Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2903 2904 [2905] 2906 2907 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099796 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43560 on: October 27, 2015, 02:16:04 pm »

I started a new fort just to see the Taiga. I bought an iron sword from the first caravan (hadn't found weaponizable metal yet) and set one dwarf to training in leather armor hoping he might be of use, in case of an early werebeast attack. I would send him out to kill off some of the local wildlife at times figuring that would get him more experience than training by himself. Then once when he was going after a reindeer he takes a detour to kill a crab out on the ice. Apparently it was a pretty gnarly crab because it managed to kill him. It wasn't a giant crab or anything. Who knew?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:18:25 pm by Bakaridjan »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43561 on: October 27, 2015, 08:02:04 pm »

Imagine my disappointment when I see one of my furnace operators enter a strange mood only for him to claim a craftsdwarf shop......oh well, at least he made an animal trap, which isn't completely useless.

I turned off egg gathering a few months ago and now I have 8 new jabberers in addition to several new cassowaries, eagles and white storks.

I just looked at the offspring, and it appears that Jabberers do not have genetics implemented for them, or at least if they do muscularity has nothing to do with genetics because none of my new Jabberers are exceptionally muscular. In fact, one of them is even CORPULENT. The horror!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:21:56 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43562 on: October 27, 2015, 09:26:08 pm »

Butcher it.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43563 on: October 28, 2015, 01:15:48 am »

All in good time, my friend, all in good time.....I'll make more soap out of her if I wait for her to reach maximum size first.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43564 on: October 28, 2015, 04:58:53 am »

I just looked at the offspring, and it appears that Jabberers do not have genetics implemented for them, or at least if they do muscularity has nothing to do with genetics because none of my new Jabberers are exceptionally muscular. In fact, one of them is even CORPULENT. The horror!

Genetics is a thing, but only for traits from the female; the male has no major effect other than keeping offspring from being clones of the mother. Also fat is very good for war-animals because it provides natural armor against blunt attacks* and affects how much damage a creature can take before passing out from the pain/bloodloss.

*My tests were done before the pulping update, so this might be outdated.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:00:36 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43565 on: October 28, 2015, 06:06:52 am »

Genetics is a thing, but only for traits from the female; the male has no major effect other than keeping offspring from being clones of the mother. Also fat is very good for war-animals because it provides natural armor against blunt attacks* and affects how much damage a creature can take before passing out from the pain/bloodloss.

*My tests were done before the pulping update, so this might be outdated.
Yeah, but all of the jabberers in my adult population are above average in muscularity and that is true of none of the latest batch of offspring.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43566 on: October 28, 2015, 08:00:00 am »

While we built the underground windfarm, we were visited twice. First the elven civ remembered that they're at war with the mountainhomes and sent an ambush, then the goblins sent their second "siege", consisting of 24 warriors. Unfortunately for the visitors, our fort has five dwarfs who've been training non-stop for years.

The goblins brought a fair number of archers and the fight took place in a mostly open area with no real cover, and still no dwarf got hurt; one of the spear-users ended up "tired", but i don't know if that was due to the fight and not by lingering exhaustion from the last training session. I've been considering sending the military against the forgotten beasts, but i dislike the gambling aspect of syndromes.

Our duchess has been nice of late and refrained from spamming puzzlebox mandates; her other preference is for bins, which makes trading a bit complicated, but not too tricky.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43567 on: October 28, 2015, 08:09:24 am »

I released my two Giantesses and one Ettin in my death chamber after converting it to allow for my new Marksadwarf squad to use it for live training as well [Especially since my last Wereelk might have died].

Before my Marksdwarves were ready; however [They forgot their ammo <_<] the Ettin killed both Giantesses. And I checked. The Giantesses did not fight each other.

The lesson? Ettins are far more dangerous than Giants.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43568 on: October 28, 2015, 08:56:04 am »

I released my two Giantesses and one Ettin in my death chamber after converting it to allow for my new Marksadwarf squad to use it for live training as well [Especially since my last Wereelk might have died].

Before my Marksdwarves were ready; however [They forgot their ammo <_<] the Ettin killed both Giantesses. And I checked. The Giantesses did not fight each other.

The lesson? Ettins are far more dangerous than Giants.
Nasty. I'm kind of glad the Ettin that showed up at one of my forts walked straight into a cage trap.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43569 on: October 28, 2015, 11:09:49 am »

I started a new world and fort. Current goal is to create a Hemp industry (grows in any temperate for thread, flour, paste, cake, and oil).

So I want to make hemp clothing, hemp food products, and hemp soap!

Embarked on a 3x3 with 2 Temperate (but Hot) biomes: Untamed Wild Connifer Forest, Terrifying Shrubland; and 1x1 corner biome Tropical Ocean.

There's aquifer, so doing above ground structure with 2 basement levels for the first year or 2.

