Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3194 3195 [3196] 3197 3198 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126039 times)

Ubrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47925 on: July 24, 2016, 07:02:29 am »

I decided to retire Diveworked for the time being to try a new embark in a small world with only 40 years of history.
Embarked on a volcano, and I paid no attention to the biome itself apart from it the resources and neighbors. Shacked up in range of every civilization and a necromancer tower. I'll be running this fortress fairly organically by not taking in any migrants after the first waves.

Shorast Idenhavast, the expedition leader decided to embark on the top of the volcano, declaring it to be a terrific spot to build his new fortress, naming it Hammerpalace. As soon as the dwarves started mining into the side of the volcano Armok himself decided to bless the newly founded fortress, showering it with the blood of the filthy tree-huggers.

This will either be short-lived !FUN! or more long-term fun I think.

One dwarf had the gall to suggest the the elf-blood rain may not be a blessing, but rather the works of evil.
Shortly after his pickaxe was found on the edge of the volcano, with no sign of him. Tales of Armok's mercy are spreading rapidly, granting a blasphemer such a worthy death would be unthinkable for many a dwarf.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:30:50 am by Ubrael »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47926 on: July 24, 2016, 07:26:49 am »

Man how I love porcelain... My legendary potter has allowed me to buy out eight caravans in a row with only half of what he makes each seasion, and still send 20k urist worth offerings with every caravan. I haven't even touched metal or stone crafting yet. Still tons of kaolinite to go.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47927 on: July 24, 2016, 07:36:42 am »

...A vampire just ate one of my legendary masons... Luckily I've had three fey mood masons and one just train himself to that status... If he touches my potter, I will find him and... Well, put him in a cage of stone and let him sit their forever, making this fort immortal.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47928 on: July 24, 2016, 11:39:24 am »

Mansionvipers has no elven neighbors, nor a tower, so I fully expect a surprise undead invasion or something.  The seven founders are working hard at the fort's defenses, sleeping in 1-tile bedrooms because nothing better has been made yet, and drinking rum straight from the barrels.  The tiny bedrooms do have some advantages, though, and the fort has already been blessed with eight children in its two-year existence.

Although the fort crosses biomes (yay!) it has no sand (boo!) and so most of the constructions are being made of earthenware bricks.  The volcano's crater has been floored over to keep the magma crabs in, and the ceiling of the recessed pasture is in the process of construction.  The river is packed with carp, and giant flies harass the sheep.  Both the human and dwarven caravans will bring sand, so clear glass coffins are still possible, but being able to blithely make everything of glass is not possible here.  The wide variety of booze that can be brewed should make up for that.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47929 on: July 24, 2016, 12:38:06 pm »

I think I may have embarked smack-dab in unfamiliar territory. Seriously, nothing has arrived yet.

Also trying to build a 6 story rhyolite tower. This will serve as a noble's quarters/ diversion for invading forces. Unfortunately, building a staircase is a bit awkward, and it involves a large wooden staircase outside. If time permits, will work on a minecart elevator system.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47930 on: July 24, 2016, 03:57:37 pm »

So it turns out my paranoia was valid.  I have 18 citizens.  A vile force of darkness arrived anyway, and Mansionvipers is currently under siege.  They brought a goblin snatcher with them, literally the first I've ever seen.

Two of my citizens were outside the gate.  I painted an emergency burrow and called them inside, and ordered the gate closed.  The snatcher got inside the gate before it shut.

Outside the gate, 11 goblin crossbowmen and bowmen killed four dogs and two cats, while inside the kiln room two dogs and the snatcher's intended victim bit and beat the snatcher to death.  The kiddo suffered a serious cut to his leg.  By the time I created a hospital, however, the cut had already healed into a dent.  Good thing, really.  I have no soap and no well.

The pasture is covered, however, so the livestock are not in danger, and with the snatcher dead everyone is safe.  We have plenty of food and booze and the means to grow more, so I think we'll be fine.  First order of business when the goblins go away: a well and a hospital.

eta: After bopping around for a month and attacking some of the carp, the goblins left.  A well and a hospital are HIGH priorities now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:36:35 pm by Daris »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47931 on: July 24, 2016, 04:59:48 pm »

Just watched a Giant Cave Spider walk off the borders of the map, through the surface... Rock on Shelob, rock on...

