Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3042 3043 [3044] 3045 3046 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096438 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45645 on: January 19, 2016, 08:23:55 pm »

Plant gathering operations continue. Brewing operations continue. Plant processing operations continue. I need more herbalists. I need more planters. I need more people so I can get all the plants!

I have roughly 2.5k plants and 3k other (probably the prepared food and all the flour and the like).

I'm wondering if the plant gathering designation causes people to pick fruit from trees, or if a plant gathering zone has to be designated first. I hope it does. I don't wanna have to put activity zones everywhere...

Another wave of migrants. I'm starting to actually become interested in the fishing industry and the variety it might add to the diets of my dwarves, so I'm letting fishery workers stay fishery workers.

Aside from that, not a whole lot is going on. I'm trying to get a library set up, as well as getting around to processing all those damn plants I happen to have.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45646 on: January 19, 2016, 09:25:27 pm »

Just moments after assigning my first military squad, and before I had forged some nice weapons for them, I got attacked by some golbins. My dorf immediately grabbed some old bronze weapons that came with embark (I think?) and hacked them to pieces. Out of 10 dorfs, only 1 was kiled, and the injuries of the rest were quickly solved by an impromptu set up hospital.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45647 on: January 19, 2016, 09:27:11 pm »

I just migrated my fort to 42.05, and installed booze, mugs and tavern keepers in my tavern for the first time ever in my 21 year old fort.
Yep, mugs aren't being worn anymore. Bugfix worked there, good job.

And... yep. My goblins lost their kept from alcohol bad thought after being served drinks. They all running around with focused in their wounds screen now.
They also started drunk brawls. One goblin poet got punched to death by an elite marksgoblin within a dwarfweek after letting the booze flow in the tavern. Elite fighters don't play nice when they brawl.
I removed tavern keepers from my taverns again, until justice system for brawling gets fixed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ralkesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45648 on: January 19, 2016, 09:48:40 pm »

Getting back into Dwarf Fortress after waiting for the latest version of the Lazy Newb pack. Started a fortress in a good biome with the intent of getting it to Capital status and designing it around Leonardo da Vinci's Ideal City concept - Canals, Sewer systems, multi level terraces, cleanable streets using screw pumps etc.

Embark is 10x10 tiles, with smaller tiles around it for feeder settlements

References because DF crashes when I try to export local map images :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worked out the basic z levels based on the image above: ground is 0z, flat area on the stairs is 2z (using ramps instead of stairs) and the bridge, upper terrace, balcony level for 0z buildings is 3z.

Based on the materials that I have in the embark/using is Granite (Main material for walls, roads etc), Cobaltite (accent colour where ever its red on the reference), Earthenware brick for roofing/filler, Walnut blocks/furniture for peasants/migrants, Cedar blocks/furniture for craftsdwarves/merchants/etc, Mahogany blocks/furniture for nobles/legendary citizens. Steel for grates, fences and menacing spikes for the dry moat. Everything is to be masterwork anything less is sold to caravans.

Class system and challenges:
Bulk of the city will be made up of migrant animal people split into segregated communes (burrows) for !!science!!

Classes are Guests/Animal people, Peasant/Labourers, Crafts/Merchants, Nobles/Officers.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:27:18 pm by Ralkesh »
A small mouse-like humanoid with a long tail, short silky fur and a twitching nose.  He has a preference for cheese and requires coffee to get through the working day.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45649 on: January 19, 2016, 09:51:46 pm »

I'm wondering if the plant gathering designation causes people to pick fruit from trees, or if a plant gathering zone has to be designated first. I hope it does. I don't wanna have to put activity zones everywhere...

I'm pretty sure it requires a zone > .> I think the same goes for wild berries and the like, but I could be wrong somehow. I did confront this earlier, though, and noted that a plant gathering designation did not select the raspberries growing outside. It is probably the same for trees and other fruits.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45650 on: January 19, 2016, 10:05:57 pm »

I'd love to tell you that I finished casting and that I'm so very close to getting my perfect living quarters built. I really would. But I can't. You see, while fooling around in Excel, I realized that if I wanted each of my temples to my 9 gods to be equally space and have walls, then my great obsidian block would need to either X high or X wide, with X=9Y+10 and Y being any positive integer.

