Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2512 2513 [2514] 2515 2516 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099096 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37695 on: October 27, 2014, 07:47:31 am »

In the succession fort I've been playing (I suggest you check it out here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144852.0), a minotaur appeared before I managed to set up a decent military. It quickly slaughtered my marksdwarfs, but before it could invade my fortress a lone hauler by the name of Vatok engaged it in hand-to-hand combat. I expected him to die quickly, but over the course of a few in-game weeks he managed to tire it out, scratch it's guts and then bite it to death.

seriously one of the most unexpected and badass things I've had happen in some time!

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37696 on: October 27, 2014, 08:21:57 am »

OK a pair of years has passed the dwarf that had triplets had twins the next year and was getting quite slow hauling things around but still working, my fortress entrance is a ramp and she was at the bottom of it when some clumsy Dwarf hauling marble to make some steel lost his grip and dropped it on her, crushing her leg killing one baby by pulping the upper body, pulped the right upper leg on two other babies and bruised the guts on the last two, man the JFK bullet did less damage. So I get this popup that 19 has been found dead, I zoom to 19 and find his pulped body, two of his siblings are on ether side of the floor hatch flashing red and two others that just got bruised are further away.
 Momma is resting in the hospital, babies with injuries are not hospitalized and do not get the rest labor so if the typical Dwarven healthcare happens I'm looking at needing 5 coffins, or a feast. but I picked my two doctors that have lovely thoughts from helping others and a sense of duty and they hop right two it with 7 medical jobs being done in a day and a half, momma has her leg in a cast and is hobbling around with a crutch now with 4 babies in her arms. There is still no health care for the two seriously injured babies, <sigh>.
  As I suspected I get no migrants after the hard coded waves, every Dwarf is valued and to be protected.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37697 on: October 27, 2014, 08:41:12 am »

After my 1st squad did not have a scratch, while in a huge combat with forgotten beast (which killed half of my fort by brute force, 120 -> 61, 38 of them were in military), I've nicknamed them all.
One of them has "I have no hope" thought every time I check him, so he is "No Hope" now.
Other lives ordinary life, while not caring about anything, never falling in love (or developing positive feelings), never hating (or developing negative feelings) & being confident under pressure. She's "Everything allright" thought since she got to my fort. She is "I Don't Care".
Third doesn't see any point in working hard, loses focus a lot and has a deep respect of animals. He's "Elf" (hoped he would die on next siege, actually, but he didn't bother to get up from the booze stockpile).

Next one is "Pumpkin". She has pumpkin skin and is incredibly fat, while being little bit weak. She's a hammerer (poor choice :()

Hand-hammer is a dude who came by himself in 3rd migration wave, wielding his hammer and having only "Adept Hammerdwarf/Skilled Armor&Shield user". He loves fistfights, is mighty & tough, is very muscular and has big moustache. In combat reports, I see every 2nd shot of him is kick or punch.

Futurist dislikes natural world, is quite hopeful about the future and loves to debate at abstract level.

Joker is never discouraged, has a huge sense of humor, while being fast to form negative view on things. I think she's very sarcastic piece of ass.
Since she killed the forgotten beast while having her deer pet killed, her thought is "Did you hear one of forgotten beast and the dear?".
I freaking love it actually.

Next one is "No temper". She's cracking under pressure really fast, is stressed for last 3 years and is really angry. While this, she's very brave, very mighty & incredibly tough.

One more was Drunk. The two things listed as his preferences were swords & booze (3 different kinds of). He didn't train alot, partied for ages. But he killed 5 of goblins from last siege, charging to them mindlessly after they show'd up on the map edge (without my order). I think he was very drunk and wanted to kick some asses.

There was one more dude, "Practical". He was killed by his own stupidity right after forgotten beast was slain: he mined a channel that led to 10 z-levels fall. Not sure why did I nickname him "Practical", may be of his thoughts or something.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:44:09 am by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37698 on: October 27, 2014, 11:17:04 am »

A dragon just showed up at my fort. 

