Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3307 3308 [3309] 3310 3311 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106498 times)

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49620 on: February 21, 2017, 09:00:11 pm »

Terrifying / reanimating fort, 2 years old.  Been rough times, lost the surface to undead before the first Mountainhome caravan.  Got through that first winter by the skin of our teeth.  We've never had much, and moods are beginning to fray.  The majority of the dwarves are extremely stressed out, a few have been throwing tantrums, and at least two have lapsed into depression or melancholy.  Nearly every single dwarf in the fort has multiple undead kills, many of them having slain the same undead dwarf corpse multiple times.  It's the undead fighting that stresses them the most.

Needless to say I have not been overly careful with my wrangling of the little alcoholic buggers during the occasions they are, by necessity, outside.  I'm sure that several of them have needed to kill the reanimated corpse of a (former) loved one.  Naturally these things do not sit well.

The citizenry has grown to around 80 now, with quite a few visitors petitioning for residency.

Also a dragon showed up a few months ago and started melting anyone that arrived on-map, which was something in the neighborhood of 500+ individuals by the time the thing went down to accumulated bleeding.  They just kept arriving, I think the game was trying to meet some "visitor" quota, and kept spawning new guests when the old ones died.  It was particularly funny when an entire dance troupe would arrive, and then a few seconds later I'd read "Urist McBumblefeet, dancer, has been found melted".

Half the map is carnage and ashes.

Also the dragon carcass arose as an undead dragon, which is much less horrifying given that its breath weapon is gone.  It's still wandering around up there, though - I'll have to deal with it somehow.

The more immediate problem, however, is the brewing tantrum spiral.

Thanks for listening!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49621 on: February 21, 2017, 11:30:39 pm »

I lost two miners for the same reason: cavin-in dust pushed them into magma.

Population down to 25.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49622 on: February 21, 2017, 11:36:05 pm »

You have struck Malachite. Praise the miners!
After a year of tin and gold I can finally arm my military in good decent copper.

Well I would if I hadn't already filled up the positions I need right now with mercenaries. They all have their own stuff, mostly bronze and iron which is nice. Will spend the time to make some dwarf-sized bronze equipment.

In other news, a couple of dorfs have had to be 'rescued' from the booze pile. A quick trip to hospital and they're just fine. I assume it's a harmless boozing incident. 'Felt nothing after being inebriated' is a bit worrying though.

Odd though, since the booze pile in question is upstairs, away from the inn which seems to indicate these fellas managed to drink themselves into a near-lethal stupor without the help of my innkeeper.

Tavern is going nicely. Off duty dorfs are socializing with each other and the naked elf dancers. All good.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49623 on: February 21, 2017, 11:44:08 pm »

It seems nature is protecting my fort... A giant jaguar ripped apart the kobold who was about to get away with one of my artifacts. Rhinos killed a siege, a giant eagle tore a chunk from a giant letting my soldiers take down what was left, some crundles took out the fire breathing vomit lump just outside of my stairs...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49624 on: February 22, 2017, 10:19:10 am »

I have two words for you.

Magma engineering.

It was inevitable.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49625 on: February 22, 2017, 12:38:12 pm »

Apparently I hadn't realized/had forgotten that certain words, while literally plural such as "gauntlets" in the Squad Uniform DesignerTM, are in fact singular (e.g. "gauntlet") in the Squad Equipment ManagerTM, where this distinction matters.

Certainly would explain some of the injuries I've seen in recent goblin sieges...
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49626 on: February 22, 2017, 09:17:24 pm »

Apparently I hadn't realized/had forgotten that certain words, while literally plural such as "gauntlets" in the Squad Uniform DesignerTM, are in fact singular (e.g. "gauntlet") in the Squad Equipment ManagerTM, where this distinction matters.

Certainly would explain some of the injuries I've seen in recent goblin sieges...
What's the Squad Equpiment Manager?
I assign my dorfs metal gauntlets and they seem to work it out just fine.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49627 on: February 22, 2017, 09:48:07 pm »

@MehMuffin: You can cave-in obsidian floors on top of the soil/dacite/etc. floor.

Would I need to do this individually for each layers floors or would caving in a full layer of walls give that layers and all ones cast atop it obsidian floors after dug out? Because if it was individual there'd be no way to have two stories dug out in a row of fully obsidian walls and floors, no? Because dropping the top layers floors would collapse the ceilings of the first.

@Fleeting Frames

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49628 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:23 am »

Hey, uh, need some suggestions on what to carve my fortress entrance into. 5-wide entrance, with 3 z-levels of walls above and 3 z-levels of walls below, so plenty of room.

a dragon
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49629 on: February 23, 2017, 01:09:35 pm »

A toggleable magma curtain/door.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49630 on: February 23, 2017, 01:47:41 pm »

A toggleable magma curtain/door.

...coming out of a dragon
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #49631 on: February 23, 2017, 02:26:25 pm »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49632 on: February 23, 2017, 02:52:55 pm »

What's the Squad Equpiment Manager?
I assign my dorfs metal gauntlets and they seem to work it out just fine.
m+e

Compare:
Spoiler: Squad Uniform Designer (click to show/hide)

Though now I have a different problem where I have more than enough gauntlets but some are simply not equipping them despite using Replace Clothing and Exact Matches...
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49633 on: February 23, 2017, 08:07:57 pm »

I usually wall a moody dwarf off if he requests something I don't have. I can mine him back out if I suddenly happen to get the thing he wants, and he won't drink or eat until his artifact is finished, so it doesn't cause any problems that weren't already there.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49634 on: February 24, 2017, 12:22:53 am »

Decided to start a fort and immediately pierce the second cavern layer, to see when some things I'd modded in would appear... First thing that happens is a pair of Anardon that happened to be just beside the stairs ripped apart my miners, and ran up, rampaging through the tavern for food and drink... The three assembled mercenaries filled one with bolts and spear holes, but were ripped apart for their efforts. The outpost liaison managed to survive, having gone to sleep in the corner, while everyone else in the tavern were slain. Well, mission accomplished!

For reference, Anardon are basically t-rex.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 3307 3308 [3309] 3310 3311 ... 3842