Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2904 2905 [2906] 2907 2908 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099710 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43575 on: October 28, 2015, 01:56:24 pm »

I released my two Giantesses and one Ettin in my death chamber after converting it to allow for my new Marksadwarf squad to use it for live training as well [Especially since my last Wereelk might have died].

Before my Marksdwarves were ready; however [They forgot their ammo <_<] the Ettin killed both Giantesses. And I checked. The Giantesses did not fight each other.

The lesson? Ettins are far more dangerous than Giants.
Nasty. I'm kind of glad the Ettin that showed up at one of my forts walked straight into a cage trap.
Back before Bastiongate's trap ring was complete, I had an ettin attack. It was killed by Spearmaster Vucar, netting her her fourth significant kill.

40-some ingame years later, one of my legendary mechanics died of old age. While searching for his relatives, I found that he had a wife that had died before he came to the fortress. Looking in Legends Viewer, his wife and youngest kid were killed by an ettin. I looked at the ettin. The ettin was killed by Spearmaster Vucar.

I imagine that mechanic stood on Bastiongate's walls under the bright desert sun, watching Vucar put her spear through the brains of the ettin that killed his wife and child all those years ago.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43576 on: October 28, 2015, 03:49:12 pm »

Windstockade, year 24: The fortress has settled into the rhythm of day-to-day living, with more or less meticulous concern from the overseer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The last few years have been rather uneventful: No sieges or surface megabeasts, for whatever reason; just the occasional sneaky werecritter, and a few FBs in the caverns, slugging it out amongst themselves. The leisurely pace has made it easier to concentrate on megaprojects, but despite the relative lack of military conflict, I've lost several valued soldiers to mysterious "accidents," or whatever you'd call them: At one point my barracks were located on top of the turrets, and the sparring soldiers had an amazing propensity to get flung over (or possibly through, due to some bug?) the 1z-high brick wall topped by a fortification. I wised up to the danger after several unexplained injuries and deaths, and I'm currently constructing new military training compounds that are safely located on the ground level. Another mistake was appointing a captain of the guard, who (unsurprisingly) turned out to be a homicidal sadist with a tendency to punch his fellow dwarves in the throat and inflict severe wounds by biting and scratching. Strangely enough, he seemed particularly fond of beating heavily-armoured soldiers with his bare fists, even managing to do some real damage against all odds. His reign of terror was ended by a mortally wounded swordmaster who paid back in kind before passing away, but sadly, three more of the captain's victims succumbed to their injuries in the years following his death:

Oh, and my mayor/militia captain just died of old age during a heated sparring session. 'Tis the Twilight of Dwarven Civilization.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43577 on: October 28, 2015, 03:54:40 pm »

One of my dwarves made a legendary gabbro coffin. Upon the coffin is an image of a cave crocodile mortally wounding a bat man.

How in Armok's name could he have possibly known about what went on in the caverns beneath my fort? I haven't even revealed them yet!
Check the date and location on the event; it might have been a historical event that did not occur in your fort.

During a relatively safe period where I had nothing but pond grabbers and a helmet snake in the caverns I took to set up some more traplines and WOOOOOOOOOWEEEE I am ever trapping things fast now. Pretty soon there will nothing left to visit my caverns but those pesky little pond grabbers that I can't catch because they won't leave the water. I might even have to start farming just to stabilize my food supply......
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43578 on: October 28, 2015, 05:03:19 pm »

Windstockade, year 24: The fortress has settled into the rhythm of day-to-day living, with more or less meticulous concern from the overseer.
What visualizer is that? I really like the look of it.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43579 on: October 28, 2015, 06:06:28 pm »

My current fort is running in a world generated with the Modest Mod, settled in a tropical border area of moist broadleaf and conifer forests. Got a brook that starts at the fort, and already caught 4 elephants, yay. Hoping for them to breed soon so I can have epic war elephants pastured outside the fort entrance to protect the caravans. Too bad they're grazers though or they'd be accompanying my new military everywhere.

Found out I have a butt-ton of galena and the occasional bit of tetrahedrite, but after being unable to find iron I DFhacked it up and found out the map has no iron ore in it :| Time to make a ton of stuff to trade for everything made of iron from caravans to melt down. At least I have flux stone coming out my ears, so steel at least won't be an issue once I have the iron.