With my kids watching in awe, the dragon made a beeline to the entrance of my Keep, flaming my pastured animals on the way.  This served to start a massive brushfire that also shooed away dwarves who were wandering around outside.  I activated my military and ordered them to attack.  Before they could truly respond, the dragon was riddled with bolts from a lone marksdwarf, finished off with a spear to the head from a lone speardwarf.  No deaths as far as I can see, but there is a massive conflagration as the green fields surrounding my fortress turn to ash.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37699 on: October 27, 2014, 01:28:55 pm »

Decided to try out 40.14. It's apple/plum season, and my dwarves have collected upwards of 200 of each from the trees..... dear god, this is a great food/booze source! Screw mushrooms, I have fruit!
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37700 on: October 27, 2014, 06:16:18 pm »

Everyone in my most recent migrant wave is super-stressed after having to leave loved ones behind. red arrows everywhere despite them having nothing but pleasure and bliss since they entered the fort.

The mayor wants querns. Yeah, that isn't going to get obnoxious.

Nerdfighter_619

• Bay Watcher
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37701 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:52 pm »

Just finished my first pump stack, which actually managed to fill the reservoir for my well without drowning anyone. (It came close, though)
Got attacked by a goblin siege, leading to minor injuries on several of my soldiers. I can't seem to train them properly, and one of them died. Also, there's only four of them. I think I'm doing military wrong.
Had a strange mood which produced a pig iron mace. Somewhat disappointing, but at least I got a  legendary weapon smith out of it.
Word Domination: Because everyone needs a hobby.

GENERATION 33:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #37702 on: October 27, 2014, 08:55:14 pm »

Got my first waterfall embark. It's a river with about 5 z-levels drop into to lake which splits into two smaller rivers.
So I set up my entrance to my fort to pass through mid-waterfall about halfway down with a drawbridge. The dwarves have all been "comforted by a waterfall recently".
So my dwarves like the waterfall but if I have invaders I can pull up the drawbridge and I've got an instant built-in moat full of alligator snapping turtles.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37703 on: October 27, 2014, 09:20:59 pm »

Learned that even hammer lords get absolutely murdered by the undead today. Oh well, on to the next fort!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37704 on: October 28, 2014, 04:21:11 am »

After my 1st squad did not have a scratch, while in a huge combat with forgotten beast (which killed half of my fort by brute force, 120 -> 61, 38 of them were in military), I've nicknamed them all.
One of them has "I have no hope" thought every time I check him, so he is "No Hope" now.
Other lives ordinary life, while not caring about anything, never falling in love (or developing positive feelings), never hating (or developing negative feelings) & being confident under pressure. She's "Everything allright" thought since she got to my fort. She is "I Don't Care".
Third doesn't see any point in working hard, loses focus a lot and has a deep respect of animals. He's "Elf" (hoped he would die on next siege, actually, but he didn't bother to get up from the booze stockpile).

Next one is "Pumpkin". She has pumpkin skin and is incredibly fat, while being little bit weak. She's a hammerer (poor choice :()

Hand-hammer is a dude who came by himself in 3rd migration wave, wielding his hammer and having only "Adept Hammerdwarf/Skilled Armor&Shield user". He loves fistfights, is mighty & tough, is very muscular and has big moustache. In combat reports, I see every 2nd shot of him is kick or punch.

Futurist dislikes natural world, is quite hopeful about the future and loves to debate at abstract level.

Joker is never discouraged, has a huge sense of humor, while being fast to form negative view on things. I think she's very sarcastic piece of ass.
Since she killed the forgotten beast while having her deer pet killed, her thought is "Did you hear one of forgotten beast and the dear?".
I freaking love it actually.

Next one is "No temper". She's cracking under pressure really fast, is stressed for last 3 years and is really angry. While this, she's very brave, very mighty & incredibly tough.

