Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2345 2346 [2347] 2348 2349 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102216 times)

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35190 on: June 27, 2014, 12:55:43 am »

My bad feeling was correct after all.

Shorty after posting I got 2 goblin ambushes, one spear and 3-4 bows while the second was full hammers. Unfortunately they attacked shortly before I could finish the strategically placed cave traps, and such, my mechanics were the first to die. A couple others died too, as they were collecting wood ( I wish those freaking idiots dwarfs actually tried to run back into the fortress, not playing tag with goblins )

Despite that, I already had a small setup. There were 3 entrances to my fort. The main one and the caravan ones were locked. All that remained was a 1 wide path full of cages, which majority of the gobbos got caught it... Except 2 archers. For some reason they just stood there and didn't actually try to get in.

Being the genius I am of course I cancelled the alert and sent some random dwarves... That didn't end well. Fortunately the gobbos didn't have that many arrows... So we'll see what happens now.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35191 on: June 27, 2014, 05:07:40 am »

Elven traders arrived, finally with the female leopard to complement the male I already had. Needless to say, I was stoked. Then I was less than stoked when a vile force of darkness arrived. I managed to trade for the two leopards they had before the siege was a problem (they really like killing off all of the chained alarm animals I have out there...which I won't complain about!). I let a squad of gobbos in, pulled the drawbridge, and stationed my military at the entrance of my fort. The traps took most of them, and I re-opened the drawbridge for the next squad. The bridge atom-smashed several into oblivion, and the next round to come in also was disposed of easily. I only lost 3 dwarves.

Side note: I have several caged trolls. Will they destroy buildings if I have them chained for target practice?
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35192 on: June 27, 2014, 05:40:04 am »

I fear the wall of text, but I gotta ask anyways, what are you building with all those mechanisms?

If/when i succeed, i'll be sure to put up the whole wall of text, but currently it's just a collection of unconnected parts. I'm trying to build another dwarven computer (the last official one was in DF2010), but of course much smaller and stupider. I'm mostly inspired by some stuff i read about microcontrollers, so i'm keeping program and data storage apart. And i'm not fiddling with silly concepts as, say, data buses. What do we need a bus for - we have minecarts!

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35193 on: June 27, 2014, 07:33:23 am »

Just had a FB make it into my fort...not sure how really. I think he was a flier, but was relatively easy to take out. He killed a war dog and blue peahen before I noticed him, killed one unfortunate civilian in his way, and then was taken out by two flying alpaca bone bolts. He dropped a bunch of frozen forgotten beast extracts, but I'm not testing those out. I only have one other dwarf in my military now that was involved - ability to grasp somewhat lost. We can manage that. :)
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35194 on: June 27, 2014, 07:39:46 am »

Dear Gruntwhistle the Charm of Suffering:

I realize that you have suffered a great deal of discrimination in the past from your unfortunate resemblance to a giant hairy fly.  I also acknowledge that your habit of moving deliberately gives the impression of a deep and planning mind.  This planning nature was demonstrated recently, when you cunningly waited for all of my troops to go outside the front gate to welcome in the yearly caravan from the mountainhome before leaping out of the well and devouring one of my poor little haulers in the midst of her sponge bath.  You managed to kill one of my dwarves, something it previously took an entire goblin siege to accomplish.  Well struck, my friend.

Unfortunately, due to your lack of previous experience with +5 Legendary Axe Lords, you didn't realize just how fast those little guys could run in full steel.

Enjoy your future career as masterwork roasts and forgotten beast soap.  Largeropes endures.  Hail Hydra.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35195 on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:09 am »

Ownrag has one working atom smasher. Unfortunately, the stuff taken from caged gobbos goes there so I haven't smashed anything yet. The second smasher is close to being done.

We've got another section of the roof for the walled-in pasture plus archery range (against sieges) going...it's slow but moving. I added another 10x10 section of floor on the top level, maybe 1.5 rows are done.

We had an axedwarf in the hospital who survived for 3 months without food or water. She has an ability to grasp somewhat impaired. I finally was able to successfully burrow several medical dwarves in the hospital and she has FINALLY gone from starving/dehydrated to just needing her right hand fixed. Diagnosis is complete and she's been cleaned and is being sutured; after being sutured and dressed, she'll be good to go with some well-deserved R&R time.

Night, all!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35196 on: June 27, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »

End Year 01:

Wall is up, 4 bridges w/levers as well.  We can seal ourselves away from ground invaders now.  The total death count is 2 dogs, a camel, a cat, 3 dwarves.  One dwarf is suffering from a fractured foot, but has been walking around on it for months.  I couldn't spare him.

Weapons are copper but plentiful, armour lessso but still copper.  More than enough to help combat the near constant influx of harpys and ogre and wolverine men and giant wolverines.  Other, smaller critters come by, but because I am sitting on 2 haunted biomes and 2 untamed biomes I always have at least one issue on the map.

