Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2900 2901 [2902] 2903 2904 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099615 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43515 on: October 24, 2015, 07:59:09 pm »

Yes, pumpstacks will work with a power source attached to the top rather than the bottom. As long as a source of power is attached to any of the pumps and all other pumps are attached to that pump, the whole thing will have power.
Excellent. And one other thing I want to be absolutely sure about: building pumps so that one tile of each of the pumps are directly on top of each other with no floor in between them is all that is required to have them connected for conducting power, correct?

Serrated glass discs are a great cheap method of blending anything made of meat and poorly armored, like goblins.
Well, that works for me, since goblins are the only other civilization in this world. Are they good against really, really BIG things made of meat? You never know what those tricky goblins will bring as mounts....then again, I might just want to trap them all in cages anyways, since capturing mounts might be my only chance at getting my hands on a male cave dragon.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43516 on: October 24, 2015, 08:29:06 pm »

Yes, pumpstacks will work with a power source attached to the top rather than the bottom. As long as a source of power is attached to any of the pumps and all other pumps are attached to that pump, the whole thing will have power.
Excellent. And one other thing I want to be absolutely sure about: building pumps so that one tile of each of the pumps are directly on top of each other with no floor in between them is all that is required to have them connected for conducting power, correct?

The passable tile has to be constructed on solid ground so that a Pump Operator could theoretically stand there and operate the pump, but the impassible tile can be built above a hole in the ground (with another machine of any type below) and power will be transmitted. Like so:

Emperor of Carp

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [ETHIC:EAT_DWARF:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43517 on: October 24, 2015, 09:07:46 pm »

Theres a friggin cave crocodile blocking my stairs. And for whatever reason, the dwarves are all tripping down them and landing on the croc. Everyone is unconscious. Send help
Do you even know what a google is?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43518 on: October 24, 2015, 11:59:33 pm »

Singlewinds celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of its founding.  FPS has taken a significant hit recently, and the fort now runs in the ~15 range.  I believe this is due to my allowing weasels to both breed and run around a pasture unrestrained.  The objective is to bring weasel training expertise up from Knowledgeable to Expert, and to expedite this I've allowed wild-caught weasels to breed and brought their offspring under training only when they become adults.  It's not quite on the level of a crocsplosion, as weasels are not prolific breeders and they don't live very long, but it's still pretty irritating.  As soon as training expertise is where I want it to be, all these weasels are going to be packed off in cages.

In its five-decade history, the fort has slain 18 forgotten beasts, 2 titans, 598 crundles, and 472 goblins.  Another 41 goblins are currently kicking back in cages, with all but 2 waiting for me to get around to tossing them into magma.  One of the two chosen survivors is in the zoo, while the other is mounted in the duchess's tomb.

A flock of 64 rocs provides the fort with a slow but steady stream of high-value eggs.  The male rocs are all contained in a single cage.  On Bakaridjan's advice, I have tethered the female rocs within reach of nest boxes, to keep them from wandering.  This has worked quite well in reducing the danger posed by the rocs while still permitting egg harvesting (so, thanks Bakaridjan).  The original two wild-caught animals are also tethered, as they are both uncaged to keep them well-trained.  The male roc, Sidaya, spends a lot of time wallowing in misery now, while the female, Fepiri, is seemingly okay with the new arrangement.

The fort has a single hydra also in captivity, Nuspu Phlegmstench, a female animal.  Maybe someday we'll capture a male and be able to breed hydras, but I'm not holding my breath.  We don't get megabeasts with the same frequency as before.

We have a single female cave dragon.  No male yet.  We have two male minotaurs and one female.  We have one female and one male cyclops.  We have a male ettin and a giantess, and a bronze colossus.

All caverns are walled off, but can be opened by lowering one of the edge drawbridges.  The first cavern is continually closed.  The second no longer yields wildlife, so I have one bridge open continually to invite forgotten beasts to visit.  The third cavern is still being mined for wildlife, so it is sometimes open and sometimes closed depending on whether I am harvesting caged animals.

Sixty of the fort's dwarves are military: 10 master lashers, 10 axe lords, 5 hammer lords, 5 mace lords, 10 elite marksdwarves, 9 spearmasters and 1 speardwarf.  Ten dwarves are listed as elite wrestlers, but in reality they are armed with steel picks.

Despite some close calls and a few grievous injuries, the fortress has not suffered a single dwarven death.

