Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2905 2906 [2907] 2908 2909 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120310 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43590 on: October 28, 2015, 10:56:49 pm »

A werebear dwarf sounds like fantastic silk farm bait.
...probably, come to think of it. Though I have no idea how to silk farm, and am lacking a GCS.

It's not hard, if GCSs are a thing on your map.  They are easily captured with a cage trap, and I often see them apparently trying to path into my fort, so just lining the entryway to the fort with a few traps is enough to catch one.  I use the "high volume" silk farm linked from the wiki and it will generate 2000 or more silk thread per year.

The only limiting factor is finding a bait to use that won't die of starvation or dehydration, but still provokes the spider.  Vampires and weres are ideal, as they can be walled in, thereby making the fort immortal, and they also won't spook the normal dwarves so doing maintenance with the spider is less fiddly.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43591 on: October 28, 2015, 11:07:37 pm »

Oh nice, okay. I might have to go probing for the lower caverns soon then...I doubt the upper one will have any.

In other news the elves bought a freaking pair of Giant Kingsnakes. Breeding pair. Of GIANT KINGSNAKES.

Project Snakepit is go.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43592 on: October 28, 2015, 11:21:07 pm »

I sent nine underequipped military dwarves after a single giant wolverine that was harassing my herbdwarves. It killed one and was quickly knocked unconscious. It would get pummeled and then wake up, only to be rendered unconscious again. And then my dwarves didn't re-KO it in time and it proceeded to mow through seven more dwarves. Half of its body was red, half yellow, and it had a blue liver, yet it fought on. Wanting to cut my losses, I told everyone to get inside, whereupon the wolverine died of blood loss.

I thought it was bad when someone began grieving the loss and I noticed she had a younger sister and a niece die. Then I saw someone sleeping in one of my new crypts. She was related to all eight people who died.

Fast forward through the elven caravan and the spring migrant wave swells my ranks up to ~49 from 19. The one remaining military dwarf has managed to solely train himself up to legendary wrestler. Just minutes ago, I partially refill my ranks with migrants. I haven't been able to purchase/construct weapons yet. And then I get a notification that a werelizard has arrived. Where is it? Ten squares from my door, of course.

I think it's bedtime. I'll deal with this tomorrow.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43593 on: October 29, 2015, 02:53:02 am »

Another fort lost.

About 8 months into the fort's life; before I even had enough hands to get things working, a Wereass showed up; killed half my fort and started a spiral.

Also a mirgrant wave arrived just before this happened, and a glass-maker in it instantly entered a mood. So I was rushing to get a glass industry going.

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43594 on: October 29, 2015, 02:59:49 am »

CAUTION: SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN.

"Oh yes, embark on the evil terrain, they said. Kill many dread beasts, they said."

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43595 on: October 29, 2015, 03:26:33 am »

SIEGES AND POLITICS

This year, the elven caravan did not show up at the desert fortress of Shieldward. I've been trading golden goblets for ungodly amounts of wood and given gifts as well, so they have no reason to be mad at me. I checked the civ screen and it turns out there is now a state of war between The Beautiful Earth and the tree-hugging scum of The Delightful Prairie.

I just had my first goblin siege from the arch nemesis of my civ, so pathing is apparently working and I look forward to being invaded by all my neighbours. The gobbos took over a nearby hillocks last year, so it seems to be an ongoing campaign.

I dig it.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43596 on: October 29, 2015, 05:35:57 am »

Oh nice, okay. I might have to go probing for the lower caverns soon then...I doubt the upper one will have any.

GCS appear in the first cavern layer, so if you have any you should be able to eventually see one there.  You can check if you have some with DFHack.  The command is region-pops list.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43597 on: October 29, 2015, 06:20:52 am »

Speaking of historical figures, I took a peek at the legends for this fort, and it is stuffed to the gills with HORSES.  I swear that every horse this fort has ever raised is a legendary historical figure.  If I had to do this fort over again from scratch, I would slaughter the damned horses instantly and save myself the many, many, many statues and engravings and artifact decorations of dead and dying horses.
Hoo boy, have I got bad news for you: I looked at legends mode too, and it seems to me that every single tame and trained animal is a legendary historical figure. I too have many unwanted engravings, statues and figurines of random livestock slaughter.....though they outnumbered by the equally bad "URIST MCPROFESSION MAKES HIS BILLIONTH FUCKING MASTERPIECE".
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43598 on: October 29, 2015, 10:24:04 am »

That would be why I never really glance at more than a few engravings in my forts, when I bother to do anything more than just smooth the stone in a desperate effort to get a little more value out of a noble's room and make the hospital, dining room, and graveyard look nice.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43599 on: October 29, 2015, 10:53:09 am »

In my last fort, apparently the only stories anyone knew had to do with two dark troll spouses. I looked it up in the legends and they were both turned into that by the same dark troll. Must have been quite an epic, because I had Ñ's all over my fortress. If it wasn't that it was gizzard stones, the symbol of my civilization. Whoopdy-friggin-do!

I do really like it when they tell stories about mega-beasts, etc that were slain in the fort. I had one fort that was great for that and masterwork statues of Zon the God of fortresses. I miss that fort.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43600 on: October 29, 2015, 11:20:27 am »

I really wish there were a way to get the game to stop recording the creation of mere masterworks and the slaughter of livestock as significant events eligible to show up in art, I really do. Admittedly, I'd be more accepting of livestock death if livestock birth and training were also eligible events. But really, I'm just disappointed that all of the really cool stuff isn't showing up in my art. In the first year of Crowgravel, a python inflicted a fatal wound on one of my dwarfs before getting all its teeth punched out. Two dwarfs have died to wild jabberers, whom were killed in turn by hammerdwarfs. My hammerdwarfs have killed countless crundles, creeping eyes and fleshballs, plus a countable number of other animals. I lost 2 miners to a giant toad once. My giant hunting bats once ripped apart a random giant toad that had somehow gotten out of the caverns and had foolishly wandered near their pasture. Why should these events only appear infrequently in my engravings or even worse be entirely omitted because no named entities were involved?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:31:04 am by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43601 on: October 29, 2015, 02:26:12 pm »

It takes 6 steel bars for one full suit of armor.
Plus one bar for his weapon equals 7. Shield will be leather, of which I have plenty.
I have not quite 3000 steel bars.
~3000/7=429 dwarves
I could arm and armor my entire fortress twice over with my steel stocks.

Though, I think the only reason I would do this is for the stat gains from military training.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43602 on: October 29, 2015, 02:43:00 pm »

I could arm and armor my entire fortress twice over with my steel stocks.
But would they all be masterworks?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43603 on: October 29, 2015, 03:13:54 pm »

Probably not. They wouldn't be below exceptional, though. I only need 190 suits to armor the whole fort, giving me 15 extra to work with.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43604 on: October 29, 2015, 03:51:41 pm »

ELVEN AMBUSH RIGHT NEXT TO MY BARRACKS

THEY HAVE ELEPHANTS

EDIT: Haha, elves are no fun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:22:05 pm by SirQuiamus »
Pages: 1 ... 2905 2906 [2907] 2908 2909 ... 3842