Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3040 3041 [3042] 3043 3044 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096464 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45615 on: January 18, 2016, 02:08:51 pm »

Two forgotten beasts have met and just gone at it. The webber-pterosaur has killed the poison gas-theropod.

Shl-nak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45616 on: January 18, 2016, 02:21:58 pm »

Embarked on a volcano by a brook where half the map is a tropical biome full of trees and plants. I made a smaller world with only a few civs to avoid FPS issues. It looks like the Dwarves got almost entirely crushed by year 250, so I think I'll just go for a classic Mountainhomes deal - try to get a legendary militia set up, make plenty of wealth, build some impressive obsidian fortifications around the mountain. Hopefully I can retire it successfully and use it as a base from which to launch future adventurers/forts.

The plentiful resources and easy access to magma and water are b e a u tiful, so I'm currently trying to figure out how best to honour Armok with the bounty. A standard map-flooding chute to deal with goblins would be lovely - I'm thinking a giant obsidian face, styled on my avatar, built into the volcano above the main entrance to my fort with red zircon eyes, whose mouth spews out magma when the goblins or elves arrive. Classic secret villain base stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45617 on: January 18, 2016, 02:28:07 pm »

A siege of goblins turned up. Roughly 14-15 goblins, if I remember correctly.

4 fighters fought them. The first two were quickly surrounded and killed, taking two or three goblins with them while the next two were able to take down all of the other goblins with a few injuries (one of the fighters lost a hand). Yay!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45618 on: January 18, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »

Oh boy, do I have a story for you lot.

I've been pouring water from the cavern lake onto the magma so fast that much of it has been reduced to a depth of 1/7 or 2/7. As a result, some items on the lake bottom have been retrieved for the stockpiles. Mosus Kelshadmal was just a somewhat skilled doctor with no fighting skills. He found those who developed fighting skills distasteful, but nevertheless perhaps he would've brought a weapon down with him when he went to collect jewels from the lake bottom if he had only known he was going to be attacked by a huge, muscular fat female giant olm!

He put up the best fight he could, but for 5 pages of combat he missed again and again and was bitten again and again. Fortunately, giant olms are toothless beasts and he received nothing but bruises and a broken, smashed open toe until it broke his left hand and he passed out from the pain. The giant olm left him alone after that. I eagerly watched both combatants; the giant olm I watched hoping she would hit  the trapline before she ran into anyone else. Mosus I watched hoping he would live to tell this tale. I looked in the various screens for someone coming to bring him to the hospital, but no one did. His survival was entirely up to him. I also watched my magma solidify; I would dare not stop the draining while he was still down there for that would surely end with him drowning. I hoped that he would recover and leave the drained lake before the magma was all solidified.

And the good doctor did! As he came to (and stayed conscious), I looked back at the giant olm and saw she was heading for the trapline and nearly upon it. It all looked like it was going to end perfectly well.....until Mosus caught up to the giant olm and it attacked him again. He dodged it's attacks this time, and punched and scratched its front feet. Unfortunately, he dodged over an open space back into the drained cavern lake. But it was only 1 z-level, and from the bottom of the ramp the doctor kicked the giant olm in the foot and then the neck! The giant olm came down the ramp, only to be dodged and kicked in the foot again! And as I typed up this story, I missed something important but somehow before either opponent could take another swing at the other, the giant olm somehow ended up in a cage trap back above the lake! Victory at last!

Mosus, now and Expert Fighter, safely made his way to the hospital, while his foe was hauled off to the animal stockpile to be trained, bred and inevitably slaughtered. Immediately afterward he reached the hospital. this fort's third artifact mechanism was constructed, and one of my recently grown up children had a positive coming of age moment*. The first layer of obsidian was cast perfectly; the excess water is being drained from the chamber so that it may again be filled with magma. The good doctor has had surgery, had his wounds cleaned, sutured and dressed and got a cast for his hand. He is already out of the hospital, storing things in bins again. A happy ending for all! (Even the giant olm, whom I so mercifully did not order ganked by my speardwarfs when I saw her attacking one of my citizens and instead introduced to several choice mates.)

So, in more boring news, the caravan didn't bring me any yaks but did bring me 2 water buffalo bulls and 1 water buffalo cow among other animals. Upon purchasing them, I used Dwarf Therapist and found that the cow and one of the bulls was asexual....or sterile, whatever it means when the gender symbol has no color to it.

*She had the thought "felt wonder after realizing the nuances of artwork". I strongly suspect this is a sign that her values have changed from disliking artwork to not caring about artwork one way or another during play.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45619 on: January 18, 2016, 05:09:25 pm »

Damn it, one of the tavern guests is snacking on my citizens. How do I find the vampire among the dozens of innocent looking (relatively speaking) mercenaries?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45620 on: January 18, 2016, 05:30:31 pm »

I just had 4 dwarves suddenly inherit baronies, one announcement right after another. boom-boom-boom-boom

Kogsak Mirrorskin, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baron of Earthdistinct.
Eral Ringedroots the New Equivalence of Rims, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baroness of Smithtrust.
blel Tinheats, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baron of Stockadesquash.
Dastot Oiledsouls, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baroness of Wheelnoses

I suspect a big battle was just fought somewhere, with a lot of important dwarves dying.

