Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3145 3146 [3147] 3148 3149 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121410 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47190 on: April 17, 2016, 07:19:33 pm »

God, I hate crundles with a passion just because there's always so many of them. Gets real annoying real fast when job cancellations with "Interrupted by Crundle" keep popping up.
One of the reason I seal the caverns...even if you kill them, there are too many corpses.
That too, but my main reason is that they often start running away immediately, which not only distracts dwarves from labors but also potentially forces the dwarves to chase them down to the caverns, often encountering beasts that are actually dangerous.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #47191 on: April 17, 2016, 07:22:07 pm »

Made an album detailing the first siege of my most recent fort:

https://imgur.com/gallery/en4dE/new
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47192 on: April 17, 2016, 07:27:40 pm »

maybe she's undead...
She died shortly after I posted the picture.
Human only live 120 years, but most of them died around 80.

That too, but my main reason is that they often start running away immediately, which not only distracts dwarves from labors but also potentially forces the dwarves to chase them down to the caverns, often encountering beasts that are actually dangerous.
And they are good climbers. I had a garbage dumping site above a magma pool, but the dwarves saw the crundles climbing the cliff near the site and got interrupted. But after I sent the marksdwarves to deal with them, they became hostile and all the workers began jumping down to fight them...in the magma pool.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47193 on: April 18, 2016, 08:26:21 pm »

Just starting a new embark for my first fort since .40. Already can see tetrahedrite in the cliff walls. Should be a pretty good start. Well, it should be good if I can reconcile in my head what the inclusion of taverns, temples, and libraries does to my fortress planning.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:29:57 pm by Urist McShire »

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47194 on: April 19, 2016, 01:48:18 am »

They mayor, who is rumoured to be a vampire after he wrote up a report revealing that two witnesses accused him of sucking blood out of a child, has been tricked into pulling a lever down the end of a long, twisty corridor. The lever was linked to a bridge trapping him in there, and we are waiting to see if he gets hungry.

We could do this the human way and dump him in the reservoir to see if he drowns, but no-one is quite sure how to do that.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47195 on: April 19, 2016, 06:58:06 am »

And they are good climbers. I had a garbage dumping site above a magma pool, but the dwarves saw the crundles climbing the cliff near the site and got interrupted. But after I sent the marksdwarves to deal with them, they became hostile and all the workers began jumping down to fight them...in the magma pool.
Haha, I've actually come across something similar though thankfully above a lake rather than a magma pool. My citizens got stuck in trees and I was able to get them down, so it could have turned out a lot worse.

Patrycius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47196 on: April 19, 2016, 09:42:06 am »

Hey everyone!

This is my first post in this forum, as I'm still pretty new to this game, but I absoluty, definitely fell in love to Dwarf Fortress!!!   :D :D :D
It took me several attempts to get into this game, but on the other hand I'm still playing my very first Fortress. I was very lucky, got my Fort into its third year, managed to create a functioning workflow. Enough booze and enough to eat, everybody has his/her own room and bed, built a big dinning hall with smoothed walls, everybody has at least been content so far. I dig a cistern connected to my river below the surface, built a well. With a total nummer of 78 dwarves there haven't been any casualies yet (it will happen sooner or later, no doubt), i also haven't yet encountered any goblin ambushes. My military dwarves keep practising, also my hospital is built and equipped.

This spring now, i got the announcement that some migrants had arrived. But those unlucky fools! They had taken the wrong way and entered my map from an edge where they had no accessible path to my Fortress due to the deep flowing river on my map. And worse, on this little area cut off from the rest of the map a pack of 4 wolves was straying around. Fortunately, they had kept distance to the first migrant who had entered the map und instantly halted. So I activated my squads and sent them to my river's shore. The construction of a narrow bridge across the river was ordered. When they approached in reach, my marksdwarves opened fire on the wolves, killing 3 of 4. The fourth left the map wounded. Meanwhile, rock blocks had been hauled to the shore, and the construction of the bridge had begun. A great horned owl flew into my squad and was struck down too. Finaly, finaly the bridge was built, the migrants moved on and crossed the river, while my squads secured the area. On the other side of the river was a mess of blood, broken as well as intact bolts and three wolf carcases. While the migrants in a total number of 29 (!) entered my Fortress, my haulers swarmed out to recover the bolts as well as the dead animals. Again no losses. My population is raised to 107! A glorious day in the History of Larimoltar!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:54:34 pm by Patrycius »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47197 on: April 19, 2016, 09:46:05 am »

Congratulations on rescuing your migrants, and congratulations on getting your first fort into its third year without any deaths or real problems, especially with constructing that cistern from the river. Those can be tricky sometimes.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47198 on: April 19, 2016, 11:24:39 am »

They mayor, who is rumoured to be a vampire after he wrote up a report revealing that two witnesses accused him of sucking blood out of a child, has been tricked into pulling a lever down the end of a long, twisty corridor. The lever was linked to a bridge trapping him in there, and we are waiting to see if he gets hungry.

