Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2827 2828 [2829] 2830 2831 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119406 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42420 on: July 16, 2015, 07:24:49 am »

but  have you (o)rdered outside hauling?

Of course my good man, never disabled outside hauling in the first place. The emergency doors are wide open, military dwarves are on patrol, and i even set up temp wood storage near the fort entrance.

And do you have the million stockpile spaces needed, if you're not quantum piling?

I am quantum stockpiling, and the "taker" stockpile is 5x5 so i should see 25 dorfs running out there collecting wood, and yet only 4 are.

I'm about to df-hack fastdwarf this.
Did it get turned off by accident?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #42421 on: July 16, 2015, 09:40:40 am »

Are you using wheelbarrows?  You said four dwarves were hauling, so I'm not sure on that, but DFHack does increase the maximum limit on wheelbarrows per stockpile from 3 to...looks like an arbitrary value based on the stockpile size.  If you have the stockpile set to use wheelbarrows, only as many dwarves as you have available wheelbarrows for that stockpile will haul stock. 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42422 on: July 16, 2015, 09:53:51 am »

My bathtub picked up the FB extract off the weapons of the warriors and body of the one dyer whose only injury was a bruise.

Cue every damn warbeast we have running to swim in the bathtub and then everybody getting pissed their pet died.  And soon everybody getting pissed I wasnt prepared to bury all 20 or so of the dead dogs and stray cats.

Speaking of stray cats, not 1 cat in my fort has adopted an owner.  I've been culling the population in a random fashion, but there's maybe 10 or so living?  So my broker has no conversational skills and my cats aren't getting owners. :|
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42423 on: July 16, 2015, 10:27:02 am »

Embarked next to a thriving goblin civ and a heavily populated tower.  RNG suggested "Breachedcrypts" for the name... so I expect heavy undead action.  Iron and flux are on the map, as is coal.  Let the party begin.

First FB showed up as well... a dusty humanoid made of coke.  If only I could send it back to Wall Street!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42424 on: July 16, 2015, 11:18:00 am »

At Picksling, the long slow process of constructing the magma pump stack goes on and on and on. The forgotten beasts rage in their cells and the sky continues to rain bitter mucus, though the dwarves are mercifully sheltered from both by layers of stone and solidly-built walls.

At Gikenstul Issunbunsothgeshud Amud, an ettin attacked but wandered into a cage trap after tearing up the doors of the upper levels of the fort. No permanent damage was done and no lives were lost. The ettin should be put to good use but it is difficult to imagine how that could be done.

I am in the process of extensively modding the raws (in a copied folder) to add my own variants of Fun. I've gotten through about half of the default files and modded my way through them bit by bit, removing animal people and adding [TRAINABLE] tags here and there. Flesh balls will be [COMMON_DOMESTIC], they breed, and I'll embark with them, I think. Cave dragons should be a bit more common, there are titanic cave crocodile megabeasts that attack really early, and I'm going to build raws for griffins, centaurs, and chimeras, among other mythical beasts that DF is currently missing. Giant desert sand worms would be an interesting project. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Try adding the [THICKWEB] token to large webslingers.  And [AMBUSHPREDATOR] to those kind of critters.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42425 on: July 16, 2015, 12:03:43 pm »

What kinda mod is it? How about a minotaur, civ, if you have time, I've always wanted to make one of those myself.

It's not meant to be a total conversion; more like the Modest Mod, to fix some bugs (or things I consider to be inconsistencies) and add some content that might challenge me a bit more than the normal vanilla, because I'm pretty sure I've solved that riddle already.

Try adding the [THICKWEB] token to large webslingers.  And [AMBUSHPREDATOR] to those kind of critters.

I guess that would include giant variants of spiders and the GCS, right? Is that it, or are there more webslingers in game that I'm not aware of?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42426 on: July 16, 2015, 12:10:22 pm »

I ended up flooding my fortress with magma. The wages of dwarven laziness.

It was actually an accident, but I rolled with it. Didn't realize the temp holding door wasn't magma-proof.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42427 on: July 16, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »

Spider men.

But adding predator tokens to critters is fun.  And so is NAT_SKILL tokens.
PKs DF Mod!

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42428 on: July 16, 2015, 01:13:34 pm »

Cudgelgirders suffered its first loss. One of the original seven attempted to make something at the carpenter's shop and I apparently didn't have the proper materials. He wanted gems, leather, and wood, but apparently not the particular kinds of gems, leather, and wood which I have in excessive abundance.

