Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3147 3148 [3149] 3150 3151 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129811 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47220 on: April 21, 2016, 01:43:42 pm »

Okay, this is officially the dumbest megabeast attack I've ever seen.

A chimera showed up and picked a fight with some gray langurs. It got bitten in the paw and went unconscious while the langur bled to death from a torn heart.

Then it fought another langur which bit it in the eye, knocking it unconscious immediately, and subsequently also bled to death. This allowed two of my squad members to close in and kill the chimera.

I am seriously disappointed.

EDIT: So, things were going pretty smoothly, an engraver made this.
And a jeweler made this

Then, I didn't even realize that I made my n'raqi dig through something wonderful that was conveniently hidden in the walls of my metal stockpile, which I was trying to enlarge.
Spoiler: Heh heh heh (click to show/hide)
My new opponents sure are...interesting.
Spoiler: ENEMY ROLL CALL (click to show/hide)
Wondering if this is gonna ultimately end up anti-climactic since most of them appear to be composed of materials like fire or steam that should logically fall off after a single hit - still, rarely does it happen that eldritch servants of elder deities fight versus the legions of Hell. Also luckily one of my migrants was a starspawn who I immediately drafted into the military. Looks like things are gonna get interesting.

EDIT 2: THE SURFACE IS FUCKING BURNING
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2760-athellsgate

EDIT 3: Well, I decided to abandon the fort since I had 4 people left and they wouldn't go outside to the surface even when ordered to, no idea why. Everyone else was dead - some caravans also tried coming in - humans, orcs and draconians, and promptly got burned to death by the demons.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:03:11 pm by ZM5 »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #47221 on: April 21, 2016, 09:55:27 pm »

...Welp.  If the neighbors weren't aware of Project Superbowl II yet, that right here must've tipped them off!   :o

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47222 on: April 22, 2016, 06:57:24 am »

Project Superbowl II

This has so much potential.
  • Dorfs shattering goblin skulls and tearing through the brain have an ethic modded in to get them punished for unnecessary roughness
  • Specially hired citizens with maximum musicality attribute to compose super-catchy jingles via -dog bone piccolo- for every year
  • Performances by captured monsters, forgotten beasts, elves and clowns during halftime, each incorporating their special abilities
  • One clown is composed of solid magma in the shape of a shark and then forgets his routine, improvising a dance into the !!booze stockpile!!
  • Exorbitantly expensive <<Superbowl-branded barrels>> to drink from (because STILL nobody's figured out how to use a mug yet).
Keep us posted ;)
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47223 on: April 22, 2016, 08:49:32 am »

Operation: Repopulate is progressing slowly, but surely. Several of the previous generation's children matured into adults, so I now have 3 breeding pairs, and the fortress population is up to 24. Unfortunately, the formation of any additional pairs is unlikely, as most of the remaining dwarves are either widowed, age-incompatible, not straight or not interested in romance. I am trying with one more pair, but as one of them "does not easily fall in love" and the other "finds romance distasteful", I'm not holding out much hope.

I had all the kids who grew up as peasants try their hand at armor/weaponsmithing, hoping to have one of them get an useful mood. No luck so far, instead a miner got possessed and created an artifact millstone.

EDIT: Well, seems like I'm in luck today - the romance-averse couple finally married, and I now have both a legendary armorsmith and weaponsmith (as well as a very nice iron breastplate and warhammer).

EDIT2: Tragedy struck just as things were finally starting to look good. One of the breeding females, along with her baby, got into the caverns somehow and is now being chased by a forgotten beast. How she managed that is a mystery to me - the only entrance has been sealed for more than a decade now. My only guess is that she fell into the well somehow? But it makes little sense. As far as I'm aware, dwarves only fall into wells when they dodge into them during a fight, and there is no record of her fighting recently, nor any reason why a fight should have occured at the well. Regardless of the reason, she and her baby are now almost certainly going to die.