One more was Drunk. The two things listed as his preferences were swords & booze (3 different kinds of). He didn't train alot, partied for ages. But he killed 5 of goblins from last siege, charging to them mindlessly after they show'd up on the map edge (without my order). I think he was very drunk and wanted to kick some asses.

There was one more dude, "Practical". He was killed by his own stupidity right after forgotten beast was slain: he mined a channel that led to 10 z-levels fall. Not sure why did I nickname him "Practical", may be of his thoughts or something.
From that squad, only Joker, Pumpkin and No Temper survived the next goblinite mining procedures.
Joker is not a militia commander.
Goblinite wave of 89 different metal ignots have killed 15 dwarves, including half of migration wave.
On the good news, I've got 44 more live & kicking dwarves, only couple of which care of something.
Militia commander is now Joker. Pumpkin was given an axe, and No Temper got himself a sword. Joker & Temper became legendary in blocking & swordsmanship.
My captain of the guard has "Slipped into the depression".
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37705 on: October 28, 2014, 06:52:57 am »

Goblinite wave of 89 different metal ignots have killed 15 dwarves, including half of migration wave.
Question: how on earth you can survive losing so many dorfs? I lose one, ONE, ONE!!! and the rest of my fortress throws a tantrum party and everything is over. It's not like they are socializing too much, as soldiers are... soldiering and civilians are.. hauling stuff. For some reason I fear battles more than I used to, thanks to ridiculous "buhuu we lost one guy against overwhelming enemy LETS DESTROY THIS PLACE LADS".

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37706 on: October 28, 2014, 06:57:48 am »

A part of a tree somehow collapsed, which sent a dust wave over to a mason installing a floor on my aboveground walls, thus knocking him into the river and drowning him.
Heh.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37707 on: October 28, 2014, 08:52:53 am »

Question: how on earth you can survive losing so many dorfs? I lose one, ONE, ONE!!! and the rest of my fortress throws a tantrum party and everything is over. It's not like they are socializing too much, as soldiers are... soldiering and civilians are.. hauling stuff. For some reason I fear battles more than I used to, thanks to ridiculous "buhuu we lost one guy against overwhelming enemy LETS DESTROY THIS PLACE LADS".
No idea. Good food, some statues and lot of work (0idlers) lead to low-to-none friendships and lot of happiness. After 1 more year this fort still has only 1 depressed dude. Overall I've lost about 120 dwarves, I think; the hardest hit was on 1 baby who lost all of her relatives (3siblings and parents) in 1 day. She was stressed for about a year. The guard captain is just nervous, I think he has depression out of that plus a huge amount of tragedy (he got from no tragedy to 100% in 1 fight)
It's mildly depressing.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37708 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:00 am »

A were-ass child 'visited' my fort. A few dead animals, dwarf-children and emergency militia members later, it transformed back into a human child, who promptly gets chased all over the map by my surviving militia.... who seem to actually have some grasp of tactics today, and chased it into a 7/7 pond... whacking it over the head with their copper crossbows and bruising the flesh... and 1 z-level below, I see this:

An unconscious, over-exerted, DROWNING, human child were-ass
I can only imagine the scene.

A peaceful, tropical mangrove swamp wilderness next to the ocean, a slowly growing settlement abruptly disrupted by a werecreature visit...

And after said were creature transforms into something less troublesome, it gets chased into a deep pond, where the vengeful militia survivors are furiously drubbing it on the head with their metal crossbows whenever it tries to come up for air. Wow.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37709 on: October 28, 2014, 09:22:19 am »

The third cavern is burning up, collapsing fungal trees and generally destroying everything. The last remaining Forgotten Beast, "Esnust Coastalsoaked the Clam of Fins", is crawling away from the inferno, on fire and melting. What has happened?

Following the trail of Forgotten Beast blood I find four dead Magma Crabs at the other end. Looks like Esnust picked a wrong fight this time.

I should probably send a squad to end its misery...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 2512 2513 [2514] 2515 2516 ... 3842