Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3258 3259 [3260] 3261 3262 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121256 times)

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48885 on: November 30, 2016, 12:16:26 pm »

leggings melt for 1.6 bars, giving you more metal than what you started with.

Caravan isn't until autumn, its near the end of winter.

I couldn't move the dead corpse because the miasma kept driving them away.  An unfortunate side effect of tooling about with refuse standing order settings, for some reason it wouldn't butcher.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48886 on: November 30, 2016, 12:28:38 pm »

Spearstilled finally got some action. After years of weak sieges goblins marched in with a force of sixty beak dog riding warriors and nearly three hundred trolls. My tiny militia of twelve weapon lords fought bravely but were eventually exhausted and overwhelmed.

I trapped the majority of the invasion force between two raising bridges where they are now happily destroying the remains of my visitor tavern and depot area. This opens some possibilities; I still have 68 dwarves, mostly intact production capability and some reanimating ground available.

Now to figure out how to get maximal FUN out of this situation...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:32:24 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48887 on: November 30, 2016, 01:13:11 pm »

*snip*
@Pirate: You can select quality with dfhack's planning mode, I think.
yes, but only min quality, not max.
so if i want to place 50 beds of exceptional quality for the majority of the population and reserve those masterpieces for the nobles, i'll have a hard time.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48888 on: November 30, 2016, 02:03:21 pm »

(already had dwarves and dogs beat one to death, the second time he appeared. Take that, goblins.),
for a second there, I thought you said the dwarves and dogs were beating each other to death....

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48889 on: November 30, 2016, 03:01:41 pm »

Huh, High Boots still return more metal than you start with.  Its prolly worth it for double the XP, then.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48890 on: November 30, 2016, 04:49:16 pm »

Works for ALL the crap you accumulate. Lead bars too. ;)
But lead bars are great for training your metal crafter. Then you can sell the lead toys and goblets.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48891 on: November 30, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »

Works for ALL the crap you accumulate. Lead bars too. ;)
But lead bars are great for training your metal crafter. Then you can sell the lead toys and goblets.
But then you've got to deal with overweighted caravans, if you do what I did - took six craftsdwarf shops and ordered them to repeat produce stone crafts. Leveled quite a few crafters up and sold bins upon bins of stuff to the traders every time they came round, to buy basically everything I wanted. It was awesome. Of course, you'd be levelling metalworkers, but that's even better, if you want masterwork steel... tables? Doors? Etc.? Not as useful as crafters, really, at least they don't produce anything truly valuable to a fortress. And plus this stonecrafting cleaned an awful lot of extra stone out of my fortress. It was perfect - the overflowing stone stockpiles had to be refilled at the end, which had never happened before in that fortress. It was a good one, 40.24. Still have it, lol, but now I've got a fortress finally crumbling at the hands of werewombats and goblins and hopefully soon some necros. I just lost half the livestock so we'll see how this turns out - the dogs aren't growing fast enough to slaughter and I probably won't be slaughtering them soon anyways, since I need to bloat the population significantly first. But the plump helmets are growing as fast as they need to, given my small and highly unfortunate population that'll probably literally disintegrate  the minute I finally find that dang magma that absolutely must be somewhere down there.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48892 on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:27 pm »

I don't atomsmash (think its cheesy) so I trade everything away.

After 2 years real life, 40.19 Anvillocked finally bugged out on me.
Last week I upgraded to 64 bit 43.05 bare bones pack.
Things done in that week. 5 game years.
Clearcut the 6*6.
Dug the "rough" top part of fort.
Dug out and smoothed 400 6*6 bedrooms, placed 200 masterwork stone doors, 100 masterwork copper doors., placed 400 masterwork beds. (All doors will be copper soon)
Crafted 14k+ copper bolts. Last tetrahedrite being smelted now.
Crafted all stone from digging.
Carved al gems.
10 wood furnaces work nonstop, burning the 19k logs left after making the beds.
Things I haven't done yet.
Started mining. Made a meeting area. Made a mug. Made a temple, tavern, library. Bought or produced a clothing item, or wheelbarrow/ minecart.
I haven't even bothered with the new to me manager/work order system yet.
Total population 376.
FPS 15~20.

