Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3059 3060 [3061] 3062 3063 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094455 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45900 on: January 31, 2016, 12:16:50 am »

Just a biter, but blood is sucked out vampire-style.
Well, the blood loss was exceptional, even for a lost limb....

If memory serves or i've just got my facts disillusioned, doesn't it additionally also mean that it can sense dwarves outside of visual range? (greater and faster direct distance travelled in beelining towards them instead of slowly navigating?)
The Wiki says
When the creature stabs the opponent, some blood will be drawn. Additionally, its ability to detect any creature with blood will let it "see" dwarves through walls and other solid objects.

Anyhow, things going on in my fort: the prime prospective scholar has recovered and has been made a proper scholar....in fact, the same hold trues for all my prospective scholars. They have been relieved of their labors and are free to discuss medicine, chemistry and engineering. However, something has gone terribly wrong. At this time, the prime scholar believes that the pursuit of knowledge is a waste of effort. I know he didn't always hold that belief. What changed him? How do I change him back? I wish I knew.

While digging out preparations for the more convenient greenhouse, there were a few collapses that killed......oh.......11 dwarfs. This wouldn't be so inconvenient if A) I was still getting migrants and B) my dwarfs were popping out babies like the babymaking machines I know them to be. Once again I must thank my Cook/Armorsmith (and her husband to some extent) for being one of the most useful dwarfs in the fort, this time by producing offspring.

Also, I remembered that amaranths are a thing. I'll be doing 3 farms in my green house, for a total of 300 needed glass glass blocks. You know what, I think I'll settle for a clear glass ceiling.

With my scholars scholaring, it's hard to get anything built. But if you must know, the assembly of perfect instruments is going splendidly.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45901 on: January 31, 2016, 02:32:59 am »

yep, I got a king too.

Also in replaying the same siege over and over I've come to the conclusion that not goblins but water is the Dwarf's natural enemy and they are far too prone to dodge into it and drown hella dead. Ludicrous.

Yeah, for a long time I've seen moats as purely decorative features. They kill more dwarves than goblins and I inevitably get a swimming troll stuck in there who can't be attacked by melee and thus prolongs the siege. I rarely build them, but did this time for aesthetic reasons. I got smart though and built cut-off gates (the moat connects to the ocean) and an emergency drain into the aquifer. I think those have already saved 4-5 dwarves.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45902 on: January 31, 2016, 06:12:54 am »

I was mining a road to connect the magma forges to the surface, and I discovered an underground lake in the worst way possible -by carving a ramp right in the middle of the lake.
Luckily, I had enough time to close the road two z-level below, blocking the water and saving the dorfs. It's cheating as I am using fastdwarf, but still it was a close enough call.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

lordjani

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45903 on: January 31, 2016, 06:39:19 am »

Forgotten beast came from the caverns. It was a gigantic tick with poisonous cloud. I had just found candy but no weapons or armor were ready yet. I was really exited and ordered my militia to make final stand in my trap corridor. The thing bashed through my doors and headed to my main stairwell. Militia was waiting.... Beast appeared from the stairs. My marksdwarves opened fire. First silver bolt hit a rear leg. No damage. Second hit the beast straight to the head and messed it's brain ! I was like wtf.. what happened... Then started laughing....

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45904 on: January 31, 2016, 07:03:02 am »

yep, I got a king too.

Also in replaying the same siege over and over I've come to the conclusion that not goblins but water is the Dwarf's natural enemy and they are far too prone to dodge into it and drown hella dead. Ludicrous.