We ceased logging trees months ago when I sent my militia commander to constantly standby with 2 friends.  They have proven their worth.  cistern is dug out to catch the water, and we are engraving the decorative pillars before we fill it.  Because the water source freezes for 8 months out of the year we need a store of it.

A large migration wave would be welcome right about now, and I am considering just killing the elves.  We also could use more food.

The fog appears to cause bruising, killing small creatures outright while causing medium creatures to nap.  Large creatures haven't been too affected by it.  I did find out that my second evil biome does have cloud as well, although I don't know what it does.  Neither reanimates, so the majority of my defenses will be focused on the 2 level walls with towers and ramparts.  With all the ogres and stuffs I plan to put cheap doors under the bridges and trap them.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35197 on: June 27, 2014, 01:55:52 pm »

Ownrag has one working atom smasher. Unfortunately, the stuff taken from caged gobbos goes there so I haven't smashed anything yet. The second smasher is close to being done.

We've got another section of the roof for the walled-in pasture plus archery range (against sieges) going...it's slow but moving. I added another 10x10 section of floor on the top level, maybe 1.5 rows are done.

We had an axedwarf in the hospital who survived for 3 months without food or water. She has an ability to grasp somewhat impaired. I finally was able to successfully burrow several medical dwarves in the hospital and she has FINALLY gone from starving/dehydrated to just needing her right hand fixed. Diagnosis is complete and she's been cleaned and is being sutured; after being sutured and dressed, she'll be good to go with some well-deserved R&R time.

Night, all!

If you use the activity zone menu to mouse over an activity zone, you can press A to toggle active/inactive. That makes it very easy to switch between different dump zones while your dwarves are working on different dump tasks. Just be aware that the dump destination is locked in when a dwarf picks up an item for dumping, and they won't change mid-route.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35198 on: June 27, 2014, 02:58:30 pm »

Using DFhack to embark with a tower in the area (as in, there's a tower on the premises) still enables undead sieges, so a crapload of zombies are sieging my fort. The local necromancers are listed as friendly, so I wonder if anyone is with the siege.
Either way, my military is awesome.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35199 on: June 27, 2014, 04:42:18 pm »

Just a minor magma flooding accident. Some of the forges and service tunnels are submerged in molten rock but no one was hurt. I just have to wait for everything to evaporate now : /

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35200 on: June 27, 2014, 06:43:23 pm »

If you use the activity zone menu to mouse over an activity zone, you can press A to toggle active/inactive. That makes it very easy to switch between different dump zones while your dwarves are working on different dump tasks. Just be aware that the dump destination is locked in when a dwarf picks up an item for dumping, and they won't change mid-route.

That's how I got them to start dumping there...the problem is that there is iron armor and weapons there (I still haven't found iron in my fortress, just silver) and I do NOT want those smashed. So I've un-forbid them and am waiting for them to get picked up.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35201 on: June 27, 2014, 07:48:38 pm »

I'm trying to build another dwarven computer

Questions!

• Instruction width? Fixed-length? If so, what size? Variable-length? Other?
  • How many registers? General-purpose or specialized? Accumulator? Load/store or register architecture?
  • Harvard architecture? Von Neumann architecture? Other?
  • Instruction set? Or at least what instructions you think you'll include?
  • What RAM type are you using?
  • What register type are you using?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35202 on: June 27, 2014, 08:13:28 pm »

That's how I got them to start dumping there...the problem is that there is iron armor and weapons there (I still haven't found iron in my fortress, just silver) and I do NOT want those smashed. So I've un-forbid them and am waiting for them to get picked up.
What I do for this problem is have a dumping zone I can flush with magma periodically. It wipes out the xx(wool sock)xx and leaves behind the iron and steel.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35203 on: June 27, 2014, 08:55:02 pm »

Maybe I should go deep enough to get magma...don't have any yet.

Perhaps I should've left a wider road for the traders to enter/exit my fort. Humans left just as my dwarven traders arrived...my road is a windy 3-wide one lined with traps...maybe I'll get free stuff out of this if they scuttle the wagons...

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #35204 on: June 27, 2014, 10:27:21 pm »

First goblin siege at OrganDagger went... messy.

I had no military yet, and since i have ruled drawbridges exploity for myself the entrance is clear. No traps, only a couple war dogs and a cave croc. They didnt last long.

So I did what any reasonable overlord would have done: EVERYONE IS IN THE MILITARY NOW!!

It was only one squad of lashers (i play modest mod, so lashes are not powerful) led by a swordsgobbo riding a jabberer, the croc dismounted him before dying.

I sen the human dorven waves against the goblin leader, 70 against ~15, and after losing a bunch of dorfs the guy was dead, an engarver killed him.

The final count was a dozen dorfs dead, a few animals as well and a bunch of injured.

If the tantrums calm down and I finish prparing the military i will fear sieges no more.

After that the rest of the gobbos retreated and i lost just a dozen dwarves.

[Edit] another siee came with war jabberers and such. This fort fought to the last dwarf standing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:16:45 pm by klefenz »
Pages: 1 ... 2345 2346 [2347] 2348 2349 ... 3842