Instead, he went insane, grabbed a copper ax, and attempted to fillet a war dog. She took exception to this and they began fighting in the corridor. The dog actually put up a pretty good fight, despite losing a couple toes and a bit of meat off her hind leg. The scuffle continued until the insane carpenter tried to decapitate a wandering presser, gashing him in the back of the neck. The presser was whisked away to the hospital where he was stitched up as the armorer dashed in to knock the carpenter unconscious. At this point everyone took turns battering the unconscious lunatic in the head until a miner happened by and finally ended the whole business by pinning his brain to the floor with his pickax.

At this point I realized I had not prepared any tombs, so the mining squad got some extra work shortly after.

No one seems too upset. My greatest fear was the military would start in-fighting or attacking the general population due to a misplaced blow on someone's part, but they stayed out of the whole affair.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42429 on: July 16, 2015, 03:41:39 pm »

A stray war dog single handedly puts down a Cave Croc.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, it didnt score the kill, but the croc was disabled to the point of neutrality.
  Its moments like this that make me wish I could name the critters or assign specific ones to a dwarf.

Pedit:  Some jerk came by and took it off to pasture.  It woke up as a carpenter was nearby and nommed him. >:(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:52:33 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42430 on: July 16, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This just says it all.

The deity of death, blight, the rain and TREES.

The dwarves know the deal.  Yes, they know it all too well.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42431 on: July 16, 2015, 05:15:13 pm »

A stray war dog single handedly puts down a Cave Croc.
hay i saw a dwarf child one shot a GCS, ya a GCS so cave creatures dont scare me that much any more...

also i am attempting to start the construction of a "Arena".
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42432 on: July 17, 2015, 06:00:08 am »

There was a save attached to http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151968.0 this thread, and since i had been looking at it (hauling is by default higher priority than designation work, and burrow conflicts can perma-spam unfinishable haul jobs, so designation jobs never start) i just carried on with it for a while.

I actively encouraged the raging (zombifying) prafane soot contamination and got lucky - exactly one dwarf was left after a while and all zombie forces were outside, punching each other. So i just locked the place and let the solitary farmer clean up. Since the whole population had been wrestling zombie weasels for several months, she like many others was a legendary fighter, wrestler and striker and fully tragedy-hardened. Consequently, she happily packed away all the corpses, memorised those whose bodies were unreachable and eventually made it to legendary engraver. Thing is, there's just not much interesting to do with a hermit (no need to worry about food, she was set for 50+ years) and the sole remaining zombie of significance was her sweetheart, the miner, who kept wrestling a solitary zombie weasel for years. Would have been interesting to find out what skills and stats he must have had.

What let me abandon the fort without trying anything fancier was FPS decay - on a 1x1 embark, with one dwarf and two zombies, FPS crunched from 100 to under 20 in three years. I've no idea what did that, i tend to have ~ 30 FPS with 60-dwarf forts on 4x4 embarks with thick tree cover.

Just out of interest, i went and "reclaimed" the place. The group stood around stupidly and couldn't decide to do anything while a zombie fisherdwarf waltzed up and bashed them to death with a woollen dress. BTW: zombie fisherdwarf, unknown combat skills, bashing things with a dress, unarmoured - 1; caravan guard Hammerdwarf, presumably moderate skills (adequate to skilled?), standard metal armour and warhammer - 0. More impressively, the zombie also killed both draft animals via punches and bashes with a soft object.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42433 on: July 17, 2015, 06:02:18 am »

I think retire==>unretire can solve issues like that.

Anyway, finished good useless crap production is going at full steam, while most animals are being slaughtered to bring down lag, and a murder-room for prisoners is being constructed. The only species to fully escae the cull will probably be cats and dogs. I have a feeling that I'll be able to offer enough to become the mountainhome next season, and I already have the king, so a few hundred crafts and totems and clothes and prepared meals should win me the title. I actually hope the requirements are something inordinately extravagant, as a fitting climax for the rise of my fort.

EDIT: Right after I get all my trading sorted out, that mofo Rushan, a flame FB that destroys my FPS, turns up, and I have to savescum. I could take him, but he sets the caverns on fire, bring my FPS down to 2.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:44:47 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42434 on: July 17, 2015, 08:45:15 am »

The elven diplomat has arrived with news from her civilization, and it's hard to not laugh. Apparently, another elf who was kidnapped by goblins has risen through the ranks to become some sort of warlord, and is now conquering elven settlements left and right.

But hey, the diplomat's second daughter has become queen; that's gotta count for something, right?
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]
Pages: 1 ... 2827 2828 [2829] 2830 2831 ... 3842