No Hemp to gather plants!  I hope the caravan has some to trade.
Wood everywhere.  13x13 wood tower, 3z tall now.
Found microline and slate in parts of basement 1 and 2, so microline bridge over a dry moat.

5 of my founders start with +5 weapon/mining, +3 Dodger, +2 Discipline. 
We already slain 6 Squirrel People, but we hide from the Undead Kangaroos until the bronze ores are all smelted and we're armored.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43570 on: October 28, 2015, 12:28:21 pm »

Gory, gory cleanup and quarantine.

A forgotten beast (Feathered nematode with poisonous vapors) appeared in the caverns and before the militia could even assemble an ettin appeared on the surface and started throwing my alpacas everywhere and knocking their teeth out in little sprays. So I seal the caves up and send them to the surface.

The marksdwarves decide that they can't shoot out of the nice little pillbox I prepared for them for just such an occasion, so I have to face the ettin in the field. They take it out no problem, other than the fact that their slowness got pretty much all the livestock mangled.

Back inside the militia descends into the caves. The nematode suddenly rushes the corridor and the confrontation occurs in a corner section of a long, narrow tunnel giving the marksdwarves little chance to fire. It spits noxious fumes in every direction before being taken out. There are no immediate effects, but I leave them down there just in case. Then the rot begins. Every bodypart exposed to the toxin rots and some of them turn mangled. Miasma is everywhere. The non-infected dwarves complain about the smell while the brave few who rushed the FB enjoy their supercharged leprosy.

I'm preparing a decontamination bath to funnel them through, so they can get to the hospital.

Edit: I forgot, a weaver of 15 years, married to the chief medical dwarf, wandered down there with the militia and charged the FB on his own initiative. He caught the worst blast, including both of his eyes. They are now rotten and his medical status says "vision lost".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:35:20 pm by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43571 on: October 28, 2015, 12:56:57 pm »

Lost my old fort due to a siege way bigger than expected which killed my fledgling military easily.

So I generated a new world, and I've embarked next to a river.

Within weeks had a Kobolt thief show up.

We're building a large above-ground fort so I can grow above-ground crops and fish safely. Basic industry is starting up after a couple of seasons, and then, in autumn:

'The baroness consort Zuglar Vabokamal of Peacedangers from Iden Ubal has arrived
A caravan from Iden Ubal has arrived'

Apparently the Baroness Consort is also my Outpost Liaison. And 'Baroness Consort' overrides that prior title.

Also apparently wild carp giving birth to fry gives me an announcement.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:59:37 pm by Raikaria »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43572 on: October 28, 2015, 01:01:26 pm »

My first fort in at least a year was going great but my dwarves seemed to have found bins to be abhorrent. Thus, stockpiles everywhere. Each was set to use the maximum number of bins but said bins sat unused in the furniture stockpile. Trading was a multi-day affair during which all productivity ground to a halt as dwarves carried a thousand individual +crundle bone earring+s to the depot. This lasted up until I got to 160+ dwarves, when I decided I could use a more optimal fortress.

I created a new world and designated a nice open area to be dug. I plonked down a few stockpiles to clear out the wagon (damn you, giant kea, for stealing my one and only piece of raw green glass before doing so), and set up a few initial workshops. Now there are bins in use everywhere. I also managed to build a barn around my pasture before my livestock could be molested by giant birds as well. Things are looking up.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:02:59 pm by Mephisto »

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43573 on: October 28, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »

One of my dwarves made a legendary gabbro coffin. Upon the coffin is an image of a cave crocodile mortally wounding a bat man.

How in Armok's name could he have possibly known about what went on in the caverns beneath my fort? I haven't even revealed them yet!
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43574 on: October 28, 2015, 01:35:32 pm »

Calling from around page 1700!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I installed the Black Powder Firearms mod, made a few edits and changes to it so that I could access the magma versions of the workshops, and just really want to be able to have a marksdwarf squad next to a rifle, shotgun, or pistol squad.

I've got a magma forgeworks down on the lower levels, but most of my fort is withing two dozen levels of the surface.
I have a walled courtyard and walled fishing area for the 4-6 months of the year I have liquid water.

Current projects are an indoor watersource using the first cavern level, and hopefully no forgotten beast will get in through that.
I was also considering figuring out minecarts to bring stuff from the magma level to the upper level, but I still haven't decided where I'll have my main military stockpiles set up. I have stockpiles near the surface (where I want them to be training), and a couple levels up from the forgeworks (near where they're produced). So far, I don't think it's really worth it, since I'm not exactly hurting for having enough tetrahedrite ore or copper / silver bars.
I do need more steel, bronze, or iron for the guns, though. I have steel and leather on order from the caravan.

I also don't have the ability to make highboots for some reason, and this annoys me.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 ... 2903 2904 [2905] 2906 2907 ... 3842