To celebrate its anniversary, Singlewinds is performing an epic spring cleaning, getting rid of a metric ton of old goblinite and giant bat hair that we never bothered to deal with before, and refreshing the fort's wardrobe.  There's also a project underway to replace all of the fort's green glass furniture with clear glass, in order to boost the happy thoughts citizens get from admiring their bedroom furnishings.  Lots and lots and lots of trees are dying in the service of this project, but at least we'll have ample trade goods for the foreseeable future.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43519 on: October 25, 2015, 12:17:59 am »

Welcome to Cathelms, home of the big blue pudding pop, zip-zop-zoobidy-bop!

We got a queen in the first season.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She didn't arrive, she just claimed the position, nobody sane would come here, I mean, the eagle corpses don't get back up... but they keep raining out of the sky...
I was watching the zombies to see if one got hit and a fire imp got wrecked by them, melting a chunk of ice and encasing a couple zombies, neat!

Oh yeah, the glacier is haunted by the essence of Bill Cosby, come for the tasty blue pudding pop, stay because it knocks your ass right out.

Suffice to say the dorfs have been below ground all this time.

I was in a bit of a panic with the queen since I kinda forgot to set up industries and whatnot due to my hobby of following eagles around and laughing as they take a nap 90 z above the surface... pweeeeooooooooo... SPLUT!

Well, due to all the marble and limonite and coal on site and no real need for a military atm, I just set them to work making a new Face of Armok inside the ice covering the glacier, dug it out enough so it melted and collapsed when activated, and used it to break the first zombie siege from the 5 or 6 towers nearby.

I was sad about cleaning up the slime and eagle corpses but hey.

Not like it was permanent in any way beyond the obsidian. I mean, the zombies came back this year.

They keep jumping into the volcano, I think they're chasing magma crabs?

Haven't seen one get hit by a falling eagle yet, but I hold out hope that I will be able to catch it.

Wormser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43520 on: October 25, 2015, 04:51:20 am »

Just Got my first dwarf artifact for this fort. Iron short sword. Had plenty of choices for metal. Gold. Silver, Tin, Lead, Steel, Copper, Iron, Piggy Iron, and Bronze. And to think it was iron. Happened when the dwarf trader hit. Also happened to be my broker. Which I was trainging up to be a weaponsmith. So Win win.

Edit: Was also training swordsdorfs too. Which makes it even better. To bad it was not steel.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:53:36 am by Wormser »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43521 on: October 25, 2015, 06:04:25 am »

Ignoring two Troglodytes that are stuck up a tree above the water, I have caught every Troglodyte on the map. Stupid creatures. I have about 20 now that I am going to sic my military on at some point.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43522 on: October 25, 2015, 10:00:40 am »

The fleshballs and cave blobs just keep coming, only interrupted by the odd mudman or bloodman.....please, Armok, make it stop. I want the third cavern layer to be like the old times again, when they supplied me a constant stream of useful creatures......

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43523 on: October 25, 2015, 10:27:27 am »

Wereelk snuck into my fortress [Only being detected near the bridge] and bit my Legendary Weaponsmith. No other casualties, and it turned into a Friendly Ohm Woman and proceeded to get caught in a Cage Trap on it's way out.

Said legendary weaponsmith has been secluded into my combat chamber, with the Ohm Woman in a constructed cage nearby. They shall be weaponized and let loose on the full moon against any invaders I set up in the other room. Crying shame out of every Urist I had it was my legendary weaponsmith, but hey, I haven't actually made a military yet, I'm just busy setting up defenses and starting animal programs.

So far we've trained enough Emus that we've actually advanced our Civ's knowledge of training them! Sadly no pairs yet. Only Males.

Also a War Dog I used to keep an eye out for Gremlins killed two Troglodites.

Edit: My Weaponsmith didn't turn! He got bit; I checked the reports; but he didn't turn!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:42:23 am by Raikaria »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43524 on: October 25, 2015, 11:12:00 am »

It doesn't take many of any animal to advance your first training level in it, unless it's something your civilization already has experience with, which I believe is not the case for emus. Anyhow, what other animal programs do you have in place?

Also, that is one nasty bullet you dodged with your weaponsmith.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43525 on: October 25, 2015, 12:51:21 pm »

Wereelk snuck into my fortress [Only being detected near the bridge] and bit my Legendary Weaponsmith. No other casualties, and it turned into a Friendly Ohm Woman and proceeded to get caught in a Cage Trap on it's way out.

