Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2362 2363 [2364] 2365 2366 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099760 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35445 on: July 09, 2014, 02:13:26 pm »

Punches and kicks seem abnormally good for pulping. As good as, possibly better than warhammers or maces.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35446 on: July 09, 2014, 02:16:27 pm »

Just came across my first autumn in this version. Almost had a panic attack because I mistook the falling leaves for flies.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35447 on: July 09, 2014, 02:40:16 pm »

A woodcutter was chopping down a tree. A weaponsmith was nearby. The weaponsmith was struck by a falling log, took no injures whatsoever, and promptly fled in terror from the vile log. This startled the woodcutter, who ALSO fled in terror.

They both spent a good while running around, climbing trees and jumping out of them.

I find this hilarious.

Can I sig this?

Hehe go for it

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35448 on: July 09, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »

A wearbear attacked my fortress, autumn of year 1.  I had next to no military, just one of the starting 7 with a copper sword and teacher skill.  It quickly slaughtered everyone in it's path as everybody on the surface was apparently frozen in fear.  The sword teacher didn't even get a hit in before she was torn to shreds, and yet somehow almost everyone else on the surface did even worse.

The rampage finally ended when it turned back into a human while going after a potter that climbed the half finished walls in panic.  The potter suddenly got enraged and pushed the wearbear turned human into the river where it drowned.

All the livestock is dead, the masons are all dead, the expedition leader is dead, the military is dead, the miners are dead, the doctor is dead. The fortress is now mostly orphaned children with a few farmers potters and a jeweler.  The only remaining survivor of the original 7 is the carpenter.  Yet the fortress carries on, through the grief and tears.

EDIT: And now, right after all the bodies are buried 2 weeks later, goblin siege.  There is no hope, only death.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:15:07 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35449 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:28 pm »

What I really love is that the kobolds flee in a panic when the fort spots them. This game really gets the small touches just right I love it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35450 on: July 09, 2014, 03:10:58 pm »

What I really love is that the kobolds flee in a panic when the fort spots them. This game really gets the small touches just right I love it.

Like miasma even above ground outside is a thing. Seriously, the stench of death will cause more than one dwarf to drop in abject horror.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35451 on: July 09, 2014, 03:22:57 pm »

A wearbear attacked my fortress, autumn of year 1.  I had next to no military, just one of the starting 7 with a copper sword and teacher skill.  It quickly slaughtered everyone in it's path as everybody on the surface was apparently frozen in fear.  The sword teacher didn't even get a hit in before she was torn to shreds, and yet somehow almost everyone else on the surface did even worse.

The rampage finally ended when it turned back into a human while going after a potter that climbed the half finished walls in panic.  The potter suddenly got enraged and pushed the wearbear turned human into the river where it drowned.

All the livestock is dead, the masons are all dead, the expedition leader is dead, the military is dead, the miners are dead, the doctor is dead. The fortress is now mostly orphaned children with a few farmers potters and a jeweler.  The only remaining survivor of the original 7 is the carpenter.  Yet the fortress carries on, through the grief and tears.

EDIT: And now, right after all the bodies are buried 2 weeks later, goblin siege.  There is no hope, only death.

I wonder if night creatures cause more fear than typical beasts. It might make werecreature militia more viable if they're so terrifying when transformed that all goblins are frozen in fear and can't fight back.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35452 on: July 09, 2014, 03:39:48 pm »

Like miasma even above ground outside is a thing. Seriously, the stench of death will cause more than one dwarf to drop in abject horror.

Woah man, now they have aboveground miasma? I need to get this ported to my home computer ASAP so I can play for a good long time.

This is the best update ever. Man, I thought minecarts were cool, this blows it out of the water, it helps with immersion so much.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35453 on: July 09, 2014, 03:40:57 pm »

Punches and kicks seem abnormally good for pulping. As good as, possibly better than warhammers or maces.

Remember how often a good punch or kick would shatter the bone driving it through the muscles tissue? If I've noticed anything it's that it's slightly harder to kill someone with your bare hands- sure you don't need to specifically focus on the head but their heads are no longer paper thin.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35454 on: July 09, 2014, 03:45:59 pm »

Woah man, now they have aboveground miasma? I need to get this ported to my home computer ASAP so I can play for a good long time.

This is the best update ever. Man, I thought minecarts were cool, this blows it out of the water, it helps with immersion so much.

