Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3257 3258 [3259] 3260 3261 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121456 times)

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48870 on: November 27, 2016, 11:41:20 pm »

I finally learned how to use the Manager to keep my dwarves happy.

I'm also attempting to dam a river with a magma pipe reaching almost all the way across a 5x3 embark just so I can have a well in my fort's hospital. This comes after I finally learned how to safely tap a volcano or magma pipe and made a lava moat for the first time. Annoyingly, I keep getting more and more migrants. I'm considering just sacrificing them to the lava gods until population is down enough for everyone to have a bed.

All in all, I think I'm getting more and more dwarfy every day.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48871 on: November 28, 2016, 01:59:49 am »

Picking DF back up again after nearly a year (I think) is probably a bad idea when I have a 16-20 page History paper rough draft due Friday evening, but here I am.

Ye Olde Single Pick Challenge has now been adapted to Ye Olde Single Pick + Single Axe Challenge since non-edged axes no longer cut trees (damn you, Toady!). I picked a lovely little Terrifying biome, stripped my dwarves of everything but the pick and the axe, and sent them into the unknown.

The vile mucus doesn't seem to do much other than make my dwarves dizzy, but a giant bat killed off one peasant almost as soon as I opened the caverns. In the process of killing it, it sent my miner and another peasant into the long slow dehydration slide of bedrest. (The caverns have no water source, and dwarves still refuse to medicate the wounded with booze.) They both died a few minutes ago so I saved and shut down for the night. The four remaining dwarves will have to found the colony on their own, I guess... at least I can repurpose the beds for a dormitory now so they can toss and turn while the haunting moans of the dead echo in their dreams under an endless sky of flapping bat wings sleep.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48872 on: November 28, 2016, 05:10:35 am »

> (I think) is probably a bad idea when I have a 16-20 page History paper rough draft due Friday evening

Legends mode + screenshots + printer.  Done!

P.S. If you want to get a higher mark, I recommend inserting "It was inevitable" in interesting places.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48873 on: November 28, 2016, 09:18:19 am »

Running  masterwork.

A while back I fought off my first ruthenaur attack after my cI've came at end with theirs. I upgraded my defenses a bit buy I feel fairly safe for now with them and my military which is moving towards full mithril gear.

Now while waiting for a king and another large glorious attack to defend against I've undertaken a few projects. A decently sized tavern for visitors. A mid size but nice temple ( citizen only) and a large library roughly 30×40 in size with over a hundred bookcases and lots of space for my scholars and scribes to work
 This will later be upgraded with the masterwork library workshops.

Now I wanted something bigger.  Some sort of magma cannon will come later but I need a hall of heroes. Ten lvls high and 30x20 in size with a large alcove at the end. Each level will be lined with alcovesome at the side. Engraved and containing gem statues so over 30 statues per level.  Over 300 in total. A golden ramp will lead down in this large open hall. Magma will flow along the sides or the entire floor. Maybe some sort of glass floor there. Not sure what to put at the end of that walk but it this is going to be glorious. A true trial before creating something even grander much much deeper.

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48874 on: November 28, 2016, 05:09:17 pm »

I just realized that clothes production and fabric production are immensely important. Oops.

Trying desperately to play catch-up with the 113 citizens' worn out materials.

Update:

New fort just died horribly to a swarm of undead Giant Sparrows because I tried to make a predominantly above-ground fort. GG me. :'D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:10:56 am by Azereiah »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48875 on: November 29, 2016, 11:36:29 am »

Well, Chamberknow is chugging along relatively well in spite of the early deaths. Someone started a fight and a knee got injured, so I almost lost another one to dehydration, but I realized a crutch would get the poor 14-year-old farmer back on her feet and over to the booze stocks, so that worked.

The first year caravan wagon inexplicably disintegrated somewhere north of the depot. I've reclaimed nearly all of the materials. Again, the vile mucus doesn't do anything other than make dwarves dizzy, so that's a blessing. I have an above-ground structure for defense and my plans for a larger underground fortress are coming along nicely. Soon I'll start trapping the caves and fashioning my standard Forgotten Beast Trap System. (I'll need some cats though...)

