Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2608 2609 [2610] 2611 2612 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102409 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39135 on: January 14, 2015, 10:59:20 pm »

Well I reload a backup save.
The only dorf of my fort managed to create some wealth to by her self a pair of copper gauntlets, a bronze helmet, a steel battle axe and some cloth and leather.

After 3 years without migrants, a long jeweler knocked on the door.
"Your quarter is on the top level, the nice granite house that is." A voice came from behind the door. "There's a lever by the door, don't touch it."

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Burts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39136 on: January 15, 2015, 11:43:53 am »

fort currently on its 4th year, spring. All is going well, only metal i found is silver, so made lots of silver warhammers and imported some copper iron and steel armor for my dwarves.

Wealth is almost 1 million dwarf bucks. Only type of fun was a minotaur that smashed a dwarf, horrible wounded another one who died later and got killed shortly.

Interestingly enough, one of the migrants that came to my fortress was already insane, he died shortly later.
A hunter died after trying to hunt a giant wolverine. Now all my hunters are excellent markdwarves, and can easily take down wolveirnes in a couple of hits.

Had a couple of cave crocodile and giant olm attacks. But they didint kill anyone.
Another minotaur came in, but this time i have got a millitary of 20 decently armed and trained dwarves, so he shouldn't be too much of a threat.

No goblins so far, checked legendsviewer and its probaly because all the goblins are very busy fighting humans and elves, and are also very far away.
Kobolds apparently were wiped out very early in worldgen by a dragon.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #39137 on: January 15, 2015, 01:03:33 pm »

Still in the first year, no military, no steel yet, and...

Spoiler: Large Image (click to show/hide)

Well... My first Forgotten Beast...

This should be ‼FUN‼

"Urists and Gentledwarves: This is your overseer speaking. I would like to inform you that ALL passage to the outside is forbidden until this ugly guy gets bored and wanders off. Or until we get traps set up and steel made."

I hope Forgotten Beasts can't break down doors... Oh, never mind. They can.

Well...

Update: Well, that was quick! And thankfully minimal casualties.

The only casualty was my immigrant carpenter, who was outside looking for wood.
RIP Kol Hoistedbells, Carpenter.
Straight after that, the FB turned into a human and wandered off the edge of the map.
Now to check the others for emotional trauma.

Update: Uh,oh... He had a wife...
Spoiler: Grieving Missus (click to show/hide)

I don't want to lose another fort to a tantrum spiral.

Update: Ok, she seems to be the only one affected. This shouldn't be too bad.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:47:26 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39138 on: January 15, 2015, 01:48:24 pm »

The remaining four dwarves of Gangtours dug deeper into the rock salt, carving out what would become either their salvation or their tomb. They moved the food out of the main passage into the new stockpiles. Stockpiles... these rooms were supposed to be barracks, but with so little time to prepare, they would have to do for now. Any militia they had lay dead upon the ground above, anyway; they would not care what became of their rooms.

The two miners were kept busy, always expanding the few tunnels and rooms into something resembling a rational floor-plan. The woodcutter and farmer quickly became jacks of all trades, planting fields, brewing booze, working in the mechanic's shop, and everything else which ordinarily would have done by at least three more able bodies.

As soon as there were three available mechanisms they linked a lever from the main hall to the bridge in the tunnel entrance. When The Overseer deemed it safe, they tore down the wall which had previously sealed off the underground from the dangers above. As soon as the deconstruction finished, they retreated once more, slamming the bridge shut behind them.

Several weeks passed uneventfully before they realized they had to take a chance on venturing out into the world if they hoped to do more than just survive. With the undead falcons nowhere to be seen, perhaps this was the best time for a such an endeavor. Only three horrific undead could be identified in the area. Two, a dead turkey and dog, were high up in the mountains, apparently oblivious to any activity down below. The third, a massive war dog whose brains had been dashed out, was preoccupied with slowly shaking an elephant to death over a period of weeks with little progress.

Bravely, they pulled the lever, opening their meager, indefensible halls to the dangers of the world. They rushed out, gathering as much wood and scattered supplies as they could carry. In what was perhaps the only stroke of good luck they had been allowed so far, they found one of the turkeys from the wagon still alive. A hen, too! The egg industry was on its way, increasing their slim chances of survival just enough to be cause for rejoice.

With their supply of wood for barrels sufficient for the time being, they slammed shut the gate and returned to the daily routine of preparing the fortress for the incoming migrants. Whether the migrants would make it past the undead terrors above when they got there, that would be a different matter.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39139 on: January 15, 2015, 03:06:11 pm »

Heard the expedition leader say "I made a new friend. I'm very fond." in the combat logs, right after he strangled a monkey.