We could do this the human way and dump him in the reservoir to see if he drowns, but no-one is quite sure how to do that.

Do the lever trick, but have the space above him be a retractable bridge that links to a water supply prepared for that purpose. For good measure, have some walls in the drowning chamber be floodgates that can be used to drain off the water in case he turns out to not be a vampire.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47199 on: April 19, 2016, 02:00:25 pm »

I've been constructing forts quite long now but finally ended up trying latest 42. version (yay for the DFhack support) where the next super-duper update isn't coming tomorrow or next week (agh the wait for DFHack support). I wasn't familiar with visitors, temples, taverns and performances and oh boy it is refreshing to learn something new.

DFhack promised flux stone, but all I see is obsidian, which according to wiki is a "flux-killer layer". Iron gear it is then, fight for that steel you beards!

Tavern is just a few tables and chairs but attracted a huge mob of artists from nearby human villages, looking for job. Wereapes and zombies are second group of visitors. One human warrior cut down nine zombies, so hired him immediately. Gotta love that zombie nerf, though.

It seems dwarves can't equip human mercenaries, a shame. It'll be a tedious job to give my merc-archers (merchers) full gear. Perhaps... I even have trade with elves and see if they sell bows. At least visiting soldiers, consumed by besieging zombies, drop ok-ish loot.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47200 on: April 19, 2016, 02:41:45 pm »

It seems dwarves can't equip human mercenaries, a shame. It'll be a tedious job to give my merc-archers (merchers) full gear. Perhaps... I even have trade with elves and see if they sell bows. At least visiting soldiers, consumed by besieging zombies, drop ok-ish loot.

You can manufacture human sized armour, but not un-dwarven weapons and ammo. So better switch the mercs to something suitable, like crossbows. Or buy arrows from humans and elves, they sell lots of it. Maybe not enough for a whole squad, but for one or two soldiers it should suffice.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47201 on: April 19, 2016, 10:18:41 pm »

Wait, we can hire and recruit mercenaries now? I knew about the visitors and sometimes they'd request, like, a residence pass or something, but I didn't know we could hire them on!

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #47202 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:44 pm »

Had to back up in time because my first attempt at emptying a volcano resulted in a complete FPS freeze.

Second attempt fared... marginally better.  My strategy was going to be a few hand-operated screw pumps, and when the Z-level emptied out, I'd quickly dig down and build another set of pumps, and so on until the desired level.

Well, looks like lava can go backwards.

Now the upper level of my fortress is flooded in magma.  I wish I was fucking kidding.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47203 on: April 19, 2016, 11:34:59 pm »

Wait, we can hire and recruit mercenaries now? I knew about the visitors and sometimes they'd request, like, a residence pass or something, but I didn't know we could hire them on!

Mercenaries will petition for long-term residency specifically to join the militia, and can't/won't do other labors to my knowledge besides help with harvests maybe. Same with performers, who won't enlist with the militia but to my knowledge will stick to the job they took/use whatever other skills they have when applicable - I think I had a few who were fish cleaners, carpenters, and such along with their career as performers, and sometimes they'd take a relevant job instead of one of the dwarves. Might've hallucinated it.

If they stay long enough, some may opt to become full-fledged citizenry, giving all the usual command and control associated. Said citizenship petitions are probably the result of too much fungus beer, but hey. Soldiers who can actually wield that one masterwork iron great sword a goblin captain dropped or a caravan happened to have are nice (yes, caravans do sometimes bring masterwork items, just very rarely.)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47204 on: April 19, 2016, 11:38:35 pm »

If they stay long enough, some may opt to become full-fledged citizenry, giving all the usual command and control associated. Said citizenship petitions are probably the result of too much fungus beer, but hey. Soldiers who can actually wield that one masterwork iron great sword a goblin captain dropped or a caravan happened to have are nice (yes, caravans do sometimes bring masterwork items, just very rarely.)

Though you can squad mercs up and let them use that heavy gear even before they become citizens. It's just that the squad has to be led by a full-fledged citizen for some reason.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3145 3146 [3147] 3148 3149 ... 3842