Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3259 3260 [3261] 3262 3263 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121094 times)

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48900 on: December 01, 2016, 10:06:44 am »

I built my computer in 2011, I5 Sandy(ridge/bridge?) 3,3 ghz, 8 gb Gskill ram 1600, Win 7. Nvidea 560 fermi.  Built for another single core melter called X3 Terran Conflict.
I followed a flightsim link to max single core performance, and shutdown MANY unneeded windows processes. I'm not a programmer so killing 20+ processes in H_KEY_ROOT on a brand new $1200 box was scary  ;)
I don't have internet (just my old phone) so that helps with cpu load. But going to the library for downloads hurts!

I have my pop caps at 1500/2000(strict)  Child 500/90
Medium world genned to 1050 years (about 2 hours)
Weres and Vampires off, large fort micro hell/justice screen hell.
20 z's to 1st cavern, 5 between caverns, and set to be more open.
Took the mistakes made with Anvillocked and struck the earth HARD.
 Its spring of 1057 now, total pop. 378, 140 children(all harvest ;) )
Eeek"! Just counted...38 DEATHS!!! Better make a freshwater well/soap/hospital !! Damned owls.
Oh and its 47,000 copper bolts. Gotta stop that.
No iron/flux on map yet. Tetrahedrite/galena. Been buying iron/steel since first caravan.
In 40.19 Anvillocked I tried to provide the widest range of cloth/leather types and clothing item types from them, big mistake. Even using dfhacks cleanowned the lists were huge.
43.05 Cogkatak "Bootscaly" does not have dfhacks cleanowned. Even limiting to cloth/yarn and minimum coverage, I fear clothing them. I've seen the numbers of worn clothes 900+ dwarfs can generate, and I fear them above ALL else without cleanowned.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

kingboxz

• Bay Watcher
  • DEAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48901 on: December 01, 2016, 01:31:00 pm »

Just started a new fortress. Going well so far with basic industries set up.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48902 on: December 01, 2016, 08:03:49 pm »

In the latest weird news from Chamberknow, the temple I built for Zekrim the Lurid Galls (god of deformity) was named, by default, 'The Temple of Sucking.'

Ok then...

Edit: Aaaaaand we have a vampire in the fort. Somewhere. Thank Armok! I was afraid this fort would turn out boring, like all the others. *wicked grin slowly spreads across face*
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:13:21 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48903 on: December 01, 2016, 08:44:13 pm »

@Goatmaan: I think cleanowned works in 43.05 dfhack alpha. Used it to help sell worn cloth to caravans.

That's lot of bolts, how's the fps?

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48904 on: December 02, 2016, 12:54:26 am »

1057 (7th year) summer migrant wave just arrived, 414 total dwarfs, 148 of those children.
I totally underestimated the new (to me) jobs, theese little s.o.b's HAUL. I had started with a 3x4 wood pile, but asap made room inside, eventually made a max 31x31 insids and it filled quickly, so I made 2 more, and placed 10 furnaces beside them. Couldn't dent them. So ok let's make log piles outside 1,2,3,4,5,6 holy crap I'm now surrounded by 19k logs stockpiled on the surface!! NO MINECARTS/ WHEELBARROWS USED. On a 6*6 map. Ooh crap.
Spooling up the clothing industry....where the is that dimple dye that 2 5*5 farms have been growing /milling for 5 years?? I see someone doing a "square dance" in the food pile...v on him...50(or 60!!) Bags of dimple dye on him! Really? How the hell am I going to keep them busy?
I'm all for improvement,  but come on 1 to 60?! Toady caved to the " I can't play below 99 fps" crowd. Baa.
Still didn't fix the problem, those logs scattered around were causing 10 to 15 second freezes, then magic "jumps", smoothing large areas of bedrooms did the same.
Oh well, at least he's trying. Sorry for the rant.
Yes I realize I'm the one who's breaking the bounds here, I'm the odd man out.
On the bright side....it didn't crash ;)
Scrambling to make a well,hospital, and holy Armok how many gods are there? Statues to gods [items] mugs [items] musical instraments/parts [items] bookcases/codexes/parchments [items]
So much for keeping item counts low!  :)
Oh and its obvious I need ten squads of ten pretty fast too.
Someone shoot me, please.
fps bounces 10~20. For now.
Zstocks created wealth 2503637
weapons 747138 (steel is costly, spiked wood balls)
Armor and garb.    NONE.  Seven years, better make some clothes. Ha.

Goatmaan

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48905 on: December 02, 2016, 01:11:18 am »

I figured out who the vampire is. He's currently experiencing bloodletting in what will become the communal well. (I.E. he's getting spiked over and over again by an ashen training spear to leech his blood into the surrounding water.)

I should feel guilty about this, but I don't. Running all-vampire forts is so much fun.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48906 on: December 02, 2016, 03:36:53 am »

Goatmaan, as somebody who started in 42.06 this year, what exactly was out of place that merited all caps? Four hundred dwarves being able to haul logs?

In my experience, encumberance for logs varies, even with just the 7 on embark. Some move logs like they weight nothing, others I v-check to check if they're dragging a boulder. Current solution: Nested minecarts, hauling 120 logs to stockpile a pop with wheelbarrow.