Apparently I have a monkey problem.

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39140 on: January 15, 2015, 03:19:11 pm »

I made a hospital zone and now I'm a bit worried. Is the old thread glitch still a thing? Like thread will keep being brought to the hospital despite the settings saying "you're at max?"

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39141 on: January 15, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »

No, I think it's fixed. You can also try to safeguard against it by not overindulging with containers.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #39142 on: January 15, 2015, 05:55:15 pm »

-Fine Story-
No, those are not FB, those are WB, as in Werebeasts. It is a werewolf, but with camels. Forgotten beasts are way more powerful.
You might get more of those in no time if your dwarves fought it.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39143 on: January 15, 2015, 06:32:07 pm »

"The Bronze Colossus Etest Tobulenkos Tobot Kon has come! A gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem!"

Well... I think I'm a bit of trouble there...

Overseer to all dwarves! Pull the lever and seal us in! No, I don't care that that means sealing the human caravan in with us, we won't last against that thing but we can certainly kill off the pesky humans if they get upset enough.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #39144 on: January 15, 2015, 06:39:30 pm »

Nah, send the humans to fight the bronze colossus, they may even fight alongside dwarves as allies and comrades in hardship.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39145 on: January 15, 2015, 06:49:47 pm »

Turns out I was wrong. Bronze Colossi can climb over 1 z-level high wooden walls like they're nothing. I've got about 5-6 casualties, including two recruits and the mayor. Most of the rest of the civilians have evacuated into the wooden keep, but its wooden doors won't protect them for long if the militia and the two human guards can't stop the colossus.

Hey, this could be the first Fortress I've have actually lost!

*Edit*
And the recruit Atir Udilusan got the finishing blow with his masterwork steel short sword! The fortress is saved!

Now time to clean up the mess...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:53:35 pm by Urist McShire »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #39146 on: January 15, 2015, 06:59:28 pm »

Nice turn of events! How many guards died?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39147 on: January 15, 2015, 07:04:38 pm »

Two recruits fell and I'm pretty sure a human merchant, as well as probably four or six civilians. I'll have to do a final casualty count later, but I don't think my hospital will see too many patients; most of the dwarves the colossus got its hands on got their heads punched into exploding gore.

Time to start churning out gold sarcofogi and dig a burial chamber for those who fell during the attack.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39148 on: January 15, 2015, 08:10:08 pm »

I finally took the plunge into the terrors of heavy testing. With power, i.e. with the full progression rules and everything. Annnnnnd...

Everything works! Three bugs popped up in the basic function tests: i neglected to install a self-off in the "store" decoder, so the first run went off the rails. I forgot to remove tracks under a bunch of transmitter rollers in the adder, so once again, first run went off the rails. I forgot to link one "read" hatch to the actual read signaller. It's linked _somewhere_, i've no idea where. We may never find out... On the flip side, there's only one function that could actually malfunction due to the last error - "load from register", and only when targetting that exact register and only if that particular bit was off and the bit in the storage target on.

The first actual program test showed a rather egregious oversight - totally forgot to link one input register to one line of adder gears. Took several runs before i managed to spot it, but that was easily rectified. And one cart _somehow_ overspeeds when the bit is on, while several other carts using the exact same configuration don't. <shrug> i downgraded the roller from highest to medium and that was that.

Test program: multiplication. Factor 1 in Register A, Factor 2 in Bf (buffer/transfer).
Program:
-store Bf in Register D (counter)
-copy Rg. A to Rg. B (direct copy through the adder)
-decrement Register D
-Add Rg. A to Rg. B, store result to B (normal operation of the adder)
-decrement Register D, check for zero
-Jump to #4 if not zero
-Halt

Spoiler: Program code (click to show/hide)

The result ends up in register B.
I multiplied 35 (reg. A) by 12 (counter). All results (intermediate and final) were correct, final result was 420 (01101 00100). It took a few weeks, yes.

PS: and the "nanocontroller" device also works - writing to output when the buffer's sixth bit is on, seventh off and eight and ninth are inequal, the pumps activate and supply the watercannon with ammo.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:27:13 pm by Larix »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39149 on: January 15, 2015, 08:11:04 pm »

Founded a new fort.
Soon after piercing the stone layer, I discovered the fort has access to all three iron ores - magnetite, limonite, and hematite abound.
Pages: 1 ... 2608 2609 [2610] 2611 2612 ... 3842