Now to finish mining out the cassiterite ore vein I found and making a ton of bronze armour. What's the better material for edged weapons, copper, silver or bronze? Already made my maces and warhammers out of silver.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43580 on: October 28, 2015, 06:08:58 pm »

Rather proud of a new little contraption I built. I have a new fort with a permanently frozen ocean and a the first cavern that is 86 z-levels down and appears to be dry anyways. So I constructed a "slurp" to drain three surface ponds into an underground reservoir that I can pump out of into my cistern to purify the water. I managed to drain all three ponds twice before winter hit (it rains almost constantly) and now I have a good supply of water. Everything is sealed off with bridges so it can all be closed up when needed, which is good because my tower neighbor already sent some undead elf scouts.   

It's no mega-project by any stretch of the imagination, but I designed it on the fly with no examples and it worked the first time, so that's always cool.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43581 on: October 28, 2015, 06:23:37 pm »

Now to finish mining out the cassiterite ore vein I found and making a ton of bronze armour. What's the better material for edged weapons, copper, silver or bronze? Already made my maces and warhammers out of silver.
Definitely bronze.

The blasted pond grabbers are back. They may very be the only creatures I ever see in my caverns now, but time will tell.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43582 on: October 28, 2015, 07:10:13 pm »

One of my dwarves made a legendary gabbro coffin. Upon the coffin is an image of a cave crocodile mortally wounding a bat man.

How in Armok's name could he have possibly known about what went on in the caverns beneath my fort? I haven't even revealed them yet!
Check the date and location on the event; it might have been a historical event that did not occur in your fort.

During a relatively safe period where I had nothing but pond grabbers and a helmet snake in the caverns I took to set up some more traplines and WOOOOOOOOOWEEEE I am ever trapping things fast now. Pretty soon there will nothing left to visit my caverns but those pesky little pond grabbers that I can't catch because they won't leave the water. I might even have to start farming just to stabilize my food supply......

Midwinter of the year I began the fort. In exactly the same place as the fort.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43583 on: October 28, 2015, 07:55:21 pm »

Midwinter of the year I began the fort. In exactly the same place as the fort.
The same region, or does it mention your fort's name?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43584 on: October 28, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »

What visualizer is that? I really like the look of it.
Armok Vision 0.6 by Japa.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43585 on: October 28, 2015, 09:36:35 pm »

Ugh. DF crashed and lost the last few hours of work. Got reset to right before the werebear attack, lost 6 or 7 dwarves this time with a bunch of people in the hospital and a werebear dwarf. My miners need to get off their asses so I can lock him in a room to die.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #43586 on: October 28, 2015, 09:38:37 pm »

Ugh. DF crashed and lost the last few hours of work. Got reset to right before the werebear attack, lost 6 or 7 dwarves this time with a bunch of people in the hospital and a werebear dwarf. My miners need to get off their asses so I can lock him in a room to die.
ok how many enemies surround your fort?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43587 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:56 pm »

A werebear dwarf sounds like fantastic silk farm bait.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43588 on: October 28, 2015, 10:33:40 pm »

Year 52.  Population is now 168.  The fort got its first dragon visit!  The dragon plopped itself straight into a cage trap and is currently tethered in the Nothing Interesting For The Military Here, Keep Going level of the fort, next to the hydra.

Then we were visited by, in quick succession, a small goblin siege, an ettin, and another ettin.  I now have two male and one female ettin, and I'm back to that same question I have with the minotaurs: should I try to breed them?  If I did breed them, the offspring would almost certainly be listed as historical figures.  I could create a title manufacturing operation.

Speaking of historical figures, I took a peek at the legends for this fort, and it is stuffed to the gills with HORSES.  I swear that every horse this fort has ever raised is a legendary historical figure.  If I had to do this fort over again from scratch, I would slaughter the damned horses instantly and save myself the many, many, many statues and engravings and artifact decorations of dead and dying horses.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43589 on: October 28, 2015, 10:46:30 pm »

ok how many enemies surround your fort?
At present? None. The goblins haven't found their way here yet and I'm avoiding pissing off the elves until I can get all the animals from them.

A werebear dwarf sounds like fantastic silk farm bait.
...probably, come to think of it. Though I have no idea how to silk farm, and am lacking a GCS.
Pages: 1 ... 2904 2905 [2906] 2907 2908 ... 3842