty two wereskunks... What have I done...
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49581 on: February 17, 2017, 04:13:58 am »

Keeping a watchful eye on the nearby zombie hoard, my dorfs have been getting ever more brazen in their wood gathering runs. No problems so far. With the door open for longer periods I've been inundated with mercs, which is nice. All of them are apparently happy to stay forever in our golden tomb. Some of them are clad in iron and bronze which is great 'cos all we have to offer them is tin.

Lack of a necromancer means the hoard will eventually be at a manageable size for a merc suicide charge to handle.

In other news, the tavern has gotten a whole lot more jolly with a sudden influx of naked elven dancers. The troupe is so big there's pretty much one each for every dorf in the fort. They're lead by a fully dressed goblin pimp artist.

Have also made the trading post zombie proof, just in case the caravan turns up.

Oh, and while the doorkeepers were distracted by the bouncing beauties heading in, a minotaur bard turned up. He was a big hit with the elves who love that he's dedicated his brief life to the arts unlike most of his kind. However, he's a bit of a loner and seems to be avoiding the tavern for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:18:15 am by Shonai_Dweller »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49582 on: February 17, 2017, 05:26:28 am »

Had a Roc fly by, it came in like it was going to attack, flew to the other side of the map, and leave. Guess it was on it's way to attack some other settlement. I was looking forward to it too, had a whole line of cage traps waiting for it, it was going to be tied to my militia commander... Ohwell.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49583 on: February 17, 2017, 07:14:21 am »

After a violent loyalty cascade involving 2 of my elite military units killed nearly 28 dwarves (about half of that was due too one lawless teenage hammer lord) I have run into a bit of !!fun!!. The cascade killed the sole legendary for the past 8 years. Along with the armor smith who toiled till mastery. The armor is being replaced by another dwarf with training, but I lack any other weaponsmith. Now I have to start mining out a lot of igneous and have a creative dwarf have a fun time mass producing bolts.

Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49584 on: February 17, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »

I've been taken by sudden passion to build a town, but that wouldn't be very dwarfy. Dwarves live in mountains, not the disgusting surface!

So as a dwarfy twist, I'm planning to embark on a mountain, carve out the inside, and build a town in the hollow.

Should be fun, plus very safe as the town walls are already built for me.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49585 on: February 17, 2017, 07:30:44 pm »

I have found a solution to my over-population of guests. It is simple, fun, and dwarven. 
It was just a simple matter of marking the dumpsite of the atom smasher as a meeting area.

I remove their FPS stealing gear and corpses with the down swing. When the bridge goes back up, they experience what I like to refer to as, fission based propulsion. By releasing the energy stored in the atom, it allows the Uristnauts to escape the earthy bonds.

So far one Uristnaut has been able to reach 13 z-levels above the launch point reaching the known limit of the atmosphere. However, more !!RESEARCH!! is needed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:33:12 pm by Ironfang »
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49586 on: February 18, 2017, 02:05:26 am »

Tometowers progress is slow. There are still like 70 more dwarves to build apartments for. My masons just can't keep up.

In other news the dwarven caravan packed up and left just as I was about to trade with them. The culprit is either a buzzard flying overhead or me using exterminate on the buzzards to end the cancellation spam. Either way heck these birds.

Also realized I hadn't put fortifications on top of the tower of justice so I added those in, and I'm continuing with fences along the cliff path edges.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49587 on: February 18, 2017, 02:17:49 am »

Each military dwarf shall serve as an engraver, doing nothing but training and smoothing and engraving walls and floors for the rest of their lives. Each will be accompanied by a dog, as well as a rhino if they get a noteworthy kill such as a cave crocodile. The one giant rhino shall be reserved for the militia commander, once I'm sure it's not going to go mad and kill everyone. The giant tiger breeding program is well under way, with two giant kittens growing up under constant watch of the dog packs.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #49588 on: February 18, 2017, 05:24:57 am »

An armadillo boar got spooked close to my stockade entrance and rolled up into a ball. It's now been rolled up for years while merchant caravans rumble over it. I have dogs leashed at the entrance to keep animals from wandering into the cage trap installation that is reserved for invaders. I assume it's their line of sight keeping the armadillo shut up tight. Last year an armadillo sow wandered close to the entrance and she too rolled up into a ball. She just gave birth to a pup so in years to come I'll probably have hundreds of armadillo balls in front of my gate.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49589 on: February 18, 2017, 10:19:22 am »

An armadillo boar got spooked close to my stockade entrance and rolled up into a ball. It's now been rolled up for years while merchant caravans rumble over it. I have dogs leashed at the entrance to keep animals from wandering into the cage trap installation that is reserved for invaders. I assume it's their line of sight keeping the armadillo shut up tight. Last year an armadillo sow wandered close to the entrance and she too rolled up into a ball. She just gave birth to a pup so in years to come I'll probably have hundreds of armadillo balls in front of my gate.
This made my weekend.
Pages: 1 ... 3304 3305 [3306] 3307 3308 ... 3842