Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2607 2608 [2609] 2610 2611 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102426 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39120 on: January 12, 2015, 05:20:33 pm »

So my latest fort is entirely aboveground, and situated at a narrow isthmus connecting a small island with a necromancer's tower on it to the mainland (I noticed a site like that and couldn't resist.) It's been 3 years, and not a single peep has come out of the tower since a trio of zombie humans went traipsing across the northwest corner (where the island is) and promptly disappearing. Today, 7 Felsite 106, that has changed. An enormous horde, almost 90 strong, entered the map from the Northwest, and marshaled their forces on the western beach near the pier I use for fishing. I readied the militia and called all the civilians into the castle, ready to hold to fort. But they never attacked. After they had rallied on the wharf, they just kept on marching south. A single squad lingered on the map for a little longer than the rest, then they went off with the rest. WTF just happened? Did I see an army marching through my city to invade another site?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39121 on: January 12, 2015, 05:26:34 pm »

Most likely. With no resistance from you they felt no need to attack, and hence buggered off to do whatever thier bosses wanted done.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39122 on: January 12, 2015, 08:22:46 pm »

To celebrate my fort reaching 3 million dwarfbucks in wealth the goblins decided to throw me a celebratory siege! YAY!  :D

First, we need to see the guest list. How many will be attending?

Spoiler: Guest List (click to show/hide)

Good! More guests = more FUN! A bunch more showed up late to the party as well.

Here they are! Let's send out the welcoming committee!

We have the Palisades of Living that will be giving out candy short swords and The Future Trades will be giving out assorted metal bolts!  ;D

I had the swordsdwarfs holding the front line while the marksdwarves stand in back and deliver a deadly rain of bolts. It was surprisingly effective. One swordsdwarf died (a newbie recruit, so no worries) and a few marksdwarves got shot and killed. I didn't think any would survive when I saw two pages of invaders.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39123 on: January 12, 2015, 09:05:28 pm »

In DF universe, an elite soldier with decent equipments can kill tens of recruits without receiving a scratch. In real life, hardly, unless those are weaponless commoners.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39124 on: January 12, 2015, 10:22:05 pm »

The caravan form mountainhome came.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39125 on: January 12, 2015, 10:56:38 pm »

After that giant horde of zombies marched across the map, I decided to construct a wall across the isthmus to better contain the zombie threat. When it's done it should be 3 z-levels high with earthworks in front and ceilings to prevent sentries from jumping the fence to try to beat the zombies to death with their crossbows.

Even this early in the project though, it has been struck by tragedy. One of my brave construction workers just got mauled by a pair of vultures while working on the containment wall. The beasts were dispatched permanently by the hammerdwarf (who, incidentally, had just relieved the victim's wife) that was guarding the construction site but not before they had dealt considerable harm to their victim. The unfortunate worker, called Cerol Arrowbridge, arrived in the first migrant wave and had just recently created an artifact bronze statue. She actually survived the initial mauling and was taken to the hospital. A highly skilled doctor was able to slow the bleeding and patch up some of the damage, but poor Cerol would never walk again and had a host of other maiming and debilitating injuries. She died after about an ingame week in the hospital. It's been awhile since I blinked an eye at what goes on in this game, but that was just depressing. This is what I get for paying more attention to my dwarves.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #39126 on: January 13, 2015, 04:58:51 am »

A giant masked lovebird got into my fort. It got into a fight with my dwarves, who started punching it (without even needing to be drafted!).

However, the dwarven fists were ineffective against the fowl beast. A group of seven dwarves stood there, punching the unconscious thing, for months. They all eventually got thirsty, but they didn't want to stop beating on it.

Finally I got fed up with the "cancelled Give Water: no water source" messages and drafted a bunch of random dwarves to actually attack the thing. (Don't worry, the well is coming soon.) One of the drafted dwarves was apparently a ranger--who had run out of bolts, but was able to beat the giant masked lovebird to death with her (bronze crossbow). Then everyone ran off to the booze stockpile.

Now I look at my unit list and see a dozen flashing names. (They're all...wait for it...Legendary Observers)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39127 on: January 13, 2015, 08:28:34 am »

Heroicstand continues to go along decently. A mess of sandstone and orthoclase I had no use for is being processed into junk decoration.

Migrants come, and with them I can finally set up a fortress guard. Literally a fortress guard. Because anyone else with preexisting military skills got shoved into one of the four other squads. Next migrant wave I know it's going to come. The goblins, or worse, what I have taken to calling an actual test of the Spawn in open battle.

"The big one."