Also got an ambush from the goblins, who were ripped apart by some giant dingoes upon entering the map. They spawned just beside them.

We have sadly ran out of kaolinite, but I've got my potter pumping out earthenware anyway.

I've set up ten furnaces underground as well as the above ground one, making iron mostly, and one melting down all the silver, gold, and platinum we have run across. Going to get three forges going and get my military ready for the follow up from the goblins.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47932 on: July 24, 2016, 06:17:08 pm »

Did Shelob have a name? If so, what does the legends entry say?

And will you now get GCS spawning on the surface, I wonder? I'm not sure how to check for that, to be honest....

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47933 on: July 24, 2016, 06:18:22 pm »

Did Shelob have a name? If so, what does the legends entry say?

And will you now get GCS spawning on the surface, I wonder? I'm not sure how to check for that, to be honest....

Sadly, no, I would've loved to follow her adventures around the overworld. Likely she'll just die to a kea.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47934 on: July 24, 2016, 10:22:09 pm »

Started a fort playing as humans, it was going pretty well, until I tried to get my metal industry going... Who's idea was it to not give them coke? I now have to have five wood burners constantly going just to keep up with my smiths...

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47935 on: July 24, 2016, 11:11:40 pm »

My pick wielding militia finally got something to fight! :D
It was devastating. Every single attack was tearing off limbs. Skullmine was a good choice of name.
Sadly a lucky scimitar shot made my commander drop his pick and thereafter he got thrashed. In the two sieges so far his is the only death directly caused by combat. The other two was marksdwarves dodging into pools/river and drowning.  ::)
Our brave commander received a gold sarcophagus for his sacrifice.

In shittier news Keas are the bane of my existence. I've lost two dwarves so far to dehydration. One of them on top of a 1z wall just outside the entrance. Don't even get me started on the cancellation spam.

I'm also struggling to find the flux I know exists somewhere on this map.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47936 on: July 25, 2016, 01:12:22 am »

I'm also struggling to find the flux I know exists somewhere on this map.

Just keep a note of the biome its likely to be in (with 1 square on embark relating to a area if you use F1/F2 to view biomes), else dig down and try to identify a layer (sedimentary etc) this wiki with a outline of the rocks in layers and general behaviour of layers (if you're not a geography buff) should help you DFWIKI - Stone layers

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47937 on: July 25, 2016, 09:15:35 am »

The Crescent Moon Tavern is now open for business-

The crescent is made from pure silver, and the room itself from marble. When I got the name of the fortress, MoonBastions from the randomizer, I knew I had to build something like this to match the name.

Right below, is the temple and the housing for tavern guests:

Brass furniture and 3x3 rooms with four luxury suites in the corners

Of course, the real luxury is above-

The Mayoral quarters hang above the hall, furnished in gold and hematite. The windows and the floor itself is of clear glass, and the walls of rose gold and marble.
But my dwarfs live in similar luxury, no dirt and squalor for them, oh no-

Phew, building this took a while. These are the bedrooms of my fortress, MoonBastions. Rose gold, actual gold, hematite for the doors and clear glass windows and even floors. I am pleased as a peach, and the dwarfs are bloody ecstatic.

I am super fond of fancy fortresses overflowing with wealth, and for me, that is the true dwaven way.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47938 on: July 25, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »

That was quite the project Vikram...  :o

Anyway: Stumbled upon some epic battle in the first cavern layer finally, took me a few years to get around to digging down, never needed too. Finally dug down and lo and behold a troglodyte and reptile army marched into the caves years ago (killed my FPS for a while, figured SOMETHING was happening down there...) and the two armies went to hell on each other. Nothing but blood and gore down there. Oh well, clean up time.

Oh and my legendary potter died, he stalked me through some six-seven forts, crippled, could never walk from being in the militia. Well, he died in the library and his death caused a random cat on the other side of the fortress to explode. Whoopee!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:23:20 pm by vekar »

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47939 on: July 25, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »

Now THAT is an opulent tavern. Fit for true dwarven civilisation!
Pages: 1 ... 3194 3195 [3196] 3197 3198 ... 3842