Now I just wish these new heirs would head for their new possessions instead of sticking around and making me provide luxurious homes for them.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #45621 on: January 18, 2016, 05:39:32 pm »

go find out in my story thread :P

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45622 on: January 18, 2016, 07:48:52 pm »

Ok, now this is weird. I just got this announcement:

Vucar Uniteoiled has been elected to the position of mayor of The Fountain of Balance

But my fort is not called The Fountain of Balance, it's HardyBeards, the Slim Mines. And as far as I can tell, I have no one on the map named Vucar Uniteoiled (or Vucar anything). I checked the 'u' screen and search for Citizens, Other, Dead/Missing, and I even checked the Pets/Livestock in case someone's pet bunny got elected (I have no idea how they run their elections in The Fountain of Balance). I also checked Dwarf Therapist, even going through everyone with a nickname to make sure it wasn't one of them.

I'm very happy for Mr. Uniteoiled, I'm sure he will be a fine mayor of The Fountain of Balance. But I have no idea why his election rated a zoom and pause in my fort.

Oh yeah. that's also a possible clue, when the announcement came up, the map was recentered on the southern edge of my map. Going to announcements and hitting 'z' on that one puts the cursor on the very edge of the map. I wonder if there is a batch of migrants about to arrive at that spot, and Vucar is one of them? Maybe the game still has him listed as being in The Fountain of Balance and picked him in the election, then decided that since he's almost at my fort, he should get the announcement. Dunno. I guess I should resume and see what happens. :)

Edit: Well, I resumed, and suddenly all 5 of my barons are Dukes/Duchesses. And I hadn't even gotten their rooms set up for them being barons. What's going on in this kingdom?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:53:46 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45623 on: January 18, 2016, 07:57:17 pm »

I was getting pretty hyped when I saw my recently matured peasant that I primed for metalsmithing go fey.
Didn't get a single metalsmithing mood yet, could use some nice furniture.

Got more hyped when he grabbed a bar of aluminum.

Sucker made an aluminum barrel :P

Do any of the workshops that use barrels require architecture? Then I can at least get some happy thought from it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can disagree and still love each other, unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #45624 on: January 18, 2016, 07:58:04 pm »

Trading candy to humans to cut a good deal

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #45625 on: January 18, 2016, 07:58:25 pm »

One of my administrators is, basically, a pussy.  He saw a few too many dead gobbos and now he's standing at a steady 29,000 stress, with no amount of waterfalls and food and trinkets to make him forget that he now hates everyone and everything.

So after he was the single cause of beating four dwarves to death last season, I decreeted that he had to go.  I drafted him into a squad, which was ominously named "The Swift Handles".  Motherfucker, you have no idea how true this is gonna ring for you.

Told him to go and stand in this corridor, and wait for further instructions.

For the first time, he got to see the interior of The Vault of The Forgotten.  The place where vampires and were-creatures go to live in boredom-induced sanity for all eternity.

Not him though.  I didn't have the patience to let him starve.

So I just went ahead and dropped a fucking bridge on him.

PROBLEM = OVER.

Oh yeah, and I put his memorial slab outside in some shitty corner nobody's gonna look at.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45626 on: January 18, 2016, 08:28:51 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Silentsigil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45627 on: January 18, 2016, 08:53:51 pm »

I started a fort after years of absence from the game to get quasi-familiar again. (I was never that good at this.)

After a year and a half of nothing interesting happening, a legendary Ettin showed up. I had a military, but I'd apparently not told them to train.

He rampaged across the screen, straight towards my unprotected fort, basically jumping a river.

He proceeded to punch a poor stonemason through a wall.

Instead of vomiting and a depression spiral, which I fully expected, something wonderful happened.

No less than fifteen unarmed farmers,craftsmen and a dwarven child dogpiled this giant two-headed monstrosity and proceeded to punch it in the face until it fell unconscious. Almost the entire fort joined in on the Ettin-bashing by the end.

The killing blow was dealt by the small child. I checked the logs, and this kid chewed through the Ettin's achilles tendon, bruised its liver, and killed it by chewing on its face.

They then stood up after the beast stopped moving, disgusted and disheartened by the horrors the world had shown them at such a tender age. After a moment of reflection, they stood tall and shouted "Fear, begone!" and marched into the dining hall, still covered in blood and gore.

I created this account just to share this awesomeness. The game crashed soon after, so I can't watch this glorious, bloodthirsty champion grow to an old age in such a boring fortress, but I wanted to share the tale.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45628 on: January 18, 2016, 09:49:12 pm »

The child must be named something violence-related and made into a legendary unarmed combatant.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45629 on: January 18, 2016, 10:00:00 pm »

Okay, so I forget a feeeeeeeeew magma-safety mechanisms, but don't worry everyone, this obsidian is still going to be cast, and soon!

It's winter now; I'm expecting goblins in the spring. I have 10 masterwork steel battleaxes and enough masterwork steel armor to completely outfit 10 soldiers. This siege will be the last one where my 3 veterans will slaughter the remnants of the broken siege mere spears. Then they will cast aside their copper weapons and pick up new steel ones; they will be joined by 7 new recruits (thought they already possess some amount of combat experience) handpicked by myself.

I finally caught the cave crocodile laying eggs and managed to forbid them before anyone touched them. now that I'm expecting coroc babies, I guess it's only fair that I let all those giant olm and giant toads I've caught out their cages to breed.

Oh, and look what a possessed planter made for me:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:02:05 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)
Pages: 1 ... 3040 3041 [3042] 3043 3044 ... 3842