What is the thing that was 60 times harder before? Currently a job with unskilled labor typically takes a few days, did it use to take over a year to make single pick with dabbling weaponsmith?

And doesn't clothing lose a level per 2 years? Hm. Could just do without if they're fine now. Less unhappy thoughts than XXclothesXX, I think.

Heh. I think my favourite thing to avoid clutter and the like is putting dwarves in military, as opposed to encrusting/smoothing.

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48907 on: December 02, 2016, 07:28:12 am »

Busy day.

1) Got 100 dorfs assigned to quarters (finally)
2) Furnished 40 rooms (doors, coffers, cabinets)
3) making 10k coins each of copper, silver, gold, and billon
4) ton of other shit (20 steel breastplates, 6 custom statues, processed 400 quarry bushes, 100 cloth bags, ect.)

To Do List
1) 10k gold, silver, and copper every year for 10 years, plus a new commemorative collectors coin material every year
2) Outfit my new Spearmen Squads
3) Kill Forgotten Beast roaming the caverns
4) Start processing my adamantium

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48908 on: December 02, 2016, 07:33:00 am »

dwaves only need 3 clothing layers, pants, shoes and shirts.

If you put them in the military and make some leggings, a mail shirt and some boots, then have them "always on", you never have to worry about clothing wear again.  (I imagine that would chaff like crazy, though)  Might as well make them a helm, while you're at it.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48909 on: December 02, 2016, 07:40:57 am »

It's been quite bloody of late. Goblin siege comprising two squads of bowmen arrives. They can't breach our walls but they do managed to shoot and kill a few of our marksdwarves, as well as a hapless construction worker on the wall (which hadn't been finished yet, hence no fortifications for the marksdwarves). In return a few goblins jumped/fell into the moat and drowned.

I decided to finally found a proper military and set up the infrastructure for mass production of arms and armour. My dwarves are stuck with copper armour since tetrahedrite's the only ore we have large quantities of, but at least that also means silver hammers. Seemingly the goblins caught wind of our plan because they up and left.

Then a cyclops attacked, killed my two hand to hand soldiers, and got pincushioned by marksdwarves.

We have nearly finished the outer wall's upper level, which should hopefully mean that our builders can continue work on the main fort without further interruption. None of this is yet usable, so our industry and "living areas" are confined to a temporary hole in the soil, which might be making my dwarves unhappy. My plan to put the servant's quarters (i.e. most of the bedrooms) on the top floor probably doesn't help as this means it'll be a long time until we build them...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48910 on: December 02, 2016, 12:05:59 pm »

Fleeting Frames,
I spent two real life years playing 1 fort. 40.19 Anvillocked.I reached a high of just over 800 adults. I used very inefficient hauling to occupy them. 1 log/stone /whatever + long walk=time. 1 occupied dwarf.  That's now gone. I didn't check just how many logs were being hauled per dwarf, but 19k logs is a large number, if you subtract the nonhauling children that leaves about 250 haulers, subtract the ones busy with industries and i might have 100 haulers. The 1 to 60 refers to hauling, 1 dwarf could haul 1 "thing" per trip, they now haul 60 !!
 That's great for small forts, but dooms a large one to idleness very, very quickly. Hence my need to make ten squads of ten very quickly, no way to keep them busy, if hauling 19k logs (without wheelbarrows/minecarts!!) across a 6*6 map didn't phase them, nothing short of strip mining will.
And 43.05 Bootscaly is just getting started.....

Goatmaan
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:39:00 pm by Goatmaan »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48911 on: December 02, 2016, 12:32:20 pm »

When you say idle dwarves will leave you 'doomed', I think you are referring to the old bugbear of "superfriend syndrome" which is no longer a problem IMHO in 43.05, with the massive morale changes.  For a player used to keeping dwarves happy in the older versions, it is extremely easy to keep dwarves ridiculously happy and stable in the current versions.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48912 on: December 02, 2016, 01:24:40 pm »

Anvillocked ran for 40+ game years in the tantrum spiral days of 40.19, so keeping them "happy" isn't the issue.
 Have you seen 400+ idlers? I have. And they need space, lots of it. That's the problem.
I'll get a handle on the idler problem, I just thought the logs would buy me more time, so much for thinking ;)

Goatmaan

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48913 on: December 02, 2016, 01:50:29 pm »

I'll get a handle on the idler problem, I just thought the logs would buy me more time, so much for thinking ;)

I've always found an incorrectly set up QSP will occupy many dwarfs.

Just don't set the 1x1 destination stockpile to accept anything.  Your dwarfs will forever be stuck in a loop of taking things from the feeder stockpile to the minecart, then from the QSP back to the feeder stockpile.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48914 on: December 02, 2016, 04:35:23 pm »

Chamberknow is now fully vampirized, except for the two babies born in the last year. The vampire in the well gave his life for this, and it's damn worth it. I just need to memorialize him so his ghost doesn't haunt the fort.

I'm so happy. I thought I wasn't going to get another chance at this--vampires seem a lot rarer since 34.x.
Pages: 1 ... 3259 3260 [3261] 3262 3263 ... 3842