Goatmaan

My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #48893 on: November 30, 2016, 11:57:32 pm »

I don't atomsmash (think its cheesy) so I trade everything away.

After 2 years real life, 40.19 Anvillocked finally bugged out on me.
Last week I upgraded to 64 bit 43.05 bare bones pack.
Things done in that week. 5 game years.
Clearcut the 6*6.
Dug the "rough" top part of fort.
Dug out and smoothed 400 6*6 bedrooms, placed 200 masterwork stone doors, 100 masterwork copper doors., placed 400 masterwork beds. (All doors will be copper soon)
Crafted 14k+ copper bolts. Last tetrahedrite being smelted now.
Crafted all stone from digging.
Carved al gems.
10 wood furnaces work nonstop, burning the 19k logs left after making the beds.
Things I haven't done yet.
Started mining. Made a meeting area. Made a mug. Made a temple, tavern, library. Bought or produced a clothing item, or wheelbarrow/ minecart.
I haven't even bothered with the new to me manager/work order system yet.
Total population 376.
FPS 15~20.

Goatmaan
That's a pretty incredible accomplishment. How old is the fort in game years and how good is your computer?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48894 on: December 01, 2016, 12:18:52 am »

That's...Impressive. Certainly better than I can do. Side note: 376/5=75,2 souls a year.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48895 on: December 01, 2016, 08:36:34 am »

The dead walk.

Couldn't fight them with unfinished defense so I closed the door, sigh.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48896 on: December 01, 2016, 08:48:26 am »

~ 150 goblins came for a visit, I dont yet have an appropriate meat grinder built and have a total of 20 recruits, consisting of 10 marksdwarves and 10 hammerdwarves, half equip with iron armor, most missing several pieces the smiths are currently forging, so I may as well as far as I can tell, have no military at all, you cant fight that many things, only a fool attacks a larger force so ill be cowering in my fortress for another year, real shame since above ground defenses is all im currently working on, since when it isnt goblins its undead rampaging around (thanks necromancer tower, I really should check my neighbors before embark), so my next several hours of play will be waiting for goblins to leave.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48897 on: December 01, 2016, 08:55:29 am »

~ 150 goblins came for a visit, I dont yet have an appropriate meat grinder built and have a total of 20 recruits, consisting of 10 marksdwarves and 10 hammerdwarves, half equip with iron armor, most missing several pieces the smiths are currently forging, so I may as well as far as I can tell, have no military at all, you cant fight that many things, only a fool attacks a larger force so ill be cowering in my fortress for another year, real shame since above ground defenses is all im currently working on, since when it isnt goblins its undead rampaging around (thanks necromancer tower, I really should check my neighbors before embark), so my next several hours of play will be waiting for goblins to leave.

Maybe the undead will kill the goblins?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48898 on: December 01, 2016, 09:11:46 am »

Maybe the undead will kill the goblins?
They come with a necromancer or two every time, last thing i need is 150 more corpses added to that, but maybe, personally I hope they just leave so I can either build a magma moat, drowning chamber/obsidian casting room with water and magma with the volcano ive got, or just a big wall, since its far less work and im not particularly good with liquids and dont understand pumps or powering things yet.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:26:19 am by Weizen1988 »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48899 on: December 01, 2016, 09:53:10 am »

Fortunately, I didn't see a necromancer. No new reanimated animal corpses showed he might have already left.
So I can just send an ax squad to hack them up if they refuse to leave.
Edit*

Unfortunately, the game crashed after I opened the door and the dead attacked/saw certain targets.
I tried several times and gave up.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:58:52 am by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3258 3259 [3260] 3261 3262 ... 3842