Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2511 2512 [2513] 2514 2515 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098787 times)

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37680 on: October 26, 2014, 07:37:46 am »

I'm not used to the new climbing mechanics. Just had my entire crossbow dwarf squad climb down from its nice fortified overlook, climb along the wall overlooking a moat (one of them dropped their baby down there along the way), to engage the zombie horde in melee combat. It didn't end well.

And I thought my 1st and 2nd Crossbowsuicidesquad was just acting strange... I found out that my squads had no bolts so that's why they wanted to kick some goblin ass, but it was kinda depressing to see them climbing down the wall, and majority of them managed to break their legs when landing... lost my town thanks to that #whytheyaresoangrywhentheirfrienddies

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37681 on: October 26, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »

There are currently two forgotten beasts in the cavern.
Actually there were three, I just found the multilated corpse of another forgotten beast.

I don't know who killed it since its corpse is technologically inside a underground sea, another FB is currently wandering near the corpse.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37682 on: October 26, 2014, 01:23:59 pm »

Just found out that babies can't drink booze.

I was wondering what was up with that "cancels Give Water: no water source" spam all winter.
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37683 on: October 26, 2014, 02:07:35 pm »

I accidentally flooded my fortress by digging upwards into an aquifer. I fixed it after I flooded all my food...

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37684 on: October 26, 2014, 02:18:38 pm »

Reclaiming Rivertrapped the human town has been more difficult than I thought it would have been.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

24th Slate: sea lamprey from a moat kills my soldier when he crosses a bridge - and he couldnt even land one hit. The town is full of corpses and ghosts start to emerge. Soon I have five violent, sadist and simply murderous spirits haunting my group.
4th Sandstone: ghost rips off an arm from my soldier.
24th Sandstone: a weremammoth arrives, kills my miner and furnace operator by biting their heads off, then it swims across the moat and climbs over my walls like a squirrel. My expedition leader was killed by the beast when it landed. Every limb of his body was crushed, apparently he was used like a club (his head was slammed into an obstacle several times) and lastly his head was bitten off.

I sent in two squads, one infantry and one gathered from hunters. Two of the hunters died before managing to shoot, one was slammed against a spearman and another's body was flung on top of a wall. One spearman died instantly as well. Spearman who was hit by his comrade had his arm ripped off (he died few seconds later), and two others soldiers broke their hands. A hunter lost his legs and died of bleeding.

Soldier who had lost his arm to a ghost earlier hit the beast with his axe, which caused it to go berserk and transform into a dwarf... after that it was kicked and punched to death by my recruits.

I have a feeling this might be a source of serious FUN soon...

Bonus: what on earth happened to him?? This was caused by the beast....

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37685 on: October 26, 2014, 02:29:45 pm »

My current fort has an aboveground vomitorium just for the hell of it. Due to lack of any landmarks (our grand entrance is a bone-studded wooden hatch smack in the middle of a desert) it is just a zone slapped atop the Trade Depot. And despite that it is a merry tint of green all year round. The elves love it. I just imagine it something like this:

Dorven Broker: *rather cynically* well, greetings and all that, now let's see what new you brought this year.
Gay-sounding Elven Merchant: *shoving a cloth bin before the broker* hereby we present you a finest assortment of 100% organically grown plant cloth.
Some random hauler dorf moping around idling: *doubles and goes GLOOOOOOORRF into said bin* 'm sorry lad..
Random Hauler pats the Merchant on the shoulder and wanders away, the Merchant and the Broker both stare silently inside the bin for a minute.
Non-gay-sounding Elven Merchant: I told them these dwarves are drunk 24/7 and they said I'm being crazy!
Gay-sounding Elven Merchant: ... is that corn?

