Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3193 3194 [3195] 3196 3197 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126171 times)

Xnidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47910 on: July 23, 2016, 11:43:48 am »

This lack of enemies continues to be a fucking annoyance. I've yet to have any threat to actually TEST the wiki's theory about hatches being a defense against building destroyers.

Wait, you haven't been fighting people? I've had tons of invasions since 43.xx

The same here. I started recently a new fortress in 43.03 and I received three goblin sieges in the last 5 fort years, the last two sieges had 100+ invaders including goblins, trolls and beak dogs (yummi). The only problem is that my dorfs are too powerful and easily annihilated  each enemy that tried to enter into the fortress.

The defense design also was surprinsingly effective. The entrance is only a long three tile wide bridge elevated three z-levels over the floor. This reduce the effective attack power of the siege to three invaders at a time (does no matter the true siege size), nothing important for a legendary soldier squad  :P Maybe in a future I will try to design magma land-mines, just for fun. But before I must to transform the volcano crater into a legendary temple, jeje.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:47:48 am by Xnidus »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47911 on: July 23, 2016, 12:00:11 pm »

I find having lots of hunters always hunting and then having a statue garden on the roof of a building, thus attracting off duty hunters, works pretty good for ranged defense. They'll jump to the defense of their people, without need for pesky uniforms and assigning of military, and go more than one for one in kills to death.

In other news: Generated a world with the twelve hours of keyboard smashing/modding/updating two year old mods I've been doing. The draconians were rather nice, until they invaded and killed everyone. I don't even know what I did, one year they were trading with me, the next they were riding in and setting fire to everything. Literally. The map burned down because there were two burning draconian soldiers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47912 on: July 23, 2016, 12:12:06 pm »

Might be not what you did, but who became their new ruler or interaction with your civ elsewhere. Check Legends Mode?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47913 on: July 23, 2016, 12:14:47 pm »

Might be not what you did, but who became their new ruler or interaction with your civ elsewhere. Check Legends Mode?

Apparently there was a dispute over animal abuse... Didn't know that'd cause a war, but ohwell. I'll be prepared next time. With more steel, because iron doesn't cut it against another civ that uses steel.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47914 on: July 23, 2016, 02:08:11 pm »

If the another civ that uses steel uses steel armors, it might - just make sure to use copper/silver warhammers (or morningstars/whips if you can).

Steel cutting weapons perform hilariously awfully against steel armor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47915 on: July 23, 2016, 04:17:14 pm »

This lack of enemies continues to be a fucking annoyance. I've yet to have any threat to actually TEST the wiki's theory about hatches being a defense against building destroyers.

Wait, you haven't been fighting people? I've had tons of invasions since 43.xx

Nope. Even in Kobold Kamp, having thus set all other races to be hostile, I haven't got jack shit in several versions, save a couple necromancer sieges.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47916 on: July 23, 2016, 04:39:34 pm »

Put more nobles with [MILITARY STRATEGY] onto the entity and civs will have the capacity to make more armies out of surplus population. That's to say i don't know the specifics about how armies draft or are divided, though the general benefit is that it makes them more competent at what they do in a sense and i think it nets the individual (i heard a tidbit about this not sure if its true given its hard to confirm) tactics skills if they survive.

Generally without modding to give dwarves a population siege trigger of four (110 people in-site, which seems fair for a siege of 120-150 people wearing steel armour possibly riding cavern beasts from a fortress perspective) to also prompt them to go after the largest and usually capital (In terms of cutting down the largest goblin pits and towers in range) provinces of their own accord, they are actually very good at offensive warfare in this respect because they have lots of worthy site nobles to lead in each site and letting the dwarf civ grow means they can bulk up (also given that they will wear full suits of armor).

The fact that as toady in the devblog points out (dwarves may now have a reason to hover their hand over the trigger to go to war) pretty much excites this fact I've pointed out.

