Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3061 3062 [3063] 3064 3065 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093701 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45930 on: February 01, 2016, 07:54:54 am »

Performers are a diverse group. Last time I posted, I'd accepted forty-one of the suckers. Some humans, elves, even goblins. Well, now they've hung around for a while, the petitions for full citizenship are beginning to roll in. Finally, I can start conscripting the parasites.

But then the dwarves elected one of them mayor. A goblin dancer who dreams of ruling the world. A driven individual in a constant state of internal rage, who pursues matters with a single-minded focus and does not generally respond to emotional appeals. He personally is greatly disturbed by a quiet and peaceful existence.

What could possibly go wrong?

The obvious answer is to kill all the non-dwarf merchants.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45931 on: February 01, 2016, 08:04:10 am »

Sent the axedwarfs outside to slay giant dingos, and one giant dingo fled into a tree. INTO A TREE!

In my library it's all the rage for the scholars, engineers and doctors alike, to discuss shadow clocks; I find this very odd, since none of the few dwarfs with skill in optics engineering seem to be involved.

Edit: Autumn has come, and so has the caravan. Time to pick up those cats and turkeys I ord-

*SIGH*

The ride never ends.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:38:40 am by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45932 on: February 01, 2016, 10:10:10 am »

Sent the axedwarfs outside to slay giant dingos, and one giant dingo fled into a tree. INTO A TREE!

In my library it's all the rage for the scholars, engineers and doctors alike, to discuss shadow clocks; I find this very odd, since none of the few dwarfs with skill in optics engineering seem to be involved.

Edit: Autumn has come, and so has the caravan. Time to pick up those cats and turkeys I ord-

*SIGH*

The ride never ends.

Looks like a good candidate for the archers. He'll go down quick and poison vapors can be very bad. Most of them aren't, but all it takes is one bad one to kill off a legendary axedwarf or squad after the fighting is all over.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45933 on: February 01, 2016, 10:17:20 am »

Well, I think I will re-start with 42_05.  In 42_04 a Werelizard showed up.  We killed it.  Then one of my Dwarfs became a Werelizard.  We killed it.  This caused a loyal cascade, I think, because the Dwarfs started fighting the squad that kill the second Werelizard.  Then the game crashed.  Which I took from a sign from Armok, or Scamps, that it was all a dream and to re-start with the new version.  All Hail SCAMPS!  Or Armok.

Whatever.  Re-start!  I didn't like the embark sight anyway.   
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45934 on: February 01, 2016, 10:45:06 am »

*SIGH*

The ride never ends.

Looks like a good candidate for the archers.
The what?

He'll go down quick and poison vapors can be very bad. Most of them aren't, but all it takes is one bad one to kill off a legendary axedwarf or squad after the fighting is all over.
Aw, crap, I'm down 2 axedwarfs. Well mister legendary architect who dreams of becoming a legendary warrior, consider yourself relieved of your scholarly duties. I'm gonna make your dream a reality.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45935 on: February 01, 2016, 12:44:12 pm »

Well, I think I will re-start with 42_05.  In 42_04 a Werelizard showed up.  We killed it.  Then one of my Dwarfs became a Werelizard.  We killed it.  This caused a loyal cascade, I think, because the Dwarfs started fighting the squad that kill the second Werelizard.  Then the game crashed.  Which I took from a sign from Armok, or Scamps, that it was all a dream and to re-start with the new version.  All Hail SCAMPS!  Or Armok.

Whatever.  Re-start!  I didn't like the embark sight anyway.   
killing a werecritter, even if also a Dwarf, shouldn't cause a loyalty cascade. At least not if you fight it while in weremode, which it sounds like you did given the squad.

Also - check for bites in the combat log, next time it happens :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

strongwood

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45936 on: February 01, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »

After I managed to trap a fb in my crypts, I decided to collaps the ceiling on him. (my entire military was wiped out of existence by what turned out to be a spider titan(never forget to read the whole description)) oh well, so after my miners start digging they see the amber fb, and doing what miners do start mining it. They manage to kill it with only one of the three miners dead.

Now a few minutes later i find a child playing make-believe in that same crypt right next to the body of the fb. I like to imagine that the child is reenacting the heroic battle of the three miners. (I have to make him a miner when he grows up.) 