100 is a possible value for X (at Y=10).

The great obsidian block is 99x93.

To make the block 100x93 (believe me, this is easier than making it 99x100), I'm going to have to cast and carve a 87 z-level down the inside of the volcano and a few other things too trivial to be worth mentioning.

But hey, it's not all bad. It just gives me a lot of time to do some other set-up work. For instance, I planned from the very start to move the entirety of my agriculture and its derived industries (except for the greenhouse farms, of course) as well as all associated stockpiles down to the level above the great obsidian block once it was complete, and I can't see any reason I can't do that now. Furthermore, I was also planning to mine out the lower floor and, after consolidating all the obsidian into stockpiles, move my gems down there along with my blue dimple dye, pig tail threads, giant cave spider silk and most expensive leather. I'll then set up more stockpiles so that I can encrust my masterwork gold furniture and build the masterwork pieces of and assemble my masterwork instruments all in the same place.

The human caravan came this summer and I said "fuck it, I'm changing up the military now, if the new guys aren't ready by the time the next goblin siege arrives and is broken, then I'll let the survivors walk away for once". And so I created The Goblinslayers.

Speaking of my elf mayor, she just found time in between mayoring duties to write a book on medical ethics.

She sounds like a wonderful lady.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45651 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:37 pm »

Those bolts are... not on the ground.

This ends only marginally better than the picture portrays.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45652 on: January 19, 2016, 10:38:12 pm »

Does anyone know if a "frilly turban" will fit under a helm? One of my dwarfs made one as an artifact long ago, and I can't find any information on it anywhere.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45653 on: January 19, 2016, 11:11:47 pm »

Does anyone know if a "frilly turban" will fit under a helm? One of my dwarfs made one as an artifact long ago, and I can't find any information on it anywhere.
I'm pretty sure it can be worn with a helm. "Frilly", if I'm remembering correctly, is one of a few modifiers used on garments that angels wear.
Dwarven mercy.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45654 on: January 19, 2016, 11:25:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure it can be worn with a helm. "Frilly", if I'm remembering correctly, is one of a few modifiers used on garments that angels wear.
So what you're saying one of my clothiers produced not just an artifact turban, but an ANGELIC artifact turban? Fukken sweet.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45655 on: January 20, 2016, 03:34:37 am »

The wooden menace has claimed its first victim!

Of my starting seven, I had chosen Ushat Bomrekarzes to lead my fortress to martial victory. Sadly, it was not to be. Shortly after the leaves turned to the gold of autumn, my Battle Maiden expired from dehydration atop a tree. I curse the name of thee, trees! Ere I had even completed her set of bronze equipment, she has risen. Her armor shall go unworn, her axe, unwielded. I would bury her belongings with her, but in truth I have yet to uncover any metal ores. These bronze things spring from the boulders of tin and copper I cleverly thought to bring with me.

I haven't any clear glass or gold for the time being, so a wooden casket must suffice. Until I can make something a bit grander.

Clearly this means I must declare war on the elves.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:47:21 am by Scorch »
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45656 on: January 20, 2016, 05:02:31 am »

I was trying to flood my fortress with lava from the vulcano - it is sadly too high to just dig a hole into the vulcano, so I build some pumps while suffering 7 fps...

And then I realized that there was absolutly no wind on this map.
This is why one of the first thing i do when i start a new fortress is build a windmill.
You could always build a water reactor, or perhaps have dwarves pump it manually.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45657 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:43 am »

Clearly this means I must declare war on the elves.

Pbbbt. That's small time.

Declare war on TREES.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45658 on: January 20, 2016, 12:02:35 pm »

Two forgotten beasts have met and just gone at it. The webber-pterosaur has killed the poison gas-theropod.
Theropod had NO chance did it. Webbing fb's = gnarly.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #45659 on: January 20, 2016, 12:13:25 pm »

Dwarf McTarget has become a Pincushion
Pages: 1 ... 3042 3043 [3044] 3045 3046 ... 3842