Said legendary weaponsmith has been secluded into my combat chamber, with the Ohm Woman in a constructed cage nearby. They shall be weaponized and let loose on the full moon against any invaders I set up in the other room. Crying shame out of every Urist I had it was my legendary weaponsmith, but hey, I haven't actually made a military yet, I'm just busy setting up defenses and starting animal programs.

So far we've trained enough Emus that we've actually advanced our Civ's knowledge of training them! Sadly no pairs yet. Only Males.

Also a War Dog I used to keep an eye out for Gremlins killed two Troglodites.

Edit: My Weaponsmith didn't turn! He got bit; I checked the reports; but he didn't turn!

In my experience, infectious bites aren't actually listed in the combat log. My standard protocol when dealing with werecreatures is to quarantine anyone and everyone who was involved and then see who turns in about a month.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43526 on: October 25, 2015, 01:35:27 pm »

It doesn't take many of any animal to advance your first training level in it, unless it's something your civilization already has experience with, which I believe is not the case for emus. Anyhow, what other animal programs do you have in place?

Also, that is one nasty bullet you dodged with your weaponsmith.

I started with Turkeys and Dogs.

I then captured some Emus, which I'm attempting to breed now [They refuse to lay fertile eggs right now]. Nothing else overworld has appeared.

I have a female Cave Crocodile who lays basically enough eggs of her own accord to feed my entire fort. I hope to get a male; breed them, and have a large amount of cave crocodiles who can be used as pets/bodyguards. I can just imagine the reactions of the Goblins if they attack my fort and there is a swarm of crocodiles.

I also have a Giant Toad and hope to capture a second. Elves brought a Giant Leopard too.

In non-animal news:

I have a vampire! It wasn't hard to identify her, and I set up justice for the first time. Sadly it was imprisoned. Hopefully if it strikes again after being freed it's a hammering. [My Hammerer wields an artifact axe]. I'd put my Vampire in the Werebeast chamber but I'd rather get my first hammering done; check I did it right.

I have also weaponized my WereElk. I made a chamber where I construct cages. I cage whatever I want killed inside cages; and the Ohm Woman in another cage. I seal it off with bridges; link the cages to the triggers, and when she turns I let them loose. Then I  have the Ohm Woman stumble into the Cage Trap outside the chamber after I re-open the bridge; and re-arm the chamber for the next month. Tested it out with 4 troglodites. They all got ripped apart without the WereElk even getting harmed. I'm going to see if it can kill two Trolls next.

Also my site has an incredible amount of Gold.

Edit:

She ripped apart the two trolls at once with no effort at all. Killed the second one by grabbing it's legs one after another and shaking it so hard it shattered the bones, before doing the same with the head and ripping it's arteries. This thing is scary... it is even listed as 'being very muscular and gigantic overall'.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:47:22 pm by Raikaria »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43527 on: October 25, 2015, 01:42:02 pm »

In my experience, infectious bites aren't actually listed in the combat log. My standard protocol when dealing with werecreatures is to quarantine anyone and everyone who was involved and then see who turns in about a month.
In adventure mode it requires you to be physically bitten by a turned werebeast in combat, where the bite breaks skin, so presumably the same system is being used in fort mode.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #43528 on: October 25, 2015, 02:03:24 pm »

In adventure mode it requires you to be physically bitten by a turned werebeast in combat, where the bite breaks skin, so presumably the same system is being used in fort mode.

Yep. If you have DFhack installed, you can use the search function to find all the instances of bites in a given report and check if they break the skin, and then quarantine only those dwarves.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43529 on: October 25, 2015, 03:05:28 pm »

Well that was interesting.

I released the Wereelk a bit late on a batch of 9 Troglodites. 3 survived. The next full moon, the Olm Woman turned into a Wereelk again... but so did one of the Troglodites.

The Trogolodite-Wereelk killed the Olm-Woman WereElk.

So now I have a slightly less cooperative WereElk who won't just ignore me Urists as they go to pick up stones when I let it out.

In other news; a Giantess showed u; killed all of my grazers and a couple of stupid dwarves too dumb to listen to the civillian call, and then got caged. I do not think a single were-elk is enough to kill this. In fact it might make a Giantess Were-elk.

Also I have baby; tame Emus! Cave Crocodile male has also been obtained.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:22:47 pm by Raikaria »
Pages: 1 ... 2900 2901 [2902] 2903 2904 ... 3842