While King Iton's Jackals are elite warriors able to squash spawn easily judging by what they did to an ambush party, the rest of the force's skills are.... Well, lacking to put it gently. I think I should probably expand the graveyard.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39128 on: January 13, 2015, 08:53:25 am »

I started a new 40.24 game on a 1x1 map. I atomsmashed 6 dorfs as soon as the smasher was completed. Then the last dorf inscribed 6 slabs for them. Now he's waiting for migrants, to add new slabs to his collection.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39129 on: January 13, 2015, 08:51:42 pm »

Migrants became too nervous to come after I smashed several waves of them.
Then a Titan came.

The Marsh Titan Ukerudar Katakunib has come!  A huge blob composed of snow.  It has wings and it moves deliberately.

The Marsh Titan attacks The expedition leader but She jumps away!
The Marsh Titan misses The expedition leader!
The Marsh Titan jumps out of the expedition leader's flight path!
The Marsh Titan misses The expedition leader!
The expedition leader strikes The Marsh Titan in the right wing with her (copper pick), breaking away most of the tissue!
The Marsh Titan attacks The expedition leader but She jumps away!
The expedition leader punches The Marsh Titan in the body with her left hand, breaking away half of the tissue!

The Savanna Titan Atul Desisrinal has come!  A gigantic quadruped composed of amber.  It has four stubby horns and it has an austere look about it.  Beware its webs!

The Savanna Titan kicks The expedition leader in the head with its right rear foot and the injured part collapses into a lump of gore!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
The expedition leader is propelled away by the force of the blow!

GAME OVER
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:36:42 am by utunnels »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39130 on: January 14, 2015, 12:34:35 am »

About to start my first above-ground fortress. We're going to slug-it out on the surface like those humans do, mining only for mineral wealth and building materials. This is going to be a challenging undertaking.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39131 on: January 14, 2015, 03:03:42 am »

Tried several time to reclaim the fort but failed.
The amber titan was too strong. It literally 1-hit-KO every dorf with or without armors.

Somtimes the game just ended right away after I unpaused it. ::)

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39132 on: January 14, 2015, 01:49:11 pm »

Seven unfortunate dwarves thought they had found the perfect spot for fun. Neighboring goblins, elves, dwarves, plenty of water, metal, and just a touch of evil. Within minutes, a single dwarf was killed by a goat, rose from the dead, and beat everyone to death with his pants before they could even get a decent tunnel dug for everyone to hide in. Their brave journey had been so short-lived, their names, and the name of their claimed lands, were quickly forgotten.

Another group of brave, but only slightly less unfortunate, dwarves embarked near those dangerous lands and founded "Gangtours the Scales of Hay." They formed a hasty axedwarf militia to defend themselves from the undead terrors, successfully slaughtering a zombified falcon which had attacked the war dogs and peasants. The food, booze, and seeds were all moved inside, safe from marauders. While the miners dug down into the safety of the ground, the rest set about the construction of simple walls and bridges for defense from lesser foes.

The two members of the militia and their war dogs were set upon by another undead falcon, this one far stronger and more dangerous than the last. The axedwarves and dogs fought bravely but were defeated. Several fell in the reaches of the evil biome to rise again and set about killing the turkeys and horses still outside. The remaining four dwarves, the miners and two peasants, walled themselves in with walls of rock salt.

Now would be trapped, but with sufficient seeds, soil, booze, and food to last them until the next expected migration wave. With grim determination, they turned their backs on the sunlight as the last wall fell into place, sealing the underground tunnel, and dug down. Down, deeper, and deeper into the safety of the dark underground, to await the day when they could replenish their numbers and strike back against their undead foes.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39133 on: January 14, 2015, 06:25:46 pm »

Random cave-in (well, maybe caused by some woodcutters) has managed to strike one of my few spearmasters enough to kill him. This is the second death in 4 year fort of 159...well, now of 158... dwarves. Just like fourteen days later, the first goblin siege came. It was called "Siege of Spears". I now suspect that cave-in may not have been a coincidence after all. @_@

But still: 27 dwarves with two-to-three years of training meant those 10 goblins didn't manage to even hit my military dwarves once. Though they killed two citizens who have been too attached to hauling of heavy stones so that they haven't got behind walls fast enough. Time to hope next time goblins take something more formidable.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Apricotius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39134 on: January 14, 2015, 07:37:40 pm »

I *finally*figured out how to get my military dwarves to spar/train properly. So I finally have decent security for a fort that relies on gold/silver crafts for trading. I'm also experimenting with different hall shapes, such as arrangements of symmetrical engraved pillars in certain large rooms.
Pages: 1 ... 2607 2608 [2609] 2610 2611 ... 3842