Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2694 2695 [2696] 2697 2698 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111625 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40425 on: March 19, 2015, 06:52:12 pm »

Went to a different world than Tiredstaves for now... My one op vampire dwarf just showed up as a migrant... Kill him, keep him in a cage... Decisions, decisions...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40426 on: March 19, 2015, 07:00:37 pm »

With the aid of the miners, the po'tun bastards are all dead. They basically made it a system of "Hammerman gets punched in the face once or twice while the rest of us poke holes in the tiger people with sharp things." All three down and out, allowing us to explore a little. Time to discharge the miners, and have them get to fuckin' work.

We have a cavern to reshape.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40427 on: March 20, 2015, 04:42:53 am »

One of my wrestler just attacked a FB Poisonous Anteater and the first thing he did was to bite its left eye and torn it. Hum ... poisonous beast, you dumb-ass.
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40428 on: March 20, 2015, 09:54:10 am »

New embark, this time clear path to a goblin civ/forress 1 region tile in the west, with no brooks, no stream, no river, in between, just woods. 
And a bonus necro tower 2 region tiles in the east. 

It has aquifer, so I embarked with 40 bauxites to make at least 32 mechanisms. 
20 rutiles to complete my "red and purple" theme decors. 

Embarked with 10 cassiterite + 10 malachite, and Armorsmith+5.  I now have 40 bronze bars and starting to build 4 sets of bronze: mail shirt, gauntlets, high boots, helm, greaves, and breastplates.

Above ground walls was priority and 2-z walls were up before Summer.

Summer necro siege did not disappoint! 1 necro, 4 undead, +2 seemingly independent zombies that did not follow the necro.
I only had 1x3 traps each in the North, South, and East (Depot).
Necro beelined to the north and was captured first.
1st zombie captured, but the 3rd trap is in the wrong angle, so I forbid the hatch.
zombies moved west then south to the other set of 1x3 trap + hatches.
2nd zombie trapped, but diagonal path to hatch is risky, so forbid that and unlocked East.
Perfect, zombies moves east so I One-step it, until zombie lines up a straight path north to trap.
With some micro management, I captured 1 necro + 4 zombies from 6 cage traps.

Siege was over, when the +2 zombies stayed on the north map edge and left. 

Herbalist gathered so much plants, that focus to cook was late.

Autumn, only 5 barrels full of prepared lavish meals, worth 15.000 urists.
Trade went well for more food items, gems, glass, bars, blocks, bags, cloth, leather, animals, steel anvil, and a few select steel items and iron items.

Aquifer breaching also started, and plan to use multi-pump instead of double slit.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40429 on: March 20, 2015, 10:06:53 am »

My Militia Commander/Axedwarf has, as far as I can tell, in his entire military history made two attacks that have not severed body parts (and both were mortal blows to the torso) and killed no enemies by means other than one-shot decapitation.

Anyway, the troglodyte menace has been soundly thrashed. I don't know how, but one of my swordsdwarves managed to execute a stab that took the head off a troglodyte.

Edit: this is getting uncanny. My MC has nine kills, more than half of which are clean decapitations. Also a troll just put a gemsetter in a half-nelson and threw them. Time to get a doctor for that shoulder.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:13:35 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40430 on: March 20, 2015, 10:30:12 am »

I embarked on a 120-z level tall joyous wilds mountain. Lots of possibilities, i'm not really sure what I'm going to do yet. There is limonite, native silver, and lots of native gold.

I probably should have brought an animal trainer for the giant chinchillas who seem to be the only creatures here right now.

You can see in this picture the dwarves were placed on a tiny spur at the very tip of the mountain (sans wagon):

(My multilevel is set to 15 levels by the way, to give an idea of how steep that is.)

It's a narrow 1x3 embark so there might not be a way down. It might be easier to just build a staircase to the bottom. I did a small embark because I usually slow down around 40 dwarves. I'm going to try and do a more compact FPS efficient fortress this time. It will be necessary because that's where the only soil is (clay loam rocky wasteland).