3 armies leading successive hits on a target or multiple targets at once with different nobleman commanders (such as a goblin civilisation given site nobles, as per my own modding to offer more military, directed by a general noble *who might be responsible for manifesting armies, needs science*) can usually crush the enemy with attrition or numbers. Given the defenders have to duel with less people on the 'second-round' it evens out even uphill fights so that wars are more resolute if one sided rather than fizzing out at a peace deal and nothing .

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47917 on: July 23, 2016, 05:17:35 pm »

Hmm. I could use that to make dwarves and elves invade more, tempting. Assuming that tidbit is even remotely true. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47918 on: July 23, 2016, 11:33:26 pm »

Ooh, the Draconian caravan's here... I've completely forgotten what their trade goods are like, hope they like porcelain. Still kind of wish I had graphics for them, instead of them just being white and red D's...

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47919 on: July 24, 2016, 12:08:11 am »

The captured elven diplomat has been demoted, apparently, because a new one showed up.  I had my military kill him.  I had nothing to say to him.  The caravan also arrived, and although I thought about killing them, too, I thought it might be more useful for them to carry news of our hostility back home, so I just offered them wood/swiped their stuff again to make them leave angry.

Greatercrypts is down to 7-9 FPS, so I generated a new world in another window and am playing the second game concurrently.  I briefly considered embarking in an evil biome, but then remembered the last time I tried that, and how unfun and unFun unkillable hair is.  So I embarked into a normal area instead.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47920 on: July 24, 2016, 12:19:22 am »

Alright, so the Draconians had practically nothing, other than an oddly large amount of cows. My great cheese maker who I was about to set to pure hauling duty is having a hayday, making cheese on end. I've got five miners mining, a woodcutter felling trees, two guys hauling kaolinite for my potter, someone making coke and iron, and a guy making charcoal and ash... Once the next migrant wave hits, I'll decide between having five masons working 24/7 making blocks and making a castle, getting a proper farm running, or making weapons and armour.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #47921 on: July 24, 2016, 02:47:30 am »

Yeah, so I start playing DF after long long time again and sweet Armok almighty how can this game just keep getting better? I nearly fell flat on my arse when I saw my miners climb out of +5z pit, I watched in awe as trees shed their leaves, I could vividly imagine the mountain grass field going full bloom as I saw tiny ♣ pop all over and seeing dwarfs freaking roll around in unison as they dance... I knew this was all in, I read the feature list of every release but DAMN, this game, what the hell mang.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47922 on: July 24, 2016, 05:29:18 am »

We dug deeper and set up a metal industry with our new magma.
Civ screen says we are at war with the elves after just one robbed caravan so its just a matter of waiting.
We'll also become a county in a month or two when the liaison finally leaves the tavern.
Also my best potter went fey and produced a wooden toy axe.
I've never been more disappointed with a mood.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47923 on: July 24, 2016, 05:38:43 am »

We dug deeper and set up a metal industry with our new magma.
Civ screen says we are at war with the elves after just one robbed caravan so its just a matter of waiting.
We'll also become a county in a month or two when the liaison finally leaves the tavern.
Also my best potter went fey and produced a wooden toy axe.
I've never been more disappointed with a mood.

Try having the smith make a platinum toy hammer, with an image of a battleaxe on it in candy...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47924 on: July 24, 2016, 05:48:17 am »

I'm not sure what's more dangerous: My beastmaster, who has tons of exotic war animals, including lions, elephants, giant lions, giant mandrills, gorillas, and giraffe. The legendary axe lord with the mostly artifact outfit, including an artifact battle axe and square shield. Or the vampire sword master who beheaded a bronze colossus in a few strokes of his exceptional steel short sword. They're my only three military dwarves, and each has beaten a 30+ goblin siege and all it's animals on their own.

EDIT: Drowned that fort in lava and moved on once it was starting to get boring, being that strong. New fort, lots and lots of iron here. It intersects with an igneous extrusive layer too, so I have lots of metal for trade goods from above the first cavern layer. Some dogs killed a GCS as it was climbing the stairs, before it ever shot webs. How disappointing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:41:48 am by StagnantSoul »
Pages: 1 ... 3193 3194 [3195] 3196 3197 ... 3842