Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2360 2361 [2362] 2363 2364 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978583 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35415 on: July 09, 2014, 08:36:08 am »

2nd game and i was noticed about something collapsing on the surface ... but nothing was there .. but a "steam wraith" is show to be missing ...

2 Question for that

1st Question:  What is this and does it need to be found?

2nd Question: Anyone has an idea if it is unwise to dig out tree roots under the earth? Or can it alternately be chopped for wood?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35416 on: July 09, 2014, 08:55:50 am »

I've noticed that when you mine out the roots of a tree, the entire tree vanishes and doesn't drop any logs at all. So I would say, before digging directly under trees, have someone chop them down first.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35417 on: July 09, 2014, 09:28:04 am »

I love the new tree system, I deforested my map and it LOOKS like it's been deforested. I'm beginning to exhaust my charcoal supply so I'm actually happy to see elves for once.

... Who no longer carry wood.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:31:28 am by Broseph Stalin »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35418 on: July 09, 2014, 09:30:16 am »

So i got my first siege in this new version, that happened to be only a group of just a dozen of goblins but that was a start.

My fortress was as usual surrounded by walls and my entry bridge was raised to block the opening.

I made sure that i had not dug any hole or moat around my walls, as my goal was to observe the way the enemy army would climb my walls, and as shown in the screenshot i made the fortress so it does not get into elevations, so it's basically flat ground - wall - flat ground, nothing that should be too challenging for climbers :

Then i waited, the goblins walked after a couple of stray animals that didn't bothered to get into my burrow-designed fortress interior and killed them. After that instead of going to my fortress, the goblins just moved to the west , past my fortress and exited the map.
 Let's say i was very underwhelmed and i must say a bit disapointed.

Anyone had a real siege and not a "passing" army so far, do the goblin really can climb walls now or are they still just as hopeless as in past versions and unless you destroy your own defenses they will never be a challenge ?

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35419 on: July 09, 2014, 09:30:30 am »

those suicide wraiths and ravens sure are persistent .. on my map it constantly explodes in midair :)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35420 on: July 09, 2014, 09:32:18 am »

those suicide wraiths and ravens sure are persistent .. on my map it constantly explodes in midair :)
I think you have
Angry Ravens
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35421 on: July 09, 2014, 09:35:03 am »

Anyone had a real siege and not a "passing" army so far, do the goblin really can climb walls now or are they still just as hopeless as in past versions and unless you destroy your own defenses they will never be a challenge ?

How did you build the walls - out of blocks, or boulders?  Smoothed walls prevent climbing, and I'm pretty sure blocks create smoothed walls.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35422 on: July 09, 2014, 09:39:19 am »

A good way to keep them out unless you want them in is actually BUILDING A ROOF.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35423 on: July 09, 2014, 09:46:56 am »

I just had my boulders from digging down there, that were placed on my stockpile and just made the walls from there, not made them into block first and no smoothing.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35424 on: July 09, 2014, 09:57:32 am »

A good way to keep them out unless you want them in is actually BUILDING A ROOF.
If you aren't fortified against flying building destroyers you aren't actually fortified. Rules haven't changed all that much.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35425 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:59 am »

I think you have
Angry Ravens

nope the logs reads like ...

X takes the full impact .. its left wing shatters and goes off .. etc
10 fold

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35426 on: July 09, 2014, 10:32:02 am »

Haven't upgraded yet, playing out my last fortress on the old edition.

Apparently nobody thought it was worth even mentioning in a report that ZOMBIE HORSES WERE ATTACKING until they were literally inside the main stairway and painting the caravan's guards, and my damn broker, all over the walls with their hooves.

Fortunately we'd just traded for some decent weapons and could handle things, but man. Normally Dwarves never shut up when there's trouble but all those nice drawbridges and walls are useless if nobody, not even the game itself, tells me something's coming to attack us.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35427 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:21 am »

Sparring gives the combat notification instead of the blue one, anyone else experiencing this?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35428 on: July 09, 2014, 11:12:31 am »

Sparring gives the combat notification instead of the blue one, anyone else experiencing this?
I have too. Also wrestling no longer trains abysmally slow!

Guvnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35429 on: July 09, 2014, 11:18:20 am »

A bunch of strange symbols are moving around my screen as I try to learn ascii.
Pages: 1 ... 2360 2361 [2362] 2363 2364 ... 3839