I would also like to try and minimize vomit this time around :\

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40431 on: March 20, 2015, 10:56:30 am »

Wereantelope came. Killed a mason and bit several dwarves without drawing blood, until this gem came up:

"The Swordsdwarf bites the Wereantelope in the right upper leg, tearing apart the skin and bruising the bone!"

Man bites dog!

No points for guessing what the militia commander did when he showed up.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40432 on: March 20, 2015, 11:33:08 am »

The second siege had 29 goblins.

Good news: they spawned on the frozen sea in early spring
Bad news: they moved away just before the ice thawed

The elven diplomat came, then the caravan. I selected a wood training axe by mistake when I was trying to sell all those tattered clothes to them. Had to kill them again, sorry.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:37:48 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40433 on: March 20, 2015, 11:43:10 am »

You can see the situation more clearly without multilevel view :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My game crashed twice (is that a common occurence when there are extreme surface z-level features?).

Decided to go back to 2D rendering in case that was the problem.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40434 on: March 20, 2015, 01:22:32 pm »

You can see in this picture the dwarves were placed on a tiny spur at the very tip of the mountain (sans wagon):

I seriously hate when it does this.  My base embark is always 1 or 2 picks and an anvil and nothing else, so I freakin NEED the wood from that wagon.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40435 on: March 20, 2015, 07:13:12 pm »

Sometimes embark with 1 block or stone can save the day.
For example, when there's clay and sand and an aquifer.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40436 on: March 20, 2015, 07:51:16 pm »

Really?! Huh. I always go with picks, anvils, food/drink, and pets. Never wood, stone, or ores. Why are they useful?
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #40437 on: March 20, 2015, 07:56:10 pm »

Really?! Huh. I always go with picks, anvils, food/drink, and pets. Never wood, stone, or ores. Why are they useful?
It means you have some guaranteed raw materials to use after embarking. So, for example, in case your embark only has gold or silver and no useful metals for military, bringing some tetrahedrite and cassiterite ores means you'll at least have some access to bronze grade metals.

Or if your embark has an aquifer, bringing some stone means you have some fireproof materials for making kilns, smelters, or using them for mechanisms. Same with bringing wood in treeless embarks.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40438 on: March 20, 2015, 08:53:03 pm »

Thanks dude!!  :D

See I am just SOOO smart. I connected my roof to the side of a cavern hill. Soooo the three forgotten beasts came in, well two did. Ones still fighting but the other is dead. Pretty easy actually. See? Thats how AMAZINGLY smart I am. I disgust even myself with that. By Armok! Building a floor bridge by accident just for the fraking monsters that are/have scared the ever living CRAP OUT OF ME!! Sorry, I am.....Uh.......Agitated.  :P
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40439 on: March 20, 2015, 09:16:08 pm »

Torish was its name. The Crown.

Onol-kor on one side, elves on the other. The Barricade of Canyons was sapped. The Crown would be a bulwark, or if needed, a last stand.

The first year ends with crops sown. potatoes, strawberries, and cave wheat. Wild water buffalo are hunted and slain to supplement a fruit-heavy diet and provide bones for the summer caravan from the northern humans. A granite wall and shale tower rise. Four warriors have basic arms of bronze.

Torish stands strong.

Spring arrives. Two kobolds end up on the receiving end of Commander Olin's Pernach He has become the lover of shield-sister Minkot, who leads in kills. I guess he likes ladies who can kick his ass in a fight. First party was had, and production of trade goods finally begins. The goat herd begins to grow, and so the nannies are taken for milking. The next boxes are set, and hens sit down to breed.

I worry about complacency. The gates are rigged, in the event of an attack.

Migrants come, among them a peasant seeking to make a name for himself on the field of honor and horror.

Torish stands strong.
Pages: 1 ... 2694 2695 [2696] 2697 2698 ... 3842