Yup. It's not visible like underground, but the stench of death coupled with the sight of fresh, rotten, or skeletal remains freaks dwarves out pretty badly, and it appears near fresh or rotten corpses it generates the "was disgusted by miasma" thought.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35455 on: July 09, 2014, 03:48:07 pm »

After slaughtering almost every adult in the fortress the siege ended and the goblins just...left.  I am now down to the carpenter (who was in a strange mood when the siege hit), a farmer and 11 children.  The uncompleted moat was filled with water as a last ditch defense.  It didn't fill in time to stop the goblins from getting inside the fortress (or stop them from leaving for that matter), but now by old pathing rules the interior of the fortress is isolated from the outside world.  And the two remaining adults are cycling from grief to slowly burying the corpses of the fallen.

The meeting hall has become a fight club as the orphaned children constantly tantrum and brawl.  At least there is plenty of food and water.

EDIT: No adults left.  The farmer went berzerk and killed the carpenter then swam out of the fortress.  Waiting for migrants.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:15:00 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35456 on: July 09, 2014, 03:50:36 pm »

Remember how often a good punch or kick would shatter the bone driving it through the muscles tissue? If I've noticed anything it's that it's slightly harder to kill someone with your bare hands- sure you don't need to specifically focus on the head but their heads are no longer paper thin.

Punching someone so hard that their bones break and tear through skin is believable though. Punching someone so hard that their chest cavity implodes into a cloud of gore, albeit being wickedly awesome, seems kinda silly. Especially when these punches and kicks seem to result in pulping even more than hammers or maces.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35457 on: July 09, 2014, 03:53:06 pm »

I just realized the reasons I'm having so much trouble keeping my turkeys in line because they panic when one of them is butchered.

Also there's an endless list of dodged strikes , blocked shots, and caught blows between the militia commander and his speardwarf second in command. It looks like the goddamned matrix, they go back and forth until the speardwarf collapses in exhaustion and then go right back to it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:56:17 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35458 on: July 09, 2014, 04:00:00 pm »

I have discovered dwarves with highly martial personalities (such as actually valuing skill at arms, war, and being a thrill seeker,) will eschew working as much as possible to train even when not Great in a combat skill when assigned to a squad. Any peasants with such personalities should just be assigned and activated without a civvie skill - they won't work often enough to gain it in a quick manner if you assign them to a unit ahead of time unless you feel like waiting for them to become a novice plant poker to get the others training.

On top  of that discovery, it seems that bit of stupidity that resulted in dwarves trying to drill each other in their own separate weapons doesn't happen anymore, making multi-weapon squads viable again like from older version. And my Militia Commander, Squib McChestpuncher, formerly Squib McMassiveCoward is known as The Tuft of Boring for her five kills. I have also found that throwing fresh/rotten corpses in a ditch results in a splatter of blood in the ditch where they land.

I am currently at 33 dorfs, with 7 kiddies, most of them fortress born babies, and have secured some food, drink, arms, and armor by selling off blood spattered bandit pants.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35459 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:10 pm »

I have discovered dwarves with highly martial personalities (such as actually valuing skill at arms, war, and being a thrill seeker,) will eschew working as much as possible to train even when not Great in a combat skill when assigned to a squad. Any peasants with such personalities should just be assigned and activated without a civvie skill - they won't work often enough to gain it in a quick manner if you assign them to a unit ahead of time unless you feel like waiting for them to become a novice plant poker to get the others training.

On top  of that discovery, it seems that bit of stupidity that resulted in dwarves trying to drill each other in their own separate weapons doesn't happen anymore, making multi-weapon squads viable again like from older version. And my Militia Commander, Squib McChestpuncher, formerly Squib McMassiveCoward is known as The Tuft of Boring for her five kills. I have also found that throwing fresh/rotten corpses in a ditch results in a splatter of blood in the ditch where they land.

I am currently at 33 dorfs, with 7 kiddies, most of them fortress born babies, and have secured some food, drink, arms, and armor by selling off blood spattered bandit pants.

Now that you bring it up that's actually resulted in a problem. My two dueling masters both value martial prowess, so much so in fact they won't give up the barracks to their squad mates so I have two badasses and eight nobodies.
Pages: 1 ... 2362 2363 [2364] 2365 2366 ... 3842