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45937 on: February 01, 2016, 01:02:03 pm »

I could scarcely believe my eyes when I saw my axedwarfs having an ARCHERY demonstration of all things. And it wasn't like the 2 new guys were good archers and were showing the the old guys, no. Apparently 2 of my veterans have been Accomplished Archers since forever, and today for the first time (that I've noticed) have decided to have a demonstration of it. At least it appears that the new guys are getting good fast.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45938 on: February 01, 2016, 01:04:07 pm »

huh. I got elfplomat 'offering' me 100 trees. I rarely played this long (lol no choice of mine previous fort, but I'm avenging them on the same world, for the same civ now). I eventually pressed A and he called me a butcher and raised to 115. After my agreeing. Weird.

Also https://imgur.com/LJUPK9L  Hopefully the third notable kill for Obok, my champion.  Obok decides to sleep instead. Perhaps Mosus the speardwarf then. Or the mcom Sakzul. Or imma send them both. Mosus is a wrestler but actually a speardwarf dunno why game fucks with that now. 

edit; Gingimabod has postponed justice by getting herself caged, escaping the war dog she had fought most and simply ignoring my gcs.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:22:07 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45939 on: February 01, 2016, 01:45:57 pm »

Never having played with this before, I decided to try capturing and training some of the cavern fauna.  My goodness, I had no idea how prolific it was!  A few giant olms have spawned triplets after triplets after triplets, and their meat is delicious and plentiful.  They're all exceptionally or masterfully trained -- I wonder how many generations it will take to fully domesticate them?  I also had a brood of sixty cave crocodiles, so I butchered about two thirds and have the rest pastured for eggs.  They're all tame, although I'm still waiting for them to mature and start laying.

Meanwhile, the bedrooms are finally finished: every dwarf has a 3x3 smoothed room, with a masterwork door, bed, chest, and cabinet, all in bright colours in a repeating pattern; and, in anticipation of a monarch, I've finished preparing the royal chambers.  All the furniture is masterwork gold, with a slew of studs and gems, enough that they've each got at least one masterful decoration as well.  I sure hope that 42.06 will be save-compatible when the exported wealth bug is fixed and I can actually get a monarch.

I think my next project with this fort will be properly grooming the surface.  The woods have grown thick and treacherous, and I have built neither roads nor a menacing entrance -- just a hole in the side of the hill.  It is a poor overture to the grand symphony below.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45940 on: February 01, 2016, 02:11:17 pm »

you might get lucky enough to have one of your Dwarfs-already-there inherit/argue for their title as king. Alternatively; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU&

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45941 on: February 01, 2016, 03:54:34 pm »

you might get lucky enough to have one of your Dwarfs-already-there inherit/argue for their title as king. Alternatively; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU&

That was staggeringly fantastic.

Now... it might be a bit of fun.  Or, you might be suggesting that I accept a clown as ruler.  In which case you might be a goblin.  Are you wearing troll fur underwear?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45942 on: February 01, 2016, 05:03:28 pm »

Never having played with this before, I decided to try capturing and training some of the cavern fauna.  My goodness, I had no idea how prolific it was!  A few giant olms have spawned triplets after triplets after triplets, and their meat is delicious and plentiful.  They're all exceptionally or masterfully trained -- I wonder how many generations it will take to fully domesticate them?
You can't fully domesticate creatures that have no child stage.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45943 on: February 01, 2016, 05:16:33 pm »

You can't fully domesticate creatures that have no child stage.

Alas.  Ah well, more practice for the trainer.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45944 on: February 01, 2016, 06:01:59 pm »

I had a goblin siege that outnumbered my dwarves.  I believe there were about 107 of them, compared to 76 dwarves.  So I closed everything up and sniped at them from the walls, slowly whittling them down because my non-marksdwarves don't spar and thus suck (still in 42.04).  About a quarter of the goblins are actually gorlaks, another quarter are leopard men.

Then a Forest Titan appeared.  A flamebreathing bat.  Bats fly.  Walled in area doesn't have a roof.  We managed to kill it, but only after he killed or crippled all my marksdwarves.  Fortunately he flamed one of the goblin companies and the others were spread out and hurt enough that we were able to drive them off with my crappy soldiery.  Lost 4 marksdwarves (2 more hurt/probably going to die since we have no water) and 2 speardwarves. 

That was when I noticed that EVERYONE is thirsty, despite me having 250 units of booze.  I look at a slow moving thirsty guy and notice that he is carrying 6 empty pots, a pot of wine and a pot of rum and is dying of thirst.  So I think it is time to move to the new version where both of the bugs that are trying to kill my fort are fixed.
Pages: 1 ... 3061 3062 [3063] 3064 3065 ... 3842