The liason hasn't left yet, and I need to start thinking about some temples and gathering places. In another few months I want to have a much more systematic workshop-and-stockpile setup. Eventually I'll get around to more complex aboveground defenses.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48876 on: November 29, 2016, 08:03:55 pm »

The werewombat dwarf bookkeeper/manager/outpost liaison (need to change for next caravan lol) is firmly locked away. I'm going to need to construct some form of chute, probably with a retracting bridge, to drop arms and armor in there. I have no idea if he'll keep his equipment when transformed - prior experience appears to say no, but the weredwarves may very well have bashed it all off each other while transformed. Plus he's gonna constantly train if I have anything to say about it (which I have), so even while nontransformed I can deploy him to the surface fully equipped for some goblin takedowns or similar. And he'll transform, becoming ridiculously lethal for nothing more than a large wombat, healing twice in a few days. If he loses his equipment it could be a problem, as once he transforms back he'll be insanely vulnerable while fighting anything more than a snatcher (already had dwarves and dogs beat one to death, the second time he appeared. Take that, goblins.), though if I train him to Legendary unarmed skills (including dodging, of course) he might still be good enough to escape. Or last until I send a massive number of other equipped dwarves after them. Assuming I can find any metals or at least magma down there. I've got ... silver. Which, if that tower ever does anything, might be useful for hammers and maces ... but that's it.

In other news, a goblin siege. Lol, noobs. Lock the hatches with the snatcher still down there, laugh at the unfortunate livestock and the lame siege, and wonder if it's worth throwing the nontransformed untrained weredwarf at them. Probably not, unfortunately. Gonna need to hurl some large creatures down there so he can transform and learn some skills against them. Passive stuff that's still tough ... yaks? Unfortunately my only water buffalo recently died (a single squad siege of ranged goblins, blast it) due to manager failures (sorry).

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48877 on: November 29, 2016, 10:06:25 pm »

I saw a bowdwarf migrant.
I thought randomly generated dorfs don't use bows?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48878 on: November 30, 2016, 01:22:45 am »

Might have been an immigrant adventurer from a foreign land that gained citizenship or something.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48879 on: November 30, 2016, 02:08:58 am »

I'm trying to get my beds sorted out so that all the 2x4 bedrooms have excellent quality and all the 4x4 bedrooms have masterwork quality.  Also, cause I'm a spaz, I'm trying to make half of them out of plum wood and half out of larch wood.  I really wish toady would implement standard materials.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48880 on: November 30, 2016, 08:00:19 am »

I'm trying to get my beds sorted out so that all the 2x4 bedrooms have excellent quality and all the 4x4 bedrooms have masterwork quality.  Also, cause I'm a spaz, I'm trying to make half of them out of plum wood and half out of larch wood.  I really wish toady would implement standard materials.
being able to select min AND max quality in planning mode would be good enough.
also being able to select min and max for any option in the "find location" on the pre-embark map would be so awesome!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48881 on: November 30, 2016, 09:48:05 am »

Finally got my my beds.

150 Dwarves
200 Cap

Excellent
56 larch
56 plum
16 bayberry
16 peach

Masterwork
20 larch
20 plum
2 bayberry

186 beds total (Hoping I get at least 16 couples)

Now wtf am i going to do with the rest of the beds I made?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:53:01 pm by ringringlingling »

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48882 on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:15 am »

Other things going on:

1) My armorer still isn't legendary, even after making 100 iron chain leggings (melting all the non masterworks as we speak)
2) I have 350 quarry bushes that need processing
3) I finally figured out how to give my (replaced) mayor his billon door by setting it to internal.  (Already sent two people to jail over it, the first got elected new mayor cause he likes silver and I built a silver themed mayors office/quarters/dining room)
4) Had to channel a hole in my tunnel entrance for some fresh air cause a dead bear corpse was stinking up the place

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48883 on: November 30, 2016, 10:25:29 am »

Gauntlets and boots would provide twice the experience per job :v Still, well, assuming 30 exp per produced items it is 500 to legendary. (Not sure if it is actually that much.)

Most would just remove the corpse, but I guess it adds atmosphere :P

@Pirate: You can select quality with dfhack's planning mode, I think.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48884 on: November 30, 2016, 10:26:51 am »

To get rid of beds...
When the human or dwarf caravan shows, in the move goods to depot screen hit "s" type "bed" and trade them. Works for ALL the crap you accumulate. Lead bars too. ;)

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.
Pages: 1 ... 3257 3258 [3259] 3260 3261 ... 3842