Yeah, for a long time I've seen moats as purely decorative features. They kill more dwarves than goblins and I inevitably get a swimming troll stuck in there who can't be attacked by melee and thus prolongs the siege. I rarely build them, but did this time for aesthetic reasons. I got smart though and built cut-off gates (the moat connects to the ocean) and an emergency drain into the aquifer. I think those have already saved 4-5 dwarves.
yeah ... this time the siege replay went more or less perfectly without idiocy (beyond what is reasonably expected) ... but I do need to think of some way to make my Dwarfs survive the river.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45905 on: January 31, 2016, 10:17:02 am »

Hardly anyone is digging that new easy-access staircase or building the floors I need. Why is it that no matter how many dwarfs I have, I always feel like I need 50 more just to haul stuff? At least I got through winter without anything but a strange mood happening.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45906 on: January 31, 2016, 12:11:40 pm »

In my Fortress right now I am trying out everything I know that works and new things I wanted to try.  All ramps for example - no stairs.  Also, all citizens are given a customized nicknames such as SF, MF, SM, MM.  In other words, Single Female, Married Female, Single Male, Married Male.  And because of that I found my first gay couple.  Well, I assume I had some in other Fortress but I just never noticed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45907 on: January 31, 2016, 12:17:23 pm »

Can I share with you guys the joy of copper barrels? I'm serious. Forget that pussy wood shit, hit an all-too-damn-common copper mine and crank out 100-300 copper barrels. Best use I've found for copper yet.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45908 on: January 31, 2016, 12:19:56 pm »

@Copper barrels:  I know it's quite common, though I'm definitely going to think on some uses for the metal, besides being my starting military garb.

As for my fort, two crossbow goblins decided to sit on the border, in the name of besieging my fortress.  Maybe I should set up a ballistic weapon for them and make them regret their decision.  On another note, the fortress is getting the library set up, along with separate temples for each deity, and preparing a melee platoon.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45909 on: January 31, 2016, 12:32:20 pm »

Can I share with you guys the joy of copper barrels? I'm serious. Forget that pussy wood shit, hit an all-too-damn-common copper mine and crank out 100-300 copper barrels. Best use I've found for copper yet.
You fool, you could've made large copper pots and gotten the same storage for significantly less weight!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #45910 on: January 31, 2016, 12:34:26 pm »

You fool, you could've made large copper pots and gotten the same storage for significantly less weight!
To be fair, barrels are better for a cheese or soap industry.  On the other hand, I don't think anyone needs 300 barrels of milk or lye. 

Hmmm, on the other other hand, need or want... :3

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45911 on: January 31, 2016, 12:37:18 pm »

To be fair, barrels are better for a cheese or soap industry.
How do you figure? Can milk and lye not be stored in pots?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #45912 on: January 31, 2016, 12:42:34 pm »

To be fair, barrels are better for a cheese or soap industry.
How do you figure? Can milk and lye not be stored in pots?
Apparently not.  I've not tested it for myself (I like barrels stylistically, and I don't pay enough attention when I create individual work orders to which containers are grabbed for what), but wiki lists "milk, lye, or certain extracts" as being incompatible with large pots.  There is also apparently a bug that prevents pots from being used to process sweet pods, but that at least isn't intentional design. 

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45913 on: January 31, 2016, 02:41:46 pm »

The human diplomat and a caravan arrived. The wagons are still trying to weave their way thorugh the forest. The human diplomat unloaded a huge list of historical events (reclamations of sites, refugees fleeing from elven armies, etc.) and then bid me farewell.

EDIT: I wound up bringing the wrong person to trade, and eventually the traders left while barely trading anything. They're stuck now. I think.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Also one of my dwarves became a macelord.

EDIT: The caravan has left. Joy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:05:08 pm by AzyWng »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45914 on: January 31, 2016, 02:48:43 pm »

The elves came by with a caravan, to my surprise. They brought nothing worth trading for, though.

Another day, another forgotten beast. This one, a humanoid made of water and having a poisonous gas, was killed by civilian fists and barely even worth mentioning.

A large staircase is almost complete and people are already using it to get to my magma kilns and magma glass furnaces faster. I wish I understood how to use traffic designations; it might give me back some of my FPS.

Pages: 1 ... 3059 3060 [3061] 3062 3063 ... 3842