Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2826 2827 [2828] 2829 2830 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119416 times)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42405 on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:17 am »

It's going to take years to completely finish, but my dorfs have begun to channel down the steep slopes around the side of the hill that covers half the map. My engravers then follow to smooth the rock faces left behind. Already the fort is impregnable against non-flying attack from the west, though for the sake of show I'm going to channel down to the ground. The hilltop belongs to the dwarves of Dastot's Holler, and no outpost liaison or necromancer bully squad is going to tell them otherwise.

The real mayor just finished digging his own quarters out of the inside of a ridge. The vampire who, once a year, screams "I'm the mayor now!" from inside the bowyer's shop into which he bricked himself, still feels blissful about being elected, despite the fact that he's removed from office right away each time.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42406 on: July 14, 2015, 01:14:51 pm »

1. DFhack in some rain.
2. Wait for the fire to burn itself out.
3. Wait for rain.

Forgot that DFHack could cause rain. That would have been useful. (As it was, I was stuck with option number two, which means the entire embark is charred to ash. Which is more dorfy than a forest, anyway.)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42407 on: July 14, 2015, 01:50:14 pm »

The vampire who, once a year, screams "I'm the mayor now!" from inside the bowyer's shop into which he bricked himself, still feels blissful about being elected, despite the fact that he's removed from office right away each time.

This, right here, is the essence of Dwarf Fortress.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42408 on: July 14, 2015, 02:23:49 pm »

building 10 orders of 30 Menacing wooden spikes for my dropping bridge trap.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42409 on: July 14, 2015, 02:45:07 pm »

Beginning an operation to open a lower cavern layer. There's ample bone sources in the form of cave beasts, and hopefully the militia will be able to kill'em all.

Due for invasions now, as I've hit both the population and export triggers.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42410 on: July 15, 2015, 06:15:00 am »

Oh dear Armok the Keas and vultures they're stealing everything get away you thieving little bastards! >:(
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42411 on: July 15, 2015, 08:45:21 am »

My animal trainer is sending pamphlets on the proper care and feeding of buzzards and great horned owls back to the Mountainhomes. She's trained dozens of the things by now, so she's pretty much the world's expert. Fortunately, she doesn't mind that they're inevitably butchered the moment they're trained. Next time she needs new clothes, I hope to outfit her entirely in buzzard leather. Oh, and one corner of her fabulous quarters (founders get special perquisites) is a couple of stockpiles: a barrel of wine between two buzzard skull totems. I like to imagine she drinks from them.

A bunch of civilians finally retreated from a nigh-invincible zombie weasel, whose whole body is now basically a mass of scar tissue. Luckily, they led it over the cage traps. Sadly, the skulking necromancer who raised it got seen and fled the map before being captured.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #42412 on: July 15, 2015, 10:27:03 am »

Oh dear Armok the Keas and vultures they're stealing everything get away you thieving little bastards! >:(

I have said it before and I will say it again.

move your stuff inside. entrance should be one tile wide and tall. length is irrelevant.

libe with cage traps. all keys that try to enter are captured and trained
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42413 on: July 15, 2015, 12:51:46 pm »

A gremlin came creeping out of the caverns, but was discovered before doing any harm (that I know of). Similarly, an FB came flying out of the access shaft before I could get it sealed up, but was dispatched by a miner in a single swing of his pickax as it was composed of water.

A werelizard attacked. He only scored a single kill, a cat who at least managed to slice him a few times before being torn to shreds. The military ran out and bashed him to pieces with their hammers but one Hammer Lord was bitten in the upper arm (breastplate and gauntlets but no shirt). He was promptly sealed up in the hospital while I prepared a refuge for him.

He now lives out in a private villa in the courtyard. It's near my trading post, so I am torn about what to do with him. I will either keep him as a lever-puller / fort-seed, or, in keeping with his military upbringing, use him to slaughter the elves when they arrive in a month or two.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42414 on: July 15, 2015, 10:46:26 pm »

At Picksling, the long slow process of constructing the magma pump stack goes on and on and on. The forgotten beasts rage in their cells and the sky continues to rain bitter mucus, though the dwarves are mercifully sheltered from both by layers of stone and solidly-built walls.

At Gikenstul Issunbunsothgeshud Amud, an ettin attacked but wandered into a cage trap after tearing up the doors of the upper levels of the fort. No permanent damage was done and no lives were lost. The ettin should be put to good use but it is difficult to imagine how that could be done.

I am in the process of extensively modding the raws (in a copied folder) to add my own variants of Fun. I've gotten through about half of the default files and modded my way through them bit by bit, removing animal people and adding [TRAINABLE] tags here and there. Flesh balls will be [COMMON_DOMESTIC], they breed, and I'll embark with them, I think. Cave dragons should be a bit more common, there are titanic cave crocodile megabeasts that attack really early, and I'm going to build raws for griffins, centaurs, and chimeras, among other mythical beasts that DF is currently missing. Giant desert sand worms would be an interesting project. Any other suggestions are welcome.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42415 on: July 16, 2015, 03:04:34 am »

What kinda mod is it? How about a minotaur, civ, if you have time, I've always wanted to make one of those myself.
One wheel short of a wagon

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42416 on: July 16, 2015, 05:32:49 am »

I designated around 20 trees to get cut down and now 100s of logs are just lying around outside and yet I have 40 idlers with hauling enabled. Those lazy dwarves.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42417 on: July 16, 2015, 05:42:23 am »

but  have you (o)rdered outside hauling?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42418 on: July 16, 2015, 05:45:18 am »

And do you have the million stockpile spaces needed, if you're not quantum piling?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42419 on: July 16, 2015, 05:47:26 am »

but  have you (o)rdered outside hauling?

Of course my good man, never disabled outside hauling in the first place. The emergency doors are wide open, military dwarves are on patrol, and i even set up temp wood storage near the fort entrance.

And do you have the million stockpile spaces needed, if you're not quantum piling?

I am quantum stockpiling, and the "taker" stockpile is 5x5 so i should see 25 dorfs running out there collecting wood, and yet only 4 are.

I'm about to df-hack fastdwarf this.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 2826 2827 [2828] 2829 2830 ... 3842