Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3195 3196 [3197] 3198 3199 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125922 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47940 on: July 25, 2016, 04:21:08 pm »

Decided to put the HFS to the test, since I had a Bronze Colossus and a Hydra in a pair of cages. The hydra didn't take too long for them to beat, and then the Bronze Colossus held his own for a long time, despite being covered in blood and amethyst chips and salt. Then I opened the drawbridges, letting loose 60 cave crocodiles. They cleaned up what was left of the weaker clowns, and then I let loose a constant volley of four ballistae for about ten minutes, cutting down the last of them. No dwarven blood was spilt in the combat against the HFS, though some do keep wandering into the slaughter chamber.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #47941 on: July 25, 2016, 04:44:49 pm »

Decided to put the HFS to the test, since I had a Bronze Colossus and a Hydra in a pair of cages. The hydra didn't take too long for them to beat, and then the Bronze Colossus held his own for a long time, despite being covered in blood and amethyst chips and salt. Then I opened the drawbridges, letting loose 60 cave crocodiles. They cleaned up what was left of the weaker clowns, and then I let loose a constant volley of four ballistae for about ten minutes, cutting down the last of them. No dwarven blood was spilt in the combat against the HFS, though some do keep wandering into the slaughter chamber.

What happened to the colossus?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47942 on: July 25, 2016, 05:02:14 pm »

What happened to the colossus?

He lost his legs, then an arm, then his head.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47943 on: July 25, 2016, 05:51:28 pm »

Stagnant... Damn son that is just... Dwarfy, humans might call it "cruel" but I find it hilarious! Bravo!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47944 on: July 25, 2016, 06:08:26 pm »

Aye. you should have dropped in some weapons for the colossus to use, being a [EQUIP] and all that, arena mode shows they scrub up pretty well using them with their natural strength sending things flying. Also hydras can be tamed and bred, so that was kind of a waste of a rare mega-beast.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47945 on: July 25, 2016, 06:45:29 pm »

Stagnant... Damn son that is just... Dwarfy, humans might call it "cruel" but I find it hilarious! Bravo!

Thanks! I didn't even know if it'd work, my wardogs and lions just get shredded whenever I fight the HFS. Even my legendary dwarves fall pretty fast.

Aye. you should have dropped in some weapons for the colossus to use, being a [EQUIP] and all that, arena mode shows they scrub up pretty well using them with their natural strength sending things flying. Also hydras can be tamed and bred, so that was kind of a waste of a rare mega-beast.

Agh, didn't know Bronze Colossi could equip things, or I would've left it one of the iron two handers I bought off the humans for melting. I tried three times to tame the Hydra, it kept going wild, so I decided this was just as good of service. If it had been war trainable I would've worked hard for it, like my roc hatchery in 34.11.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #47946 on: July 25, 2016, 06:47:51 pm »

He wouldn't necessarily get his hands on another one, or even one that was the opposite gender. Besides, I fully believe that taming the HFS is a worthy use for pretty much anything. Especially if you expend the very last megabeasts in the world to do so *whistles nonchalantly*
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47947 on: July 25, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »

so i just breached HFS for the first time with a suicide miner and sealed off the entrance so the clowns couldent get into my fort.
is it normal for your FPS to just die and the game slow down significantly?
i reverted to an earlier save (immediately before i breached hfs) just because i couldent take the lag spewing from beneath
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47948 on: July 25, 2016, 07:39:56 pm »

That's because of clown car pathing.

I once did a test embark where I dug straight to hell, through the edges of a spire. The demons spawned under a different spire that got revealed, my dwarves fished merrily...Bit of time later, group of Steam Banshees that got spawned in the car discovered the hole that I breached from, immediately tanked the FPS and flew to the surface (then killed my dwarves around wagon).

