Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2562 2563 [2564] 2565 2566 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104624 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38445 on: December 07, 2014, 03:57:54 pm »

My original plan was to have Jewelroads be heavily segregated by religion, with dwarfs only interacting with those who worship the same god.  However, I found that much of my fortress is irreligious.  So here's my new plan:

The ruling wealthy elite of the fortress will be the worshipers of The Gold of Emeralds, the god of trade, wealth, jewels, and mountains.  I will treat each one as a the owner of some industry.

There will also be warrior clans that control neighborhoods and industries.  These will be based on family ties, mainly.  (I got this idea when I got several skilled soldiers who were part of the same family.  I made a mother and son militia captains.  Interestingly, the son is married to his mother's younger sister.)

Everyone else (until I think of cooler ideas) will live in poverty or something.  Most of them will work in the fruit/drink industry, but I'll probably be scaling up my mining/metal industry soon.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention, this civilization has been ruled by a goblin King for 200 years.  My dwarfs live far away from the rest of their civilization, so I'm not sure how they feel about the monarch just yet.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38446 on: December 07, 2014, 04:01:03 pm »

Are you set to display more posts per page?
Aye, but I didn't notice the option to set it to a value that would make 774 and 771 make sense.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38447 on: December 07, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »

...My hammerlord vampire just died... A rutherer ripped his face off... He soloed a siege headed by four cave dragons, how the hell did one rutherer decapitate him?!?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38448 on: December 07, 2014, 06:18:51 pm »

My second fort running has been annihilated by legendary weregirraffes.

So many high master iron-helmeted dwarves...
Heads bitten off...
Then when the hyperlegendary champion finished them off at last, the injured all leaped up too.

I just quit DF with my weregiraffe mayor sitting all alone in a pile of rotting militia, complaining to nobody in particular.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #38449 on: December 07, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »

I've decided that I need to daylight part of the permanent habitation levels I'm constructing. This means I need to dig an 8x11 pit from the surface. Fortunately, the place I picked to put it turned out to have a shallower aquifer than the area my main shaft goes through.

The bad news is that with all the water draining below & being pumped out above (four pumps in the power plant, six downhole, and more planned) I'm down to 10-12 FPS.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38450 on: December 07, 2014, 07:12:57 pm »

...My hammerlord vampire just died... A rutherer ripped his face off... He soloed a siege headed by four cave dragons, how the hell did one rutherer decapitate him?!?
Because the Random Number God giveth and the Random Number God taketh away.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38451 on: December 08, 2014, 09:58:24 am »

Moody smith! I made sure he grabbed steel bars. It's a war hammer but it should still hurt quite a bit I guess:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Almost 200k worth and with a pretty picture of my duchess. Guess she'll become a hammer dwarf now! =D

PS: We don't speak of the diorite trumpet... *sigh*
Just kids...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38452 on: December 08, 2014, 10:07:47 am »

Moody smith! I made sure he grabbed steel bars. It's a war hammer but it should still hurt quite a bit I guess:

Almost 200k worth and with a pretty picture of my duchess. Guess she'll become a hammer dwarf now! =D

Steel hammers are as good as silver ones.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38453 on: December 08, 2014, 10:30:14 am »

Steel hammers are as good as silver ones.
Awesome! Now to decide who gets to wield the hammer. I don't want to place my duchess in the first line of my military if I can help it. I need to find a Champion for Graniteprison!
Just kids...

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38454 on: December 08, 2014, 12:24:35 pm »

I finally figured out quantum stockpiles!  This is my temporary setup before I descend into the madness...ermmmm...the hills.

http://gyazo.com/28eb20419835443a486f4d13ac5b9292

I do have a slight question with something that annoys me, since I just set these up for the first time last night.  If the minecart is receiving something smaller than 100%, such as bolts, or furniture...it does not dump automatically.  Last night I set a command for it to dump 1x per day automatically, but I didn't see that happening.  Can anyone expound?  Would the dwarves still be able to get the goods out of the minecart even if it has not yet dumped?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:01:20 pm by BirdBrainf4 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38455 on: December 08, 2014, 03:22:00 pm »

A company of 37 dwarves managing to slay 80 goblins and 24 trolls with only 7 casualities?
My fort had a glitch where random immigrants arrived with stats like the armoks blessing script had been used, so I named them all McLegendary (after the first one, Urist McLegendary) and later named one Urist McTyson after a battle where he grabbed a troll BY THE EAR with HIS TEETH, (and the severed part sails off in an arc... the severed part being THE REST OF THE TROLL!) and flung it ten or so urists away, continued to fight for a while, then casually lets the ear drop out of his mouth while attacking a goblin...

I had two squads of ten dorfs, with the civvies all in leather and wielding crossbows or a hammer, but it took four years before the gobs showed up the first time (only 8 or so) and I got a good 40 or 50 something the next time.
That's Urist McLegendary at the bottom left, smashing stuff with his platinum war hammer Lashblessed, followed closely by Urist McTyson, Cog McLegendary, and I think Ustuth McLegendary. Those four waded through the goblins and trolls and honestly looked disappointed when they ran out of stuff to murder. The troll body off to the left side above the McLegendary squad is the one that got tossed by the ear...

I was finding limbs and teeth and stuff on top of buildings for a while as I gathered all the parts to make a trophy pile:
Most of it later got destroyed when I was flooding the world with magma and accidentally used a little too much...

Zero casualties, but everyone was in full exceptional or better steel, lots of artifact weapons and armor pieces, and the military had been training non-stop for about 4 years by then... so yeah.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38456 on: December 08, 2014, 05:42:18 pm »

Raising snapping turtles for their shells. I really wish you could get more than one shell per turtle based on size. Right now it's just butchering the babies.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38457 on: December 08, 2014, 05:49:57 pm »

A werehyena walked in at the worst possible moment when dozens of civilians were outside collecting fallen bolts and corpses. Two died, including a crossbowdwarf who happened to be the only militia member present for a while and with his sacrifice prevented many more casualties. Four dwarves are hospitalized, including two who are very likely infected. I've walled those two inside their hospital rooms while I see if they transform.

In future I'll post a squad to stand sentry whenever I have any massive hauling operations running at the surface.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38458 on: December 08, 2014, 07:16:29 pm »

So what's up with the large excess of embark points now ? I embarked with 120 booze, 40 wood, five yaks and a decent amount of other animals, ten dogs, more than 40 lye, ten bags, and even a crossbow. And an anvil, and all that is necessary to embark with (3 picks, 1 battleaxe). Also far too many plump helmets.

Granted half the stuff the Play Now! option does is useless to a new fort...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38459 on: December 08, 2014, 07:22:17 pm »

So what's up with the large excess of embark points now ? I embarked with 120 booze, 40 wood, five yaks and a decent amount of other animals, ten dogs, more than 40 lye, ten bags, and even a crossbow. And an anvil, and all that is necessary to embark with (3 picks, 1 battleaxe). Also far too many plump helmets.

Granted half the stuff the Play Now! option does is useless to a new fort...

It's to accomodate stepladders which can be constructed immediately and offer no tangible benefit in 99% of forts.
Pages: 1 ... 2562 2563 [2564] 2565 2566 ... 3842