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37686 on: October 26, 2014, 04:16:12 pm »

Ok my first for4 in 40.14 in a serene plains with a stream and  aquifer high savagery and high number of beasts low civs and sites, on an island in the middle of the sea.
  The Embark screen warned me that I might have saltwater crocs show up.
 I brought some dogs, a tomcat 4 sheep and 6 turkeys and started chopping trees, lots of trees, built a large stockade around my starting area covering most of an embark tile brewed booze made wooden bolts and sent my hunter out to do battle with the creatures, so far he's managed to kill one armadillo, and dented up a few unicorns, not a whole lot of food production there. I've built a few step ladders and designated huge gathering zones and have a large amount of fruits and assorted plants and such, even made some sunshine :-) sold it to the Dwarven caravan along with about 100 logs, trade some glass pots full of wine to the elven caravan for a few odds and ends, "no trees were killed to make this green glass, honest, I used coke from this coal that we brought with us". too bad I could not afford their cow, sheep's milk will tend to grow tiresome after long enough.

I removed the multiple births:RARE tag from my female caste and the first birth in the fortress is triplets giving me a total population of 19 , (2 children , 3 babies). The hard coded immigration waves are done. I'm prepared to make this a go even if I get no further immigration. In case supplies get short, the mountain civ raws were modded to allow us to eat anything and anyone, fitting for a Halloween fortress. Seeds are 300 per plant with 30,000 seeds cap, so I'll not be running out of seeds thank you.

The woodcutter managed to get his right foot smashed by a falling log, so I finally dug a small chamber and made a hospital , and some splints. Sheared the sheep and made a rope, cloth and threads and the dwarf is back to doing tasks. Two of my starting 7 just love helping others and have strong sense of duty, so I gave them all the doctoring skills at the start.

I have two z levels before he aquifer starts so I've got 3, 2X2 plots and 3, 2X3 plots created 7 bedrooms the beginnings of a barracks, (has 5 nest boxes in it) a tiny room for the bookkeeper's office and bigger ones for the manager and expedition leader, hospital has a well two chests full of plaster, thread and cloth, 3 beds and a table, the rope, table, and mechanism are made for the traction bench and the lye's been ordered for the soap making. still need to build the furniture for the dining room, 2nd well and  a sleeping area for the ones without a bedroom.

The surface is studded with murky pools so I have less area than you might think, so far only the furnaces and metalworking workshop are underground. I'm currently draining one of the murky ponds perhaps I can grow sunberrys in a above ground plot.

I have all the labors enables on every dwarf with the exception of the hunting woodcutter, doctoring and fishing skills, with 1,2,1,and 1 dwarves getting those skills.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37687 on: October 26, 2014, 04:50:01 pm »

Just came across the adamantine spire. No military, tons of iron, bronze, and steel laying around. Not even a novice weapon or armour smith, but a legendary of all crafters but wood. Hmm... Maybe force a mood or two, then get working on a hell clearing loadout, with drawbridges and menacing spikes and soldiers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37688 on: October 26, 2014, 06:07:56 pm »

New World/Fort in 40.14.
2 years passed already. 90 dwarves, 50 militaries (no exploits and not enough wildlife to train them, so just basic training, maximum is "Skilled" Fighter/Armor user/Weapon user); no sieges yet.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #37689 on: October 26, 2014, 06:31:48 pm »

Preparing to embark for the first fort of 40.14. One of the dwarves' personality page has a quotation (presumably from the dwarf) saying "Be merry!" " He truly values merrymaking and parties, values cunning, and finds romance distasteful.[...] He is a truly disgusting individual who does not care a lick for even the most basic rules of civilized living[...]"

Oh lawd, this game. I've got a party animal for a founding dwarf of my first fortress in 40.14. This. Game.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37690 on: October 26, 2014, 07:54:47 pm »

Native gold in my pumpstack walls. Oh, the dilemma. . .
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37691 on: October 26, 2014, 11:35:36 pm »

Native gold in my pumpstack walls. Oh, the dilemma. . .
Dig it out, then wall it back up with common stone, walls don't burn...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37692 on: October 26, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »

Had a forgotten beast accident. The new thoughts are fun.

Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37693 on: October 27, 2014, 05:39:15 am »

Haha, that's epic. No need to stress or anything as long as beer keeps flowing.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37694 on: October 27, 2014, 07:06:27 am »

Just hit 500 steel bars. Still no weapon or armour smith...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:53:59 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 2511 2512 [2513] 2514 2515 ... 3842