Pathing from large spaces to large spaces is kind of bad altogether. I recall in one succession fort the FPS tanked whenever there was an open path between caverns and hell, even after the car was killed.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47949 on: July 25, 2016, 08:00:56 pm »

Starting new fort in a hostile environment. This time with shallow metals, because the last one had "deep metals" and those were ... well, adamantine. that's it. Dug right on down, and nothing else. Not even tetrahedrite or anything. The name? Ishlumonol: Nutsmountain. That was the random one, I then worked out "The Nuts of Mountains" for the group name after seeing that.
Time to see what happens here. Mostly a terrifying biome, but some untamed wilds too. Should be fun.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #47950 on: July 25, 2016, 08:25:55 pm »

I'm accepting petitions from everyone and the tavern business is booming! Some elf brought this wonderful book along:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd really love to read that one!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47951 on: July 26, 2016, 12:33:38 am »

My human fort fell to ruin, a single FB killed everyone, even the legendary squad... A fire breathing rose gold spider, first he'd web them, then burn them.

Ubrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47952 on: July 26, 2016, 05:30:49 am »

Hammerpalace is coming along nicely.
I've set up most industries, and the pottery industry is churning out bricks that are being used to build the fortress walls.
I had to let in 3 more migrants after the first two waves due to only having 3 males and 12 females. I'm now sitting on 5 males and 13 females.
The smith is keeping himself busy with a massive supply of copper. Most of it is melted down again, but the mastercraft items are sold.
I've been attacked three times so far. The first attack consisted of two goblins which were greeted by my soldiers and relieved of their possessions. The second attack was a single undead goblin and the third attack was an ambush by a lone necromancer that ran as soon as he saw my apple picker. I've had to resort to... undwarven methods of gathering food, as my civ does not have access to plump helmets.
I've also yet to have a single strange mood after 3 1/2 years. I've been sure to give everyone a shot at the anvil in the hope that it may inspire them to craft something useful when they do decide to.
I'm also looking for the aquifer that's supposed to be somewhere on the map. I'd rather not have to get the water I need from the caverns.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:50:21 am by Ubrael »

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47953 on: July 26, 2016, 07:05:12 am »

Praise for The Muffins and Onion:

'The Muffins and Onion is a real literary masterpiece.'

'Flowing prose, delightful poetry. A real treat for the mind.'

'Funnily enough the story makes no mention of either muffins or onions, but still promises readers a beautifully rendered journey.'

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #47954 on: July 26, 2016, 09:36:54 am »

Upon arrival at new outpost named "Workquest" the first seven dwarves met with hot savannah, with brook in south and a little hill in the north-east corner of embark. First industry to start was farming, aided by gathering plants (once or twice to give crops and booze more variety). In few first years our food stockpiles were overflowing, dwarves working on perpetual farming orders with brewing, milling, cooking, plant processing and even beekeeping. Then dwarves got their hands on seeds of cotton, which is now the mainly farmed plant yielding high crop, resulting in huge amounts of thread, cloth and a few legendary clothesmakers. When basics were set up, rich hematite and lignite veins were mined out which made metalsmithing industry kickstart with good supply of material and fuel in next few years. Two fey moods resulted in an amulet with image of dwarf on it, and a reindeer leather dress. Militia was set up from dwarves most proficient in combat - in low number but with high skills and iron armory & weaponry. Due to civ dying the queen was elected from within Workquest's dwarves, so next step was making a royal suite.

Then a medium sized goblin siege attacked the settlement, while losses were big, my low number militia managed to break their siege. After cleaning up the battlefield I ordered a few iron menacing spikes to be forged and then goblin bodies impaled on them atop the hill which holds entrance to fortress. The bodies hanged until they become partial skeletons - it was a moment when I ordered the monument of our victory to be disassembled and spikes used in preparing fortress for another siege, bodies left to rot completely in an outside stockpile.

Over a dozen of years later "Workquest" still holds strong. Still there were some petty annoyance as the same kobold thief showed for years, escaping our militia. This time however they managed to get him just in time. One annoyance less. As stocks of raw lignite and hematite became lower, I ordered more to be dug out then started dig down to caverns. Exploratory mining shown that the fortress bears also rich veins of tetrahedrite, native gold and galena. A huge multi z-level candy vein was also discovered many z-levels above warm stone. There is still a lot of candy to mine out, but our stocks already show almost 700 Urists of raw resource. The military have been strenghtened, additionally two mercenaries joined our military forces. Soon they'll receive candy armor and weaponry, which combined with their skills should give us victory in another siege.
Pages: 1 ... 3195 3196 [3197] 3198 3199 ... 3842