Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3149 3150 [3151] 3152 3153 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129374 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47250 on: April 24, 2016, 12:07:48 pm »

That seems like a stupid rule if it's keeping you from having fun.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47251 on: April 24, 2016, 12:54:42 pm »

Or if it keeps you from having Fun. The fun kinda Fun at least. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47252 on: April 24, 2016, 04:28:21 pm »

Cat has adopted a mercenary. Since he is assigned to one of danger rooms, I will soon learn how mercenaries deal with a loss of a pet.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47253 on: April 24, 2016, 04:45:38 pm »

Tried out some devices to count clock pulses: i want to install another precise clock in one of my forts, and didn't want to trot out the old designs. I was especially not interested in designs that require massive numbers of mechanisms, let alone many mechanism-operated buildings. One door/hatch operated by the "clock pulse" should be enough. It's entirely possible to build a count-to-four circuit with a single door.

Since i'll need to count at least to seven on a single circuit (counting days in a week), i fiddled with other options. Took a while to get 'em right, since carts tend to overspeed, but my sample circuits that count to six and seven respectively have been working accurately for a few hundred pulses so far:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2761-countingcircuits

Spoiler: concepts (click to show/hide)

In other news, my freshly-appointed scholar was euphoric after pondering disease...

There also seems to be a bit of an issue with the local weaponsmith: at "skilled" she still produced no-quality junk over 50% of the time. She has an impressive list of red-labelled (i.e. below par) mental attributes and is distracted/unfocussed due to the boring fortress life. I've no idea whether any of that can be the reason or if quality yields have been balanced to be less bountiful at low skills.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 04:59:28 pm by Larix »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47254 on: April 24, 2016, 05:57:34 pm »

14th of Granite

It has been a a fortnight since we have been driven from our homeland in the Armored Republic. Between those madmen to the north and those savages to the south, we had not a chance in besting them through skill at arms, and the whole of the nation being driven into isolated military forts with inadequate wells and space for refugees, has spelled our doom. We are of but a handful of those whom I must shamefully admit, absconded with a wagon-load of supply and weapons, though sadly we are without firearms. During the chaos of a storming of the walls, after the enemy forced open the gates, our group smashed through the lines on the wagon, allowing more to escape.

Our act of cowardice in the face of the Republic's enemies is unforgivable, but our escape means that the Republic may yet live on through us. We have chosen for ourselves a symbol of hope: A mountain surrounded by diamonds. They symbolize the hardness of us who will make our stand hereupon this lake, and the mountain the Republic's enduring legacy.

I know the savages watch us still. May I repent for my cowardice, and these foes know death on the shores of Savagelake.

Thomas Uhrig, Founding of Savagelake

---

Started fiddling around with the Frontier Fortress mod. Added a Savage civ (evil cannibalistic tribes) as a counter to the Natives (regular ol' native americans.) Lucked out and the cultists and savages are my only non-friendly neighbour. Can't wait to see how horrific melee combat will be in an armorless world.

Already built a bridge over the local river, lumbered a bunch of trees, and trained a six-pack of attack mutts.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47255 on: April 24, 2016, 09:59:14 pm »

Despite the lack of metallic ores found in the mountain (read: none), the Radiant Hall of Business has a thriving agriculture and clothesmaking industry and is branching into glassworks. Now over 120 dwarfs and human mercenaries call it home going into its forth year, and we have been able to avoid a siege so far as we go into this new year as a barony of the crown.  That siege is probably still coming, though, and will likely strike soon. Fortunate favours the industrious folk of the Radiant Hall of Business, though, for our initial defenses are already in place. Made of study gabbro blocks and guarded by a well trained and disciplined militia, we will hold fast against anything that comes our way and will see continued prosperity.

...Unless it's a web-spitting Titan. Then all bets are off.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47256 on: April 24, 2016, 10:33:57 pm »

Despite the lack of metallic ores found in the mountain (read: none), the Radiant Hall of Business has a thriving agriculture and clothesmaking industry and is branching into glassworks. Now over 120 dwarfs and human mercenaries call it home going into its forth year, and we have been able to avoid a siege so far as we go into this new year as a barony of the crown.  That siege is probably still coming, though, and will likely strike soon. Fortunate favours the industrious folk of the Radiant Hall of Business, though, for our initial defenses are already in place. Made of study gabbro blocks and guarded by a well trained and disciplined militia, we will hold fast against anything that comes our way and will see continued prosperity.

You're making me want to just do a very trade reliant fort... Time to hit the ol raws for a winter caravan...

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47257 on: April 24, 2016, 11:26:49 pm »

Dwarf mating issues.

We're a generational fortress now, after a liaison got turned to an evil murk husk and killed in 607. According to legends, they blamed us. It's 626 and we have yet to see a caravan or migrant again.

Anyway, two fortressborn have been locked in the honeymoon chamber for well over a year now, socializing non-stop. All others of their generation were let out long ago after finding lovers, but not so Onul and Goden. They're approaching legendary speaker for talking to each other, naked and on top of each other I might add, yet aren't even PASSING ACQUAINTANCES. What the hell have you guys been talking about? You even made friends with the others.

Well, they have food for five more years. Damn it all, you will at least acknowledge each other's existence if nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:28:32 pm by Trollhammaren »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47258 on: April 25, 2016, 12:02:02 am »

Well, I did get an invasion after all, though it was a simple one. A Hydra showed up.

I now have 247 Hydra meat just from its body, to say nothing of some of the tail meat and all the other prepared bits!

*Edit* And the weaponsmith just had a mood and made me an artifact short sword...out of silver. Useful? Anyone know whether or not this is going to be an effective weapon or should it just become a decorative weapon trap for my baron?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:53:06 am by Urist McShire »

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47259 on: April 25, 2016, 03:40:35 am »

Silver isn't too bad against unarmored foe from my experience in adventure mode. It'll probably have trouble getting through tough armor though.

Overall, not that great. Why not assign your Baron to his own military squad and assign it as his weapon? Then he can strut about feeling all proud, although this won't add to any value.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47260 on: April 25, 2016, 08:30:24 am »

Figurines of Risas, a goddess of lust and charity, are mass-produced.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47261 on: April 25, 2016, 12:19:08 pm »

Figurines of Risas, a goddess of lust and charity, are mass-produced.

Yes, give freely and eagerly to the elves? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47262 on: April 25, 2016, 12:32:17 pm »

Speaking of elves, the tree-huggers skipped out on sending a caravan and instead delivered a diplomat, warning those of The Radiant Hall of Business of their displeasure in the number of trees we've cut down. Well sorry, elves, but without a source of coal and until we mine down to the magma your precious trees will have to serve as the fuel for our forges. We have business top conduct!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47263 on: April 25, 2016, 02:53:40 pm »

No caravan? Odd, I though the diplomat was supposed to arrive with the caravan, same as with dwarves and humans.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47264 on: April 25, 2016, 09:59:35 pm »

-sits back with popcorn-
Pages: 1 ... 3149 3150 [3151] 3152 3153 ... 3842