EDIT3: Annnnd yep, even though I unlocked the hatch leading into the caverns, she couldn't make it in before she got caught. At least she died satisfied:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've had the well sealed off for now. No real need for it anyway, we have enough booze to last for years.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:50:40 am by Elanorea »

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
« Reply #47224 on: April 22, 2016, 04:41:52 pm »

All of my dwarves became WereRabbits or WereRabbit food just as my first winter began for my fort, which led to !!fun!! when a migrant wave showed up right as a full moon hit.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #47225 on: April 22, 2016, 06:46:09 pm »

Anyways, I decided to end my old fortress. Turns out that giving every dwarf a single profession (and related ones, such as growing AND plant gathering) wasn't too great.
Wait, what was wrong with that? Too many idlers?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47226 on: April 22, 2016, 07:16:37 pm »

Anyways, I decided to end my old fortress. Turns out that giving every dwarf a single profession (and related ones, such as growing AND plant gathering) wasn't too great.
Wait, what was wrong with that? Too many idlers?

I do this exclusively.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47227 on: April 22, 2016, 09:20:41 pm »

In my view that can only mean lots of work for the megaprojects! Though I do tend to have my dwarves be multi-talented, it would save a lot of hassle and free up lots of room for the military dwarves to do their thing.

I should actually do that for my current fort...

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47228 on: April 22, 2016, 11:16:48 pm »

A bajillions giant monitor lizards just hatched. It was such a bad idea to breed them. 4 females with roughly 15-25 eggs a pop. There are so many. And they laid more. Meanwhile that giant eagle laid one egg. Thanks. 

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47229 on: April 23, 2016, 01:23:49 am »

Cryoshakespeare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47230 on: April 23, 2016, 05:37:00 am »

As quite a newbie, I'm having to deal with my hunter chasing his mark (a giant boar sow) straight into the fort, where he proceeds to fail at killing it with his wooden crossbow bolts, leaving blood, vomit, and teeth splattered all over the inside of the fortress.

The way these dwarves can stand beside an unconscious foe and just loose bolt after bolt from point-blank into them makes me severely question their sanity and what I'm dealing with.

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47231 on: April 23, 2016, 06:00:33 am »

As quite a newbie, I'm having to deal with my hunter chasing his mark (a giant boar sow) straight into the fort, where he proceeds to fail at killing it with his wooden crossbow bolts, leaving blood, vomit, and teeth splattered all over the inside of the fortress.

The way these dwarves can stand beside an unconscious foe and just loose bolt after bolt from point-blank into them makes me severely question their sanity and what I'm dealing with.

Worry not, if all goes well they'll run out of bolts and whack it to death with the bow.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47232 on: April 23, 2016, 08:19:55 am »

My mercenaries are even more insane than marksdwarves. Dwarven crossbowmen generally bash the fallen, unconscious foe, or shoot from afar. My merc-crossbowmen instead go to him, stand on the same tile as if preparing to bash, and then start shooting. They don't shoot on the move. Since the mode of attack is different, I begin to suspect that mercs use AI of hunters, not marksdwarves.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #47233 on: April 23, 2016, 09:03:03 am »

I can't seem to ever drain my volcano quickly enough.

I dug channels all along the western and eastern sides, and the only reward I got out of it was that my reservoir is overflowing and my entrance is blocked by magma.

So I went deeper, down to the first cavern layer, and made even more pipes to funnel the magma through and drain it off the map's edge through fortifications.  The first pipe crack made the magma SHOOT towards the map edge at breakneck speed.  Then the next cracks made it just flow all nice and slow and easy...

Still no go.

The volcano is refilling itself at an alarming rate.  Magma blobs spawn every few ticks or so, and I haven't been able to ever get its surface to fall anywhere more than 2 Z-levels beneath its initial condition.

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47234 on: April 23, 2016, 09:38:55 am »

I let the dwarf fortress ai (https://github.com/BenLubar/df-ai) run overnight. The results were interesting... Here's what happened: http://imgur.com/a/V9ApY.
Pages: 1 ... 3147 3148 [3149] 3150 3151 ... 3842