Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2347 2348 [2349] 2350 2351 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102202 times)

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35220 on: June 29, 2014, 11:16:55 am »

Hell-pit? What kind of capuchin are we talking about - a costa rican, paraguayan or milanese?

Dwarven capuchins. The worst of them all.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35221 on: June 29, 2014, 11:51:18 am »

Let's see...
  • Animals keep getting run over by minecarts
  • Two dwarven children died in a "cave-in" while deconstructing walls to expand the pasture for the billion alpacas
  • Had a few more FBs to deal with
  • More animals to butcher, including dralthas
  • We've tamed dingos and eagles!
  • Moved a squad closer to the caverns to act as a fast-response team
  • More housing is being built
  • And just more damn animals
Seriously.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35222 on: June 29, 2014, 12:17:01 pm »

DF crashed unexpectedly for no discernable reason, causing me to lose two seasons of production on my aboveground fort   >:(
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35223 on: June 29, 2014, 12:43:42 pm »

The militia captain bashes The Hill Titan in the left third leg with her ☼steel war hammer☼, bruising the muscle!
The Wrestler punches The Hill Titan in the left first foot with his left hand, shattering the chitin and denting the muscle!

Really?
That's misleading. The militia captain also shattered the chitin, but it doesn't say that in the combat logs. Check the wounds and you'll see the the left third leg is red.

It was all red, except the stinger, a few log pages back before that. Finally a macedwarf smashed its brain.

The wrestler is still quite badass - he has only one hand and his surname is "Hammerbearded". Ber Hammerbearded the Blockaded Obeisance of Assaults. He doesn't care about anything anymore.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35224 on: June 29, 2014, 01:32:52 pm »

We caught a whole herd of elk birds. Ready the butcher shops!

EDIT: A siege operator walked into a Blind Cave Ogre... It didn't end well. His head was bitten off.

EDIT2: Finally, a giant cave spider has been caught. It only took several years for one to pass by.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:02:11 pm by da_nang »

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35225 on: June 29, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »

Suceeded in training a full squad of steel-clad hammer lords before disaster could strike. Not a moment too soon:

A huge feathered stegosaurid. It has a pair of fan-like antennae and it has bearing. Its dark blue feathers are long and broad beware its webs!

180+ dwarves all dead. I refused to turtle in, so I sent wave after wave of untrained recruits until there was no sane dwarf left.

EDIT: On the plus side, this site is now covered in hill titan silk web.

EDIT 2: Oh my god, this thing is decapitating dwarves left and right with a mere scratch! Hell yeah! 進撃の巨人  8)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:18:31 pm by Sallen »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35226 on: June 29, 2014, 02:25:48 pm »

Anyone know what the maximum distance a GCS can be at to use its web attack?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:28:42 pm by da_nang »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35227 on: June 29, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »

This says 5 tiles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My fort has hit a roadblock of sorts.  I dont know what I want to do with housing or design or anything.  Im kind of stuck on it, actually.

I favor my neat and rigid military design, with myself going so far as to put doors on the right and doorways on the right.  The nobles housing is on the right.  etc.

I have diverged from space efficient designs in favor of more lavish and spacy rooms in general, but Im far from geometric designs for the sake of it.  I think I will actually go for some above ground housing.  why not?  Either way, I still tend towards boxxy rooming.

A diorite fb spawned in C02, and worked it way to the surface via the Topside Access Tunnel.  we, the owners of all of three iron and steel weapons, massed at the closed bridge and curb-stomped it when the bridge lowered.  Punching and kicking reservists as well as the more fruitful stabbers and hackers (although only marginally).  Worst off were the marksmen who only had wooden bolts.  With the nerf in, wooden bolts are distractions at best.  I wonder if its supposed to represent unsharpened bolts sometimes, actually.

Anyway, it got pissed, ripped the nads off one unlucky fellow, and decapitated two dogs.  All in all good, nobody got stung.

Another furnace worker lost to the wastes.  This time to a great horned owl.  defug?  Ill have to dig a proper catacombs in no time, but the S7 rooms will serve well for the moment.  One already rests there, watching over the Great Hall with a Vigilance only those spawned form nothing could.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:00:20 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35228 on: June 29, 2014, 03:14:51 pm »

... Having issues setting up a waterfall and well system without incident. I had one dwarf fall and break their foot while another fell after the cistern had been filled while channeling a tile out. The broken foot has since healed but the second dwarf drowned.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35229 on: June 29, 2014, 05:18:59 pm »

I've been training up my king and queen to be elite crossbowmen by sending live goblins as training targets. Went pretty well until a tame giant cave spider inexplicably showed up and trapped everyone in webs.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35230 on: June 29, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »

"Urist McKing and Urista McQueen cancel Fire Bolts at Goblin: Interrupted by Giant Cave Ninja Spider"

Saladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35231 on: June 29, 2014, 06:05:48 pm »

Anyone know what the maximum distance a GCS can be at to use its web attack?

8 or 9 tiles I think.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35232 on: June 29, 2014, 06:26:43 pm »

I guess that's not the lever for the Gauntlet Bridge.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35233 on: June 29, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »

"What did your ten Axe Lords do to celebrate Caravan Day?"

"Well..."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35234 on: June 29, 2014, 08:16:45 pm »

I'm beginning a new fort. (Again.) It's become a hobby to stick it out until something happens contrary to the way I'd planned. Then I abandon and do something else totally different.

This time I'm doing ye olde Prisoner challenge, where the starting seven are wardens and every migrant who arrives is a dangerous criminal who needs to be locked away. My biggest issue right now is actually separating the first five prisoners from my first seven dwarves. Burrow restrictions help somewhat, but a lasting solution is needed before we start getting larger waves. (It will happen sooner or later.)

Food will not be an issue. I have ten laying ducks and ten laying peahens. They'll produce enough eggs to feed an army for several centuries. I also have some pigs as a source of leather to clothe all of my prisoners and prevent tantrum spirals in the common area.

I'm not sure yet how to deliver food and supplies to the prisoner bunch, but I have some ideas. Now all I'm waiting on is dungeon layout inspiration.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 2347 2348